So... Up until recently guitar playing was just a hobby, but now I'm starting to get more into it. So now I need a new amp or effects of something. I have a nice enough guitar (Telecaster). That was given to me. I have a 75w tube bass amp that was given to me, and I've run my telecaster through it and it sounds fine enough. Although I know eventually I'll get something better. It has nothing as far as an overdrive or distortion goes. So I'm thinking I'll need to get some pedals. Would you suggest buying pedals seperately and starting up a collection, or getting a multi-effects board? Also what do you think of the Boss DS-1, as a distortion pedal? Any other tips or suggestions are welcome too.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
so what you're saying is that, after getting out of the water naked with 5+ guys, you thought that once the girls were around you had better get some clothes on?

Quote by mishax92
You're going to need an actual guitar amp if you're planning on using distortion pedals.

Yeah, all those Brian Setzer albums have shown that there’s no way guitar effects can sound good through a bass amp.
K thanks... I've never tried so I don't know. I found a 100w line 6 amp, with the built in effects for a pretty cheap price. Is it even worth it or are they really that bad?
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
so what you're saying is that, after getting out of the water naked with 5+ guys, you thought that once the girls were around you had better get some clothes on?

Quote by TheHobbit
K thanks... I've never tried so I don't know. I found a 100w line 6 amp, with the built in effects for a pretty cheap price. Is it even worth it or are they really that bad?

Is it used? What model is it? The Flextones and Vetta are generally regarded as being pretty good, the Spiders on the other hand are not so popular and you can likely get better for the money.

Quote by mishax92
You're going to need an actual guitar amp if you're planning on using distortion pedals.

Most definitely not true, my BOSS Metal Zone actually sounds fantastic through my bass amp while sounding terrible through my guitar amp.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Last edited by GNR4EVER at Jun 29, 2010,
Oh shoot... differing opinions... I know friends with pedals. I'll test it out before I buy anything.

edit: If you have any suggestions on a new amp that may be pretty cheap that would work, thatd be awesome. I dont have a ton of extra money atm so thats a limiting factor. I thought I could get by with my bass amp, but if i can't i can't.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

Last edited by TheHobbit at Jun 29, 2010,
My personal opinion on distortion pedals is that they're not really necessary, if you have an amp with nice distortion already there's really no point of getting a distortion pedal, better to get a footswitch. An OD on the other hand can be an interesting way to colour your sound if you're into hi-gain stuff.
Quote by mishax92

Here's one massive example of how wrong this is:

The Fender Bassman was a bass amplifier introduced by Fender in 1952. Although it was originally designed for bass guitars, it was frequently used for normal electric guitar in rock and roll, blues, and country bands. Up to until 1954, the Bassman amps had only 1 speaker (circuit 5B6), but it was the four 10" speaker combination that came to be one of the greatest and most sought after amplifiers in history.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
what's your budget and location?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
what's your budget and location?

Im in atlanta and my budget is as cheap as possible but definately not over $100. Which I know is reslly cheap in buying gear. I've been craiglist searching this morning.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

i'm guessing you can do a lot better than a ds1 if you're willing to look used with $100... just check craigslist and see what's going for sale at the moment.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?