If money is not a problem for me is there any reason why buying a brand new Gibson Les Paul Traditional would not be a good idea?

I currently have a Gibson SG and really like. I also have a Marshall MG Mini Stack (I know, I know, I was high when I bought it).

Is there anyone with one that regrets buying one or has experienced any problems with it at all? A Gibson Les Paul is widely recognised as one of the world's finest and most iconic guitars in the ever but I guess I just want advise from some real people.
So, talk - good idea?
personally if i were willing to blow that much on a LP i'd save a bit more and get a custom shop one (if it had to be a gibson) or else take a look at the high-end MIJ stuff, tokai, navigator, bacchus and the like. At that kind of budget, something custom-made (e.g. feline) is also an option.

new amp is also pretty much a necessity.

EDIT: ok so i checked the prices and an r8 is a fair bit more... like another £500. Depends on how much you're already stretching to get to the traditional etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 29, 2010,
Quote by Dave_Mc
personally if i were willing to blow that much on a LP i'd save a bit more and get a custom shop one (if it had to be a gibson) or else take a look at the high-end MIJ stuff, tokai, navigator, bacchus and the like. At that kind of budget, something custom-made (e.g. feline) is also an option.

new amp is also pretty much a necessity.

What are the advantages of getting a custom made guitar rather than a standard one?

I would love nothing more than to buy a new amp but I am currently living in Brazil which has a different voltage to the UK (where I will move back next year) so any amp I buy now will not work in London so I don't wanna buy a new one until I move back.
the Kinman mod of putting a .0012 cap in series with a 130k resistor. Both of these mods are for 250k pot values.
rapapa
you should't because you need a new amp
and you shouldn't because if money is no object you should get a historic.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
advantage of a custom-made guitar is that you get it exactly the way you want it, if you want a different neck profile etc., and it should (if you pick a good luthier) be an excellent instrument, with the wood picked for that exact guitar, etc. etc.

However, there are disadvantages, too- resale value won't be as good, you have to wait for it to be built, you might change your mind about the spec you want (or you might not be able to decide on a spec). Not to mention, if the exact spec you want is available off the shelf, it's probably not worth it as much as if the exact spec you want isn't available off the shelf.

Fair enough about the amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'll get a new amp as soon as I can trust me and from what I have heard and read a historic is not as versatile as a standard one and though money is not a problem these historic guitars tend to be a lot more expensive without offering anything else.
Is this correct?
Quote by Dave_Mc
advantage of a custom-made guitar is that you get it exactly the way you want it, if you want a different neck profile etc., and it should (if you pick a good luthier) be an excellent instrument, with the wood picked for that exact guitar, etc. etc.

However, there are disadvantages, too- resale value won't be as good, you have to wait for it to be built, you might change your mind about the spec you want (or you might not be able to decide on a spec). Not to mention, if the exact spec you want is available off the shelf, it's probably not worth it as much as if the exact spec you want isn't available off the shelf.

Fair enough about the amp.

Thanks man - you've been a real help
i haven't tried a cs les paul but, as min says, they're meant to be head and shoulders above the non-cs stuff.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i haven't tried a cs les paul but, as min says, they're meant to be head and shoulders above the non-cs stuff.

Im buying it in New York and I will only be there for a few days. I i want to get it custom made will this be a problem?
oh when i said custom made I didn't mean gibson.

the custom shop gibson stuff isn't custom-made, it's just made to a higher standard than the "normal" gibson stuff (as far as i'm aware).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ahh I see. But what im saying is if I have to decide how exactly I want my guitar to be, tell the guy in the shop and then wait for it to be made and delivered I dont think it will be possible as I only in NYC for a week or so.
nah, there's no chance. i mean a custom-made guitar from an independent luthier who doesn't have any waiting list is going to take 3 or 4 months at the very bare minimum (unless they just happen to have one ready which has your spec, which is unlikely if the reason for going custom is getting something which you can't get off-the-shelf).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
if you're going to be in new york check out axeasylum in long island. their a suhr and anderson and bkp dealer.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer