Page 1 of 4
So I've been thinking about the use of accesories (or lack of it) in society. In the wild sexual ornamentation is basically the extra stuff an animal has to attract a mate. Peacocks have their bright, big tail to attract females, some animals have huge tusks and other animals have long, bright, multicoloured or large things. The males have these large and energydraining affects so the females think "my oh my look at that large/bright tail/other" and mate with them because if the male can get away with having these practically unneccessary things they must have a high fitness and can produce good offspring.

So what about humans? We still do, but what are generally our means of displaying and having sexual ornamentation? And do you have and display any of it? I don't mean the size of your penis or anything but more like jewellry, hair that stand out or do you have alot of activities you do that sort of 'display' your vast resources and fitness? Maybe you're funny and smart?

Personally I have a few wristbands, rings and a necklace, as for activities well... I do go out running now and then, exercise a bit and take interest in the sciences and instruments. And I'd say I'm pretty funny and smart.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Last edited by Kensai at Jun 29, 2010,
I wear makeup every day, I get bleachd highlights put in my hair. I am fond of short skirts.

Or am I getting the wrong idea, it's just about ways you improve your physical appearance, right?
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I wear makeup every day, I get bleachd highlights put in my hair. I am fond of short skirts.

Or am I getting the wrong idea, it's just about ways you improve your physical appearance, right?

No you got it right. Imagine if a bunch of aliens studied us from space, how would they say "Hm, the females try to attract the men (or vice versa) this way...".
I'm funny and smart, I try to buy nice clothes and I make sure my hair looks decent.
It's common sense, actually.
I wrap a cucumber in tin foil and put it in my pants. I tend to get busted at airport security though.
Battling FC: 0259 8373 3725
I haven't been on here for a long time but I know that Kensai is smart and funny, and fairly sexy.
As for myself, similar attributes, I then brush my hair because then the girls will want to **** me more.

EDIT: I forgot that naughty words got star*ed out on this forum.
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

SuperLol'd
Last edited by slashrock94 at Jun 29, 2010,
Trim the banzai tree.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Quote by bearsfan092
I wrap a cucumber in tin foil and put it in my pants. I tend to get busted at airport security though.

The sustain!
Quote by Kensai
No you got it right. Imagine if a bunch of aliens studied us from space, how would they say "Hm, the females try to attract the men (or vice versa) this way...".

Hm, but how much is purposeful and how much is so socially ingrained we don't even think of it any more?

I don't wear makeup to attract males, I wear it so I'm not ugly. Obviously that can be deconstructed

And I get invisible tattoos so I don't know how much of an act of peacocking that is either
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Hm, but how much is purposeful and how much is so socially ingrained we don't even think of it any more?

I don't wear makeup to attract males, I wear it so I'm not ugly. Obviously that can be deconstructed

I almost posted until I scrolled down and read this.

I have long (naturally) red hair, but I don't do it to attract females I have it so I can sleep on it and so I don't look like Beaker from the Muppets. I also have a few piercings that wouldn't be used for attraction purposes even though a lot of people think body modification is purely aesthetic.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
I had a peacock's tail surgically attached to my lower spine
WARUM TUT ES WEH, WENN ICH PINKLE?!
Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."

Quote by Axelfox
Disregard that,i suck cocks.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

And I get invisible tattoos so I don't know how much of an act of peacocking that is either

I don't really know, I wonder if some of it is just a means of displaying what group you belong to, or social status. Or social status in a group. For the purpose of the thread I'm going to say it's all sexual ornamentation though

And psh... you wouldnt look ugly without makeup.
I'm funny (just not on UG), I'm a runner, i play sports and stuff so i exercise quite a bit. Apparently girls like it when i wear eyeliner (sadly, it looks good on me), and i've always been told that i have beautiful/nice hair.

edit: I also have pretty womanly features, so i tend to attract lesbians.
Sail upon the open skies
Last edited by angusfan16 at Jun 29, 2010,
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

You're not ugly. I say this in the least pathetic-sounding way possible, of course.
My sunglasses invoke a sense of mystery to the female, increasing the activity of her imagination and causing an interest to court with me.
Because we seperate... it ripples our reflections.
.snoitcelfer ruo selppir ti...etarepes ew esuaceB
Men - Cars, being fit, acting like an obnoxious ass.

Women - Makeup, handbags, clothing, lying.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
none / I tell jokes
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Everything I do visually, or to improve myself, I do for myself only. But maybe I'm not reading your question right.
bright colored polos, girls love the bright colored polos
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Follow me on the tweet machine. I tweet about interesting things like the weather and what I ate for breakfast.
Quote by strat0blaster
Men - Cars, being fit, acting like an obnoxious ass.

Women - Makeup, handbags, clothing, lying.

this.

