I've been looking all over for tutorials on rhythm slashes, but I've only been able to find basic tutorials..

A songbook I have has a bunch of rhythm slashes (which is essentially the strumming pattern yeah?), but a bunch of notation that I cannot recognize.

I don't understand:
- Connections above the rhythm slashes mean what?
- Rhythm slashes with more slashes = muted?
- One and two leaf clover things between slashes?
- Arc thing that goes across between two slashes?

If anyone could point me in some direction that would be lovely! It's embarrassing how little I know
- One and two leaf clover things between slashes?
Rests. More specifically, quaver and semiquaver rests.
- Arc thing that goes across between two slashes?
A tie.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
The connections above the slashes indicate the length of the strum, just like regular sheet music.
Native Pride

Better to reign in hell

Member of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join, luthier's only
Member of The Future Embrace, UG's Billy Corgan/Smashing Pumpkins fan club. PM musiclover2399 to join .
Imagine the slashes are note heads. Then read it like normal rhythm in notation. For everything else you can just find a lesson about rhythm in standard notation and apply it to the slashes.
They are like normal notes except instead or positioning themselves on the stave they are labelled with the chord name. The rhythm of the notes or chords is read the same way as you would in standard notation of music. To understand how to read the rhythm then I suggest you look up some simple music theory, it's part of about grade one or so it's not too difficult to understand.
Q: What's the difference between a Mexican standard tele and an American standard tele?

A: £600
What does it mean when a rhythm slash has a line through the "notehead"? Does that mean to palm mute it? Can't seem to find it in the legend of the tablature book I'm using.
^ I think it means regular mute. If it said "P.M." it would mean palm mute. But seriously, just listen to the song. You should be able to figure it out by listening (does it sound like regular mute or palm mute).

Also this thread is 4 years old...
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115