Page 1 of 2
Two planes landed in England today. One brought back a group of overpaid, underachieving footballers, the other brought back seven coffins, each with the Union Jack draped over them. Footballers play for our country, soldiers fight for our country. Footballers give ninety minutes, soldiers give their lives. I know who I respect more.

Just something to think about

Seeing as there's loads of idiots who feel the need to state the obvious, this is indeed from Facebook. I thought it was quite true and thought it'd make a good discussion. GROW THE HELL UP.
Last edited by leg end at Jun 29, 2010,
I heard England got tuned by Germany :shrugs

of course, that's a joke about football...no soldier from any country should have to die to protect freedom or people. I'm getting kind of numb to all the war BS happening around the world
I'd say that's a no brainer.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Quote by 0RI0N
I'd say that's a no brainer.

Quote by boreamor
Well there's something everyone already knew about.

Exactly. That's the sad thing about it. It's just socially accepted because "it's just the way it is".
I saw "Union Jack" and instantly thought of circle jerking.
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
This had more impact when it was on facebook.
¡sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ suɐılɐɹʇsnɐ ʎluo

E-married to danny the fish

Quote by Kensai
That's a purdy mouth you got there, zelestros. Why don't we make good use of that in other ways...
Quote by leg end
Exactly. That's the sad thing about it. It's just socially accepted because "it's just the way it is".

One group of those did their job, the other ones didn't. The ones who did their job paid the ultimate sacrifice and deserve respect for that, even if I personally don't respect their job. The footballers deserve no respect imo.
Quote by JohnnyV
no soldier from any country should have to die to protect freedom or people.

uhh, what?
Phish Phan
DeadHead
Moe.ron
If there's a jam out there, I'm probably listening to it.

Check out the Bodatious Banana Extravaganza: http://myspace.com/bbeboston
Quote by boreamor
One group of those did their job, the other ones didn't. The ones who did their job paid the ultimate sacrifice and deserve respect for that, even if I personally don't respect their job. The footballers deserve no respect imo.

Oh no, they didn't win the world cup! They deserve the ultimate punishment!
Quote by Hendrix4ever
uhh, what?

He's saying that there shouldn't be war.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Regardless of the legitimacy of the current conflict we're in, these soldiers (and many Australians and Americans too) have given their lives to protect the interests and security of their nation. It's one of the dangers of the job unfortunately. Ultimately they're pawns to be used by their governments, and that's what the armed forces are - a tool to be used by the government.

It's not even worth comparing the two. Soccer players are just that - they are athletes that run around and what not, and then go home to their families. Soldiers spend months away, and the lucky ones get to come back home in one piece. The unlucky ones come back in a metal box. War is hell, but that's just the way the world is.

You can't compare the two groups dude.

To finish up, here's a quote from one of my mates who serves in the Australian Army:
The definition of a soldier is someone who at one point wrote a check made payable to Australia for the sum of 'up to and including my life'.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
What's with all the fellatio of the armed forces that British people seem to be indulging in over the last few months? I'm genuinely baffled...
Quote by leg end
Two planes landed in England today. One brought back a group of overpaid, underachieving footballers, the other brought back seven coffins, each with the Union Jack draped over them. Footballers play for our country, soldiers fight for our country. Footballers give ninety minutes, soldiers give their lives. I know who I respect more.

Footballers are paid to entertain us, which is as important as defending us in a way, though.

But I agree with you. They're clearly overpaid.
---

"L'esclave parfait est celui qui croit être libre."

---
Quote by Astyan
Footballers are paid to entertain us, which is as important as defending us in a way, though.

Well, judging by the performance of the French military over the last hundred or so years, I can see why you would think that.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by sashki
Rooney gets paid £120,000 a week, not including sponsors.
A doctor's average salary in the UK is around £70,000 a year.

One saves lives. The other kicks balls. Sounds fair to me.

one generates millions for the people who pay his wages, the other...

Actually, no, you're right. It's ridiculous that these players get that much money, it should go to the millionaire/billionaire owners instead,
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I'll tell you another one that PISSES ME OFF personally.

Giving a returned Missionary (I live in UT) a hero's welcome. Where is the support for the soldiers? It makes it worse knowing that the Missionaries are probably (not always) getting out of (or just not volunteering for) military duty because of it. Just chaps my hide when I see it at the airport.
"If you can hum it, you can play it!"

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
ESP: LTD M-10
Marshall MD10CD
Quote by Lemoninfluence
one generates millions for the people who pay his wages, the other...

Actually, no, you're right. It's ridiculous that these players get that much money, it should go to the millionaire/billionaire owners instead,

Or maybe earning obscene amount of profit which does not go into reinvestment is also ridiculous, or even more so.
Quote by Craigo
Or maybe earning obscene amount of profit which does not go into reinvestment is also ridiculous, or even more so.

what exactly would it be reinvested in? more players to be paid small amounts? Advertising? Better ? bribes?

**** it, people should abandon football entirely as a pastime/form of entertainment. They should all spend their time bettering themselves intellectually.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by opc100
OMG YOU CAN COPY THINGS FROM FACEBOOK YOU'RE SO COOLl!!!11one

Yeah. I got it off Facebook big deal? I thought it was perfectly true so I put it on here so people can discuss it. Maybe one day I'll be as cool as you and be able to use really lame internet memes that aren't funny in the slightest.
I think footballer players and any other people that play sports should not be paid at all. They're all meat and no brains.
The only money they should get is a "small" reward if they win a worldwide/continent wide contest or whatever game, like let's se 50000 $ for winning world championships or however you call it.

