Hey there... I'm looking to purchase my first electric after learning to play an acoustic for the last 6 months. So i am pretty much brand new when it comes to guitars, electric or otherwise.

After doing quite a bit of research on the bands i like and the style i would like to play it appears a Les Paul would be best for me, although as i have a very broad taste a Strat also is a possibility but for now it seems the LP would perhaps be ideal.

The bands i like and would be looking to draw influence from for my style of play are the likes of Led Zep, Guns N' Roses, and Lynyrd Skynyrd mainly but i also love Pink Floyd, Hendrix, Rolling Stones and many, many more...

So i'm after opinions on the axe and amp mentioned in the title the Epi LP Tribute and the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60. Am i better off going for a cheaper guitar and amp now to learn on then when i have the knowledge going for something higher end like a Gibson and seperate pedals? Also the amp is a modelling amp which would be used for practice and jamming with friends but would i be better off getting a multi FX board like the Line 6 Pod or Zoom G2 and a seperate cheaper amp so when i do upgrade amp i can use the multi FX board?

I don't have a set budget but as i'm just starting out i proberly would find it hard to go out and spend more than £1,500-£1,800.

Thanks,
Paul
Last edited by damncold at Jun 29, 2010,
sounds good, but id look into a strat hss. sounds more like what you want
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
Thanks for the reply. In the future i can definately see myself with a Strat and a Les Paul so it doesn't matter too much which one i get first. The Fender Strat's do seem more modestly priced than a Gibson LP so maybe i would be better to start with the strat then get the Epi/Gibson LP later, so i will have a look at a HSS strat aswell thanks.
I would suggest for saving for something better on both accounts. Gibson will be much better than an epiphone, and the vypyrs are entry level amps and show it. They are also hybrid so you're not going to get the all tube tone everyone is looking for. it might be okay now but you'll definitely want to replace both of them very soon down the line. Much more worth it to save for better guitar and amp.

EDIT:For some retarded reason a lot of people on here jock the vypyrs, but in my opinion they are pieces of garbage, not much of a step of from any other solid state or hybrid amp. For the same price of a new vypyr you could get another used all tube amp that sounds 100 times better. And just cause an amp offers more onboard effects doesn't really mean anything. Plus modelers are annoying(atleast to me)
Thanks for the suggestions. The thinking behind picking a modelling amp is so i can get to experiment with effects and tones. Any suggestions of a good tune amp to use for bedroom practice and playing with friends?
TBH I don't think you would need a Gibson nor an all tube amp if you've been playing Acoustic for only 6 months. You made a good choice choosing the Epi and Vypyr. The Epiphone is a great guitar that you can learn to setup and adjust. You wouldn't want to risk messing up a $1000 Gibson. The Vypyr is generally said to be a great starter amp on these forums, and one of the best modeling amps. I have yet to try the Tube version, but even the Solid State gives great distorted tones with equally good cleans.
Quote by damncold
Thanks for the suggestions. The thinking behind picking a modelling amp is so i can get to experiment with effects and tones. Any suggestions of a good tune amp to use for bedroom practice and playing with friends?

check out a Peavey 6505 or 5150. You could probably get one for around half of your budget, and use the other half on an axe.