Page 1 of 2
But I thought I'd ask you guys about it first.

Anyone have any experience with teh lower end (SE) PRS models? Are they worth the 600 bucks they are usually priced at? Keep in mind I'd probably put on new pups and switch the pots/tuners eventually, if that makes any difference.

I'm probably going to get one (after trying it out of course) after I get my new head, the JCA50H, whenever that comes out in America. Might get a new cab too, but that isn't huge priority for me.

Suggestions for any other amps/guitars are welcome though.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
It is pretty well considered a fact that the PRS SE line are possibly the best value in that price range that there is.

EDIT: I own one - nothing but good stuff as far as im concerned.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier

Jackson DKMG

Hot Rodded Telecaster

"of course he`s egotistical we`re all egotistical if we weren`t we`d be bassists."

Alter Bridge Pearl Jam Foo Fighters 3 Doors Down
prs se's are awesome especially if u replace the pups. my friend has one and i used to.
The Strats you can get for that money aren't bad either...
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
EDIT: I know, I've considered getting one, I'm a fan of Fender as well.

That's what I'm trying to decide on.

Quote by SilentFactor
It is pretty well considered a fact that the PRS SE line are possibly the best value in that price range that there is.

EDIT: I own one - nothing but good stuff as far as im concerned.

Well that's good to hear

That's probably the most of my own money that I'd spend on a guitar, I can't justify spending 3 grand on anything right now. So I'd like to get the best possible guitar with round 600-800 that I can get, mostly for playability reasons.

If you had to compare it to either Gibson or Fender, which qualities does it have that more closely resemble each camp? Sound-wise, feel-wise, etc.
Last edited by CL/\SH at Jun 29, 2010,
The SE line of guitars are actually pretty decent guitars for the price without having to replace anything on them.
Dam fine guitar and i doubt you'd need a tuner or pot switch as the stock are pretty decent pickups aren't bad either. I would look at the MIM fender deluxe, maybe ibanez S series and godin guitars aswell though.
SMILE!
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
Dam fine guitar and i doubt you'd need a tuner or pot switch as the stock are pretty decent pickups aren't bad either. I would look at the MIM fender deluxe, maybe ibanez S series and godin guitars aswell though.

I'm considering any and every option, thanks for the input and suggestions.
Get a PRS SE Mikael Akerfeldt sig... or a SBMM JP50. Both are worth it.
Gear

Guitars: '02 Ibanez Jem 7vwh
ESP LTD Alexi 600 Yellow
Ibanez RG560CA w/ SD Invader
Carvin DC747 Vintage Yellow
Ibanez RGA 8 QM w/ Dimarzio D-Active and PAF 8
Washburn KC-70v
Bass: 1980 Aria Pro II SB Elite II
Amps: Vox VT20+
Quote by Wolf 6
Get a PRS SE Mikael Akerfeldt sig... or a SBMM JP50. Both are worth it.

I'll look into it, thank you.
How´s about the Torero ? I just set up and tested a few recently for some guitar mags and they have been getting some good reviews. They really are nice, but cost a little more then the others.
Great guitars for the price
Although, the stock PUPs are great, and aren't really worth replacing
You won't get anything better for the price really
I would say they are better then any Gibson or Fender at a similar price
Se models go for $300 used, great guitars for the price.

rather than spend $600-800 on a new one,

at that point just save for a used USA model. it's worth the wait.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
Se models go for $300 used, great guitars for the price.

rather than spend $600-800 on a new one,

at that point just save for a used USA model. it's worth the wait.

not a fan of used gear, least of all guitars.

If it was an amp I'd consider it, but I can't try out a used piece of equipment from some guy in Pennsylvania before buying it from him, if that makes any sense.

And thanks for the input on the pups/hardware.

