Hey guys. I was checking out some pedals, and I wanted some help. I want either a Flanger or Phaser, and to be honest, I'm not quite sure of the difference in effects. I know they are different, but it sounds so slight to me.

Just to aid in helping my decide, I play Stoner Rock, Blues, Hard Rock and Metal. Things along those lines.

(I like the MXR Phase 90 a lot, but I kind of want to know the difference between flanger and phaser first, before I decide)
Gear:
ZT Lunchbox Amp
Schecter C-1+ Diamond Series
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Boss DD-7 Digital Delay
Digitech Whammy
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
EHX Pocket Metal Muff
EHX Small Stone
EHX Memory Toy
EHX Holy Grail
Boss RC-20XL Loop Station
I can tell you all the technical differences but you won't be happier, the differences in sound are that flanger sounds more metallic-y and is more integrated in you sound IMO. Flanger sounds more natural. I like flanger more than phaser.
Last edited by WtrPlyr at Jun 29, 2010,
flanger is like chorus on steroids, and a phaser changes the bandwidth (i think that's what it is)
it does the same thing as a wah wah, only it is always steadily changing the bandwidth controlled by a rate or speed button, while a wah-wah changes this with the movement of the pedal
Quote by LzAn2424
flanger is like chorus on steroids, and a phaser changes the bandwidth (i think that's what it is)
it does the same thing as a wah wah, only it is always steadily changing the bandwidth controlled by a rate or speed button, while a wah-wah changes this with the movement of the pedal

actually, i think phaser does the complete opposite to the sound as to what an auto-wah does. This is something i've experienced whilst messing with parametric equalisers and stuff - a more similar sound to a phaser that i've got from a parametric EQ is to cut out a small group of frequencies and then twiddle the frequency control up and down to shift the gap in the frequency curve up and down the spectrum - i'm pretty sure wah uses a pretty much identical principal to this except that it is boosting the small range of frequencies and the pot within the wah works the same as the frequency control on said parametric EQ... (or not so much boosting, as cutting all the other frequencies a considerable amount)

i hope that makes sense, it made sense in my head
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
For phaser references, listen to Breathe by Pink Floyd, and Isak by Baroness. Breathe has a light phase over the guitar, while Isak has a heavy phase and mute picking for the intro. Check out the EHX Smallstone as well, I played the Phase 90 with it when I was trying to determine which phaser to buy and settled on the EHX.
Quote by offbest
For phaser references, listen to Breathe by Pink Floyd, and Isak by Baroness. Breathe has a light phase over the guitar, while Isak has a heavy phase and mute picking for the intro. Check out the EHX Smallstone as well, I played the Phase 90 with it when I was trying to determine which phaser to buy and settled on the EHX.

Thanks man, thanks everyone actually. I'm really diggin' the EHX one. Just wondering, do you know the specs of it? Like the dimensions. I'm going to be getting a bunch of their nanos, but I want to make sure they will fit on my board before I get them. Haha.
Gear:
ZT Lunchbox Amp
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Boss DD-7 Digital Delay
Digitech Whammy
EHX Pocket Metal Muff
EHX Small Stone
EHX Memory Toy
EHX Holy Grail
Boss RC-20XL Loop Station
Quote by RHunterGN
Thanks man, thanks everyone actually. I'm really diggin' the EHX one. Just wondering, do you know the specs of it? Like the dimensions. I'm going to be getting a bunch of their nanos, but I want to make sure they will fit on my board before I get them. Haha.

Anyone know this answer?
Gear:
ZT Lunchbox Amp
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Boss DD-7 Digital Delay
Digitech Whammy
EHX Pocket Metal Muff
EHX Small Stone
EHX Memory Toy
EHX Holy Grail