And what I hate most, well I don't know about England, but here in my country there's ALWAYS plenty of tax money to spend (without our consent) on football, whereas for example there is no money to raise the salaries of doctors, people that have REAL jobs and do something REALLY useful.

If they get paid, let 'em be paid by their useless little clubs, stay away from country buisiness!

that's what I say.
Quote by leg end
Yeah. I got it off Facebook big deal, wanna fight about it? I thought it was perfectly true so I put it on here so people can discuss it. Maybe one day I'll be as cool as you and be able to use really lame internet memes that aren't funny in the slightest.

It's the quickest way to get past the caps filter Also fixed.
hello
Quote by leg end
Yeah. I got it off Facebook big deal? I thought it was perfectly true so I put it on here so people can discuss it. Maybe one day I'll be as cool as you and be able to use really lame internet memes that aren't funny in the slightest.

care to come up with an original thought and respond to my post?

Quote by element4433
Quote by Lemoninfluence
what exactly would it be reinvested in? more players to be paid small amounts? Advertising? Better ? bribes?

**** it, people should abandon football entirely as a pastime/form of entertainment. They should all spend their time bettering themselves intellectually.

Well that's just ridiculous. The OP doesn't suggest that. It just states how little recognition the armed forces get compared to footballers. Despite, in most respects the armed forces doing a more important and definitely more dangerous job.
Quote by leg end
Well that's just ridiculous. The OP doesn't suggest that. It just states how little recognition the armed forces get compared to footballers. Despite, in most respects the armed forces doing a more important and definitely more dangerous job.

That's because football is more popular than war.
hello
Quote by leg end

there are tens of thousands of soldiers, all anonymous to the public at large until they're unfortunately killed. They get plenty of respect.

the problem that whoever made this crap OP has, seems to be (in part) that footballers get paid lots of money whereas soldiers don't. That's easily explained (generate millions) and as there's so few and the public like and watch the sport, the biggest players will always get more recognition than an anonymous soldier.

And don't forget, those players aren't exactly going to be given a hero's welcome.

Quote by element4433
Quote by Lemoninfluence
there are tens of thousands of soldiers, all anonymous to the public at large until they're unfortunately killed. They get plenty of respect.

the problem that whoever made this crap OP has, seems to be (in part) that footballers get paid lots of money whereas soldiers don't. That's easily explained (generate millions) and as there's so few and the public like and watch the sport, the biggest players will always get more recognition than an anonymous soldier.

And don't forget, those players aren't exactly going to be given a hero's welcome.

Yeah I completely agree with you. Hence the title of the thread. It's just how things are. Morally, it shouldn't be like that but there's nothing anyone can do about it really.
Quote by leg end
Yeah I completely agree with you. Hence the title of the thread. It's just how things are. Morally, it shouldn't be like that but there's nothing anyone can do about it really.

You forget that the reaction to these soldiers death is nearly universal sympathy and respect whereas the footballers will be vilified and publicly mocked on a level you or I can't even imagine.

It seems to me that whoever made it is an idiot and lives in their own little skewed universe.

Quote by element4433
OMG, it's from Facebook. This guy sure is cool huh fellas?

Edit: ****....beaten to it.
Quote by Stormx
I tremble before your enormous penis.
Quote by molala2
and i farted, it was really stink
Quote by italiarlz135
Led Pepplin, you are god because of this thread.
Quote by josh999x, Brick23

Quote by Led Pepplin
OMG, it's from Facebook. This guy sure is cool huh fellas?

Edit: ****....beaten to it.

Yes. Several times. And it wasn't funny the first time. It's something to discuss. Grow up.
Quote by GODhimself37
I saw "Union Jack" and instantly thought of circle jerking.

me too
Quote by MagicsDevil

29 internets to you, good sir.

Quote by undecided1993
Well I apologise for not taking pictures of my naked mother.

Pokémon SoulSilver Friend code:0775-6767-8676
Well I'm a Pacifist and thought that the fighting in the Middle East is unjustified.

However due to many political and social factors our boys have to stay there and I'm sure they are determined to see the job through to the end, no matter what the cost.
Gear:

Ibanez SR700
Ibanez GSR200
Yamaha RGX 121Z

Peavey Tour series 450 Head + Peavey 410 TVX Cab
VOX ADVT15

Line 6: Guitarport
Quote by leg end
Yes. Several times. And it wasn't funny the first time. It's something to discuss. Grow up.
Well, it isn't really anything to discuss. It's true, life is unfair sometimes, but what more can really be said than that?
Quote by Stormx
I tremble before your enormous penis.
Quote by molala2
and i farted, it was really stink
Quote by italiarlz135
Led Pepplin, you are god because of this thread.
Quote by josh999x, Brick23

Quote by leg end

soldiers =/= footballers

Why not compare footballers to taxi drivers? Or the soldiers to food vendors?

Quote by leg end

Seeing as there's loads of idiots who feel the need to state the obvious, this is indeed from Facebook. I thought it was quite true and thought it'd make a good discussion. GROW THE HELL UP.

what?
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Page 1 of 2