I basically want a nice low wattage tube amp for bedroom usage. Okay so there are about a million of those threads. However I've narrowed it down to either a Zvex Nano Head, or a Vox Night Train Head (although other suggestions are welcome if you have a strong aversion to both of these). Because I'm not in a position to try them out, I need a bit of help.

Basically from what I can ascertain, the Night Train seems more versatile and tweak-able (with bright/thick, real eq, and a master volume). The Zvex's primary advantage then, is that it seems to be better for bedroom playing. Is the Night Train as effective for this (with the whole triode option) or would I be better off with the nano?

Thanks for the help.
Epiphone do some nice 5 W tube amps. Blackstar HT-5? Erm, there are actually plenty. Also, Marshall stacks are awesome.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
um

Budget?
Genres? (what do you play)
New or Used?
Home or Gig? Check
Current Gear?
Closest City?

also, neither of those really, but I'd take the Night Train first.

Budget: Not quite sure, don't wanna go above $500 for a head

Genres: Classic Rock, Blues, Jazz, Funk. I need good cleans but really I'm not gonna need much more than a bluesy overdrive, so nothing High gain is necessary.

Used is definitely the way to go

Gear is just a Fender American Standard Strat

Closest City is NYC, although again I am not in a position to go trying things out at the moment.

What would you recommend if not either of those two? (Although this wasn't the primary concern of the thread)
Blackheart killer and, blackheart little giant.
real nice bluesy cleans, and i really like the normal cleans.
Quote by stykerwolf
Blackheart killer and, blackheart little giant.
real nice bluesy cleans, and i really like the normal cleans.

Thanks I'll have to check those out, I never really looked into Blackheart stuff before.
^You should, great amps they are

Do note that the 5 watt one doesn't have a MV, so you need to crank it up and it gets VERY loud
Well, you could get a weber attenuator, then you can get creamy poweramp saturation and not kill people around you
Wow. Lots of stuff just recently posted. Giddy Up!

http://newyork.craigslist.org/search/msg?query=amp&srchType=A&minAsk=200&maxAsk=600

Jun 29 - Ampeg Reverberocket 212 Tube Combo Amp - $450 (Greenpoint/ Williamsburg/ delivery) pic

Jun 29 - Peavey Classic 50 212 - Great Blues Amp - $450 (Clinton Hill) pic

Jun 29 - Fender Blues Jr. NOS Limited Edition w/ Jensen & Boost - $495 (Bergen County) pic

Jun 29 - Sears Silvertone Amp In Case - $375 (long island/new york)

Jun 29 - Tech 21 Trademark 60 1x12 Guitar Combo Amp - $300 (Williamsburg)

Jun 29 - FS/FT Palomino 30 Watt Tube Guitar Amp 2-12 Celestions Low Usage MINT! - $300 (Long Island) pic

Jun 29 - Vox AC50CP2 Tube Amp - $550 (East Village) pic

Jun 29 - Fender Princeton Reverb - $250 (Harlem / Morningside) pic

Jun 29 - All Tube rectifier guitar head B-52 AT-100 - compare to Marshall, Mesa - $375 (Midtown) pic

Jun 28 - Guitar Amp Half Stack - $375 (North Babylon) img

Jun 28 - Music Man 112 RP 65 Vintage tube guitar amp - $375 (Nyack, NY) pic

Jun 28 - 1966 Gibson Minuteman Amp - $600 (Clinton Hill) pic

Jun 28 - Fender Princeton Chorus Amp - $275 (East Village) pic

Jun 28 - Supro Tube Amp with Reverb - $500 (West Village) pic

Jun 28 - Fender SuperChamp XD w/RaginCajun - $275 (UWS) pic

Jun 28 - Fender "eighty-five" 65w amplifier - red knobs - $200 (Greenpoint, Brooklyn) pic

Jun 28 - Fender Super 60 guitar amp head - $300 (bushwick) pic

Jun 28 - Vintage Fender Twin Reverb - $600 (Williamsburg) pic

Jun 28 - Fender Princeton Reverb - $250 (Harlem / Morningside)