And if it makes a difference, I play punk (obviously), blues, alternative, some metal, hardcore, and jazz.
You could probably snag an awesome deal on a used SE if you looked around for a while. It's not like you're going to get less out of a well taken care of, used guitar than a brand new one.
Last edited by BurningStarlV at Jun 30, 2010,
Quote by BurningStarlV
You could probably snag an awesome deal on a used SE.

True, but as I said, I like to inspect and evaluate a guitar before buying, I don't want to order a dud online that just so happened to have a fudged up headstock/truss rod etc.
Quote by CL/\SH
True, but as I said, I like to inspect and evaluate a guitar before buying, I don't want to order a dud online that just so happened to have a fudged up headstock/truss rod etc.

That's understandable.

I had pretty awesome luck finding my old Santana SE used in my local guitar shop.
That's pretty awesome. See if I could try out a used guitar at a shop before buying, that would be cool, but no way am I gonna pay for something (a guitar in particular) on craigslist without seeing it in person and playing it first.
at the prs se level it's probably smarter to buy new or used only if you can test it out.
if you know what your doing used consistency is fairly good in the higher ranges.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
at the prs se level it's probably smarter to buy new or used only if you can test it out.
if you know what your doing used consistency is fairly good in the higher ranges.

Exactly my point.

And what do you all think of these? I started looking at strats and liked what I saw, still gonna try any of these before really considering em.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-HSS-Electric-Guitar-105156673-i1431994.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-HSS-FR-Electric-Guitar-501161-i1432247.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Deluxe-Strat--HSS--Electric-Guitar-510477-i1146402.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Highway-One-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-103862553-i1167439.gc

And yes, I'm definitely looking at the fat strats. For my style of playing (both for my band and myself) the humbucker is a must in the bridge.
go to a store find a guitar you like and buy that one. you got 30 days to change your mind. decide with your fingers not with the internet.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
go to a store find a guitar you like and buy that one. you got 30 days to change your mind. decide with your fingers not with the internet.

Once again, the wisdom of AcousticMirror is win.
i herd u liek teh mudkipz?

Anyway,
I've played some PRS guitars before, and the necks didn't feel too right. But they sound really nice

I'd choose an HSS Highway 1 Strat over one though, for sure.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
i herd u liek teh mudkipz?

Anyway,
I've played some PRS guitars before, and the necks didn't feel too right. But they sound really nice

I'd choose an HSS Highway 1 Strat over one though, for sure.

thanks for the input.

Sound isn't the hugest issue, for me that comes after playability. It doesn't matter how good it sounds, if it plays like a guitar hero controller it's not worth it. Besides, the amp shapes the sound much more than the guitar, so long as I've a good amp, I can eq it to make the guitar sound as good as I want it to.
Quote by CL/\SH
thanks for the input.

Sound isn't the hugest issue, for me that comes after playability. It doesn't matter how good it sounds, if it plays like a guitar hero controller it's not worth it. Besides, the amp shapes the sound much more than the guitar, so long as I've a good amp, I can eq it to make the guitar sound as good as I want it to.

Sound should be a pretty big issue. They're going to be two totally different sounding guitars. The PRS will sound way more mellow and dark, the Fender will sound brighter and crisper. Doesn't matter HOW good the amp is, you'll never get one to sound like the other, especially when one has two single coils.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Sound should be a pretty big issue. They're going to be two totally different sounding guitars. The PRS will sound way more mellow and dark, the Fender will sound brighter and crisper. Doesn't matter HOW good the amp is, you'll never get one to sound like the other, especially when one has two single coils.

I understand that. It's a big issue, but not as big as playability. I should have worded that better, but I never said sound didn't matter.

And I'm starting to like the prospect of getting a Strat more. They sound more like what I need, and I already have a Les Paul for darker sounding material.
Quote by CL/\SH
I understand that. It's a big issue, but not as big as playability. I should have worded that better, but I never said sound didn't matter.

And I'm starting to like the prospect of getting a Strat more. They sound more like what I need, and I already have a Les Paul for darker sounding material.

Well having an LP already gives you the tones a PRS could have... a Strat definitely could be for the better.

But then you have to ask yourself, single coils, or HSS? Realistically you could wire the humbucker in an HSS Strat to be coil-split, so it would be more like a single coil. I'm not sure how to go about coil-splitting. Most of the real coil-splitting I've seen on a guitar uses a flip switch. Push-pull pots are more for coil-tap, I believe. Which sounds more like a noiseless single coil.
Quote by CL/\SH
but no way am I gonna pay for something (a guitar in particular) on craigslist without seeing it in person and playing it first.

you don't know how it works do you?

you meet the person, test the guitar, and decide to either buy it or not. you don't have to buy it if you don't want to.

i also would rather have an 80's MIJ fender to a modern hwy1, but that's opinion. both are around $450 used.

but you play before you buy with craigslist.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jun 30, 2010,
Quote by sstony
The SE line of guitars are actually pretty decent guitars for the price without having to replace anything on them.

eh, i disagree about not having to replace anything. the pots on my SE are horrid. i dont know how ive gotten by so long without replacing them. all 4 are scratchy, have dead spots and arent smooth sound-wise. otherwise it is a very solid guitar, feels good and sound good. but the pots are bad.

also, i must throw out that ive played some shoddy SE models. it is very much try before you buy. maybe not so much with the recent runs since people dont have the issue, but there was a point when i was playing a couple every time i was in my local store. most were fine, but some were not worth the price.

of course goes the same with the standard strats. ive played some that felt amazing. great necks and everything was well put together. then ive played others where it almost was like they forgot to trim the frets and there were some other issues.

i think either would be a solid choice, but definatly dont buy blind.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Well having an LP already gives you the tones a PRS could have... a Strat definitely could be for the better.

But then you have to ask yourself, single coils, or HSS? Realistically you could wire the humbucker in an HSS Strat to be coil-split, so it would be more like a single coil. I'm not sure how to go about coil-splitting. Most of the real coil-splitting I've seen on a guitar uses a flip switch. Push-pull pots are more for coil-tap, I believe. Which sounds more like a noiseless single coil.

For the styles I play, both onstage and off, HSS is perfect, with or without the coil split.

And I understand that about the used gear but what if the guy lives in New York or something ( really far from where I live)

And to Jof, yeah I hear you, I'd never buy blind.
Quote by jof1029
eh, i disagree about not having to replace anything. the pots on my SE are horrid. i dont know how ive gotten by so long without replacing them. all 4 are scratchy, have dead spots and arent smooth sound-wise. otherwise it is a very solid guitar, feels good and sound good. but the pots are bad.

also, i must throw out that ive played some shoddy SE models. it is very much try before you buy. maybe not so much with the recent runs since people dont have the issue, but there was a point when i was playing a couple every time i was in my local store. most were fine, but some were not worth the price.

of course goes the same with the standard strats. ive played some that felt amazing. great necks and everything was well put together. then ive played others where it almost was like they forgot to trim the frets and there were some other issues.

i think either would be a solid choice, but definatly dont buy blind.

Were they that way when you bought it ? no. That could happen to any guitar no matter kind of electronics you put in there. What I´m saying is that you do not have to change anything on those guitars unless you want to, if they are defective well then thats a different story.
My SE One was my main live guitar for ages and it's not a backup to my tele- it's awesome.
Quote by sstony
Were they that way when you bought it ? no. That could happen to any guitar no matter kind of electronics you put in there. What I´m saying is that you do not have to change anything on those guitars unless you want to, if they are defective well then thats a different story.

yes, the pots were that way when i bought it brand new. if it was 1 or 2 of the pots then maybe it makes sense that they were defective. but when all 4 are bad, then thats them just using cheap pots. maybe theyve improved in recent years, but i know ive had issues with the pots on my guitar and a couple other se models ive tried.
i also know people who had a some problems with the tuners. mine are excellent and hold tune well. other people were tuning up after every song or two.

