Hey I'm a lead guitarist in a band and I don't really have an amp of my own except a 15w peavey blazer for practicing with. When we jam I use the drummer's old Randall 60w Tube amp (I don't know the model) with a Boss Metal Zone distortion pedal (I don't play any metal tho). I have a Epiphone Les Paul Custom. So I need my own amp, and I don't know what to get. A friend told me Line 6 was the best and I should get one. I was interested in the 120w Spider IV for a while, but I was told the amps sound too digital and am wondering how bad that really is. I want to use the amp I get for practice, jamming and gigging. I just want something that sounds good and is loud, and so I can get a Rise Against like sound. I play stuff like Rise Against and Blink-182, some Green Day and Alkaline Trio.
What's your budget? Line 6 Spider isn't too bad for just practicing, but I would get something else.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Used JCM900 can be bought at around your budget.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by JWG2007
I have a spider III half stack and it sounds pretty good, well at least i think so... But i play metal... if you wanna check out how it sounds just go to my youtube channel.. http://www.youtube.com/JWG1994

I've got that guitar!
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
If you want a Line 6 with some power don't go below the Flextone series. I can't think of any options under $500.
ಠ_ಠ
Spider Valve's can be found for $600...
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
Quote by DeadlyDevil1985
Spider Valve's can be found for $600...

Yeah I was looking at those. How good are they?
Quote by korockinout
Yeah I was looking at those. How good are they?

Outstanding. I have played out of other Spiders that my friends have had and I hated them. They sounded digital and muddy when distorted.. The valve is tube driven and still has that whole modeling range that Line 6 offers without any gimmicks or drawbacks. It's not that hard to EQ a tone after playing around with it for a few hours either, it's really versatile.

I jumped from a little 15w Solid State amp to the Valve and couldn't be happier. I brought my guitar teacher, who had been playing for 25 years and was experienced with amps, and he even loved it and was surprised that it had the line 6 brand on it.

When buying it I also demoed other comparable amps like the Peavey 120 and Valveking, brought them into GCs soundproof room to crank the volume up and the spider valve blew them both away.
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
Last edited by DeadlyDevil1985 at Jun 29, 2010,
Quote by korockinout
No I meant the Marshall

Ah, well, you won't need a halfstack, the combo would be more handy. Just check Youtube for some sound impressions.

The Spider Valves are decent, but if you want modelling with tubes, the Tube Vypyr is better IMO.
Yeah so then it has like all the modeling stuff the Spider IV has right? Is 40 watts loud enough? I don't really know how wattage with tubes compares to solid state with the overall volume. And I can't seem to find any for less than $749.99