Jun 28 - Vintage Supro Corsica Amplifier - $500 (West Village)

Jun 27 - Marshall 86' master lead combo 30W - $250 (Bohemia) pic

Jun 27 - Fender 67 Black Face VibroChamp - $600 (Bohemia) pic

PS: I did not open any of the links. Too many of them . You'd have to just try some stuff and negotiate.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 29, 2010,
To 311ZOSOVHJH, Yeah the $500 is just for the head although that is the highest I can go.

and Stykerwolf, Yeah that's not a bad idea to go with an attenuator. Although I'm not so much worried about killing people as I am about them killing me.
Christ that's a lot of amps! But as I said before, I don't have the means to go places by myself, and while New York is the closest major city to me, it's about an hour away still. I appreciate your help regardless.

And fly that's one I was considering too. Do you have a specific reason though?

EDIT: I took a deeper look and I think I might end up going for the Tweaker instead, thank you guys a ton for your help and suggestions.
Last edited by Tigerfang at Jun 29, 2010,
Quote by Tigerfang
And fly that's one I was considering too. Do you have a specific reason though?

EDIT: I took a deeper look and I think I might end up going for the Tweaker instead, thank you guys a ton for your help and suggestions.
FX loop for one. If you think the distortion tones of the amp are great, but it has no loop then forget about reverb, delay, and anything else you might want after the preamp.

Also the tone is pretty versatile. I sat down and played one for a 1/2 hour or so in GC one day. I was sold. I didn't even bother with the Night Train even though it was sitting right there. No FX loop is a deal breaker for me unless I intend to use it as a clean amp.
The Tweaker is better on several levels. Like fly135 said the loop on the Tweaker is a huge plus. Additionally, the bright switch, Brit/Am switch, etc all have real decent effects on the amp. The biggest plus for me was that the Tweaker can take virtually any power tube. You want more of a marshally british crunch then pop some EL34s in. You want more of fendery american tone then pop some 6L6s in. I played one on my cab and fell in love with it. I've played the Night Train several times and it is OK but not like the Tweaker. The Tweaker has more character and soul.
Okay thank you both again for your help and patience with me. I'm gonna try and get into a Guitar Center and try one out, but from what I've heard of it, plus what you have pointed out to me (I didn't realize the Night Train lacked an FX loop) the Tweaker seems like a winner, and it's cheaper to boot!
I have a blackheart little giant and it's perfect for what i do. i dont gig (if i were i'd just mic it) and it covers all the tones I need.
Agile AL-3000 HSBF>
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz V1>
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive V1>
Hardwire CM-2>
Delta Lab Chorus>
EHX Holy Grail>
Boss DD-7>
BBE Sonic Stomp>
Digitech JamMan>
Blackheart Little Giant
I own a Blackheart Killer Ant. Great tone. No features. Tweaker beats just about everything out there in its price range outside of the 6505+112 for metal.

Vypyr 60 is another amp I would suggest if buying new but it is more geared toward metal and using lots of effects.

PS: If you can get to GC you can get to some of those other amps on craigslist. Just sayin'. Also see what GC has used. You can view their inventory online.
btw, on the blackheart little giant, I don't even put it on the 5w mode. it gets plenty loud for bedroom use on about 9oclock volume 3w mode.
Agile AL-3000 HSBF>
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz V1>
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive V1>
Hardwire CM-2>
Delta Lab Chorus>
EHX Holy Grail>
Boss DD-7>
BBE Sonic Stomp>
Digitech JamMan>
Blackheart Little Giant
nighttrain will be perfect for your needs. will still sound good at bedroom levels, and will even do small gigs.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Thanks for the suggestions Suttam, I gotta try out a Blackstar, but the Tiny Terror didn't do much for me when I tried it out.

And Rocknroll, I'm now going back and forth between that and the Tweaker. Eventually I'm gonna get out to a Guitar Center do an a/b then make a decision.