im a guitar player who still lives at home temporarily. i usually use my headphones for my amp and have my laptop for playin along with the song however...my dad complains he can still hear it. is there anyway i can use a mixer or anything so i can use one pair of headphones for everything?
Wow, your dad seems to have issues. Laptops are generally not that loud. But yeah, you can plug it all into a mixer and use the headphone out.

Tell your Dad when you're rich and famous, he ain't gettin Sheeeeet!
Arguing on the Internet is a lot like being in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded
can you plug the guitar directly into the laptop? that way the amp wouldn't be making noise at all, and you could plug the headphones directly in to the laptop too...

Also, if you want to spend the money to buy a new amp, the amp I have has a headphone jack, and when I plug headphones in, the actual amp doesn't make any noise at all, I think buying plugs to plug your guitar into the computer would be a whole lot cheaper though.
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
What amp? With some amps, you can put a 3.5mm jack into them and play your audio from a PC, ipod etc that way. That would solve your problem.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by sites.nick
can you plug the guitar directly into the laptop? that way the amp wouldn't be making noise at all, and you could plug the headphones directly in to the laptop too...

Also, if you want to spend the money to buy a new amp, the amp I have has a headphone jack, and when I plug headphones in, the actual amp doesn't make any noise at all, I think buying plugs to plug your guitar into the computer would be a whole lot cheaper though.
This.

You could even go from the headphone output on your amp (so you can use your amp settings) directly into your laptop. Either way though, you'll probably need a 1/4" male to 1/8" male cable.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Mines a Peavy (not sure about what kind of Peavy, but thats the brand) and I can plug pretty much any headphones I want directly into the amp
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
sweeet. thanks for the help guys and yes my dad aint gettin shhheeeeeet hahaha. but ya i think ima go with a mixer cuz my amp doesnt have two input jacks for as big as it is and i dont have any sort of distortion on my laptop.
Kick your dad out, he's a sissy...
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
If I wanna play late at night and don't feel like pissing the neighbours off I play my guitar through the amp with a pair of headphones on and then any backing music I want I play through my laptop with earphones underneath the headphones from the amp. Works a treat.