Also, our ornamentation was our ability to survive without being the fastest, strongest, or biggest. If you are smart enough and in good enough shape to survive in the wilderness, then you're worth mating with. If you think about it the world still kinda works like that in a way. it's just changed to match current life.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
women wear heels to make their legs look better (when im not feeling lazy i do)
we buy clothes to flatter our figur
dye our hair, use makeup, jewlery, perfume, ect...
i have a sweet car - that attracts som guys lol
but animals lack the ability to attract mates based on personality.
i would say my personality makes up 99% of what attract men to me....
im smart, witty, always smiling, easy to get along with, fun, kinda wild , but very passionate
and i do things to better me as a person and im always working on ways to improve myself.
Quote by spanishyanez
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a M0lliP0Ps?

the world may never know!

e-married to KENSAI

如果你可以阅读这个,你是中国人。
I'm assuming this thread could be nicknamed "Things people do to get laid."
I think its more about conversing with the ladies. Or the lack of conversing. For instance i just say nothing. then when the tension becomes too much to bear, you finally, finally, you just say "How about it, then?"
e-cookie to whoever gets the reference.
Jewelry and accessories are for twats. How does sticking bits of crap on yourself improve your appearance?

Accessories are at least better than jewelry because they can easily be cheap. But spending thousands of pounds on a shiny piece of stone? That's just dumb.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
I don't do anything to "ornament" myself, I just do whatever I want, and if a girl finds it attractive, so be it. Luckily, my gf has found me pretty attractive without having to dress up like a moron in tacky clothes and accessories.
Quote by Kensai

And psh... you wouldnt look ugly without makeup.

Quote by Dirge Humani
You're not ugly. I say this in the least pathetic-sounding way possible, of course.

Well you have never seen me without makeup, so you wouldn't know

Seriously, I'm naturally blonde. Blonde eyelashes is not a good look, I look like Charlize Theron in Monster...
Idk... I guess I dye my hair, piercings, tattoos etc. But that's for me so eh. If anything I wear low cut tops or dresses/skirts when out but that's not so much ornamentation.
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
I play rugby, and keep playing partly because girls like it. I gel/style my hair, wear clothes that show of my attributes etc.
Quote by slash11896
I picked up my guitar this morning and started playing next thing i know i cant stop playing In the key of A, the first letter or her name, I ended up recording a whole song in A.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
Quote by Dirge Humani
On topic: I grow a beard so I appear more masculine and virile.

And totally not because I'm too lazy to shave.

LOL!!!!!!!!!
Quote by spanishyanez
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a M0lliP0Ps?

the world may never know!

e-married to KENSAI

如果你可以阅读这个,你是中国人。
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Idk... I guess I dye my hair, piercings, tattoos etc. But that's for me so eh. If anything I wear low cut tops or dresses/skirts when out but that's not so much ornamentation.

Yeah I'm not so sure where the line is.

Isn't dressing up to go out just about making you feel better about yourself and not about attracting a mate?

(I'm sure it is for some people, but whatever)
Quote by Meths
Jewelry and accessories are for twats. How does sticking bits of crap on yourself improve your appearance?

Accessories are at least better than jewelry because they can easily be cheap. But spending thousands of pounds on a shiny piece of stone? That's just dumb.

Doesn't have to be like a stereotype gangsta rapper, maybe something subtler (and cheaper)

Also it's higher social status so I guess it does improve their appearance. Atleast in the gangsta rapper groups.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Well you have never seen me without makeup, so you wouldn't know

Seriously, I'm naturally blonde. Blonde eyelashes is not a good look, I look like Charlize Theron in Monster...

Oh psh, I bet you don't.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Yeah I'm not so sure where the line is.

Isn't dressing up to go out just about making you feel better about yourself and not about attracting a mate?

(I'm sure it is for some people, but whatever)

I'd argue that it's a bit of both. Wouldn't wear it if we thought it looked bad. But then also obviously humans do look for attention sometimes.

EDIT: Also most of my ornamentation works as a deterrent so...
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Last edited by RevaM1ssP1ss at Jun 29, 2010,
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

I'm also quite fond of your short skirts.
I have no need for trinkets and baubles. I simply be me.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
wow, maybe this is my problem, im gonna start wearing wristbands, neclaces and stuff like that. Let the women pour in!!

on a serious note, i wear nothing else than shirt, pants and shoes. And underwear. I do consider myself pretty amusing and at least a bit brainy. Im too shy to gett that trough tho.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
I'm a cunt
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Quote by leg end
I'm also quite fond of your short skirts.

That's a conundrum then seeing as we've never met and I've never uploaded photos of myself in a skirt to the internet...

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
I'd argue that it's a bit of both. Wouldn't wear it if we thought it looked bad. But then also obviously humans do look for attention sometimes.

EDIT: Also most of my ornamentation works as a deterrent so...

Agreed, and I like the hair and piercings!
Last edited by Mistress_Ibanez at Jun 29, 2010,
Page 1 of 4