Hey! First post here on ultimate guitar forums Basically I can't seem to get a good rock sound from my amp/guitars. I want a crisp rock sound (somthing like Green Day, The Hives etc). I have a Line 6 Spyder 3 Amp (2009 edition), and I'm currently using a PRS Santana SE. I also have an old squier strat, which seems to producing the same quality sound as the PRS (worrying, but it's probably because of the amp). Could anyone give me any tips to get a good rock sound? (minaly for power chords etc).
Everybody here will tell you the same thing - get a new amp. I'll go first:

Get a new amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you're going for a tighter sound, the bridge pickup is always the way to go. It's usually a little thinner and has more of a bite.

Funny, my first guitar was also a PRS SE (guess I got lucky?) but I was never a huge fan of the stock pickups on the SE models. They always seemed kind of dead. Maybe that's part of the problem.

And if you're not getting a satisfactory distortion tone out of the amp, why not get a new distortion pedal? I'm pretty sure Boss sells a satisfactory, entry level distortion pedal for a pretty reasonable price.

Otherwise, if you're willing to shell out some money, look into getting another amp. The Line 6's are marketed to beginner guitarists and aren't really quality amps.
Don your antithesis spectacle, your backwards monocle, and traipse forward to victory.
Quote by ProjectileQuiet
Otherwise, if you're willing to shell out some money, look into getting another amp. The Line 6's are marketed to beginner guitarists and aren't really quality amps.

Ha ha, I took the time to build up to it and say it nicely.
Don your antithesis spectacle, your backwards monocle, and traipse forward to victory.
Get a new amp.

Fcuking keep it going.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Thanks for advice. Strangely enough the amp isn't that old. I wasn't really up on amps at the time (this was before I got my PRS) It cost me £100 so I thought I was getting something at least average (I was wrong). The thing that surprised me was, I was over a friends who has a old squier strat and a old Fender amp (I assume it didn't cost him that much), and he had a pretty amazing tone, which was much better than mine.
Quote by Cathbard
Everybody here will tell you the same thing - get a new amp. I'll go first:

Get a new amp.

which fender amp did he have? don't go buying a frontman or something daft.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

which fender amp did he have? don't go buying a frontman or something daft.

I'm sure to be honest, I couldn't really tell you. On the subject of a new amp, what kind of amp should I be looking for, Marshall maybe? Bear in mind I'm a student with not much money
Budget? Location?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'm based in the Uk (wales), budget is probably <£300. Mostly Hard Rock/ Metal tones is what I'm looking for
Last edited by tomstar42 at Jun 29, 2010,
yeah, budget, what tones you're after, and location (not your address, lol, just your country), we need those to help.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
He's going a Greenday like rock tone, so that'll be a Marshall type tone. I've asked around about the Marshall MA series, they say it's not any good, don't get the MG, I actually would look at the Classic 5, it's a small 5 watt tube amp from Marshall that you'll be able to crank and not wake up the entire neighborhood. I think I saw it for about $300-$400 on www.SweetWater.com .
maybe you should get a new amp...
Quote by tubetime86
Most people don't give a shit about tone... We are the exception, not the rule.

I probably am a bit more rule than exception though
New amp.

Gotta agree on the 5 Watters!
Quote by TheChaz
I ran over two squirrels at once one time. They were chasing after each other in the street, and I swerved to avoid them, but ended up with one under each tire. Still my greatest driving accomplishment to date.

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Hitler could have been aborted