again, im not saying they are bad guitars, but the QC is a little lax since they are PRS's budget line. a lot of the SE models ive played have had something that i think needed changing out. usually it was something that was like $20 or less. worth buying and fixing that 1 small issue? yes. but to say that they dont need anything changed out is stretching it.
I'd get a Torero, they are smexy as hell. Oh god, I want one....
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Gold Top
Vox VT30
going from 300 used to 3000 is huge. especially in the real world with bills, college, work, insurance, etc. i mean, im not sure how many decades it wil ltake me to justify spending 3000 in guitar. probably not in the next 10 years.

so "just save up" is a huge understatement. i mean it would only take me a year to go from a bugera v22 to an egnater rebel 30 or something, but i have no idea what my expenses will be or where in the country i will be.

so present day a 350-400 dollar tube amp is all i can do. what im sayin is...same concept might apply.

back on topic, i LOVE the se line. the single cuts are like super sexy les pauls - slimmed down and rounded. awesome.
Quote by CL/\SH
For the styles I play, both onstage and off, HSS is perfect, with or without the coil split.

And I understand that about the used gear but what if the guy lives in New York or something ( really far from where I live)

And to Jof, yeah I hear you, I'd never buy blind.

If you still wanted that classy kind of LP look, I could show you this:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Solo6-Special-Electric-Guitar?sku=584536

Only thing I'd do is swap out the bridge for a real Duncan, but leave the P100 in there. Coil tap on both pickups.
Quote by jof1029
yes, the pots were that way when i bought it brand new. if it was 1 or 2 of the pots then maybe it makes sense that they were defective. but when all 4 are bad, then thats them just using cheap pots. maybe theyve improved in recent years, but i know ive had issues with the pots on my guitar and a couple other se models ive tried.
i also know people who had a some problems with the tuners. mine are excellent and hold tune well. other people were tuning up after every song or two.

again, im not saying they are bad guitars, but the QC is a little lax since they are PRS's budget line. a lot of the SE models ive played have had something that i think needed changing out. usually it was something that was like $20 or less. worth buying and fixing that 1 small issue? yes. but to say that they dont need anything changed out is stretching it.

You bought a new guitar and all of the pots were not working, what ????
PRS SE's are magnificent, I would honestly say they are the greatest guitar built outside of the USA.
Quote by bemiswins
if someone flames you on the internet for music you like, they fail.

Here's my YouTube if anyone wants to see some of my videos.
My PRS SE was the first guitar I bought with my own money that I had worked so hard for and I don't regret it one bit!
At first I was going for a Fender MIM Strat, but even though I was like 99% that I was gonna get that I went home to think it over carefully (because some wise man on a forum told me so) and it just happened that we visited my dads brother that day and he's an incredible musician and he's been playing guitar for like 25+ years and we started talking about me buying that strat. Anyways, he told me to check out this PRS model if I hadn't already (I hadn't) before buying the strat, so as I trust his knowledge, the very next weekend I went in to a larger city (as they didn't have any PRS in my little town), and I fell in love immediately! It just felt like I had total control over my hands and playing, a feeling I had never really experienced before! Didn't go home to think about it this time, so I bought it and haven't looked back since!

Edit: Oh, almost forgot: The only right answer to a thread like this is: ALWAYS go try the guitar out yourself before buying!
You'll Never Walk Alone!
Last edited by Muffinz at Jul 1, 2010,
Quote by sstony
You bought a new guitar and all of the pots were not working, what ????

electronics are easily changed. that was the only problem with the guitar. if the neck is nice, the sound is nice and the whole damn guitar is nice except for some scratcy pots, well i can fix that with $20 and 10 minutes of my time. things like the neck and body are not cheap or easy to replace. but pots, i just keep forgetting to tack them on to my orders from parts suppliers. not a huge deal once i get around to it, but it is a problem.
Page 1 of 2