So I had been saving up for a Dipinto Mach IV for a while. But on a sudden impulse to get on craigslist, I saw an ad for a pedal I've been craving for the past year (I don't know why I never got it, though) and I just had to contact the guy. So finally, 2 weeks after contacting him, we met today, and he handed me the pedal of my dreams...

*pause for dramatic effect*

An Electroharmonix Big Muff fucking Pi! (sorry for pic size, I forgot to change the resolution on my phone camera.)

And here's the "little" guy with the family:

Agile AL-2000, Blackheart Little Giant, Visual Sound Angry Fuzz, Big Muff, Ibanez Tubescreamer, Dunlop Crybaby, and Danelectro PB&J Delay... I'll probably be getting rid of the Angry Fuzz, as I will most likely never use it ever again

And the review (I'm not too good with these, so try to understand what I'm trying to say ) :
I found that the Big Muff has a pretty wide array of tones. Just by adjusting the tone knob, you can get a warm, singing tone with lots of low-end and a little bit of high-end, or you can get a crunchy, thin, grungey tone with lots of high-end and not much low end. And the sustain knob works wonders. If you got it turned all the way down, you still get a pretty nice overdrive tone, with not much fuzz. Anywhere from all the way down to about 10 o'clock, it gives a nice classic rock overdrive, layering on a little more fuzz the higher you go. At about 10-11 o'clock is when the fuzz starts overtaking the overdrive. Now once you get past 12 o'clock, the fun begins. 12 o'clock gives a nice thick, saggy, fuzz tone. As you turn the knob closer and closer to 3 o'clock, the fuzz just keeps getting thicker and thicker and fuzzier and fuzzier. Not much changes however, between 3 o'clock and all the way. There's something that changes, maybe a tad more fuzz when it's all the way up, but it may be something else. I've found that my favorite settings are: Volume - All the way up. Tone - Just past 1 o'clock Sustain - 2 o'clock to 3 o'clock.

I'll upload some clips Thursday, once I can get the house to myself, so I'll bump the thread when I do so
Last edited by ItsOnlyGNR at Jun 30, 2010,
Quote by stykerwolf
I want clips NAO.
i really want to hear a Blackheart with a muff

You'll get 'em Thursday

I can't do them right now because I'm eating soon and then I'm having a girl over
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
You'll get 'em Thursday

I can't do them right now because I'm eating soon and then I'm having a girl over

So your gonna be messing with 2 Muff's today haha HNPD!
Panties 'round your knees
With your ass in debris
Doin' dat grind with a push and squeeze
Tied up, tied down, up against the wall
Be my rubbermade baby
An' we can do it all

My way - your way
Anything goes tonight
lulz on the sexual innuendos.

And yeah, stykerwolf, that was a big day for me, upgrading from a Spider

I can't wait until I can crank the Little Giant with the Big Muff with it.
Happy new pedal day! Looks awesome. I love me some Big Muff Pi, myself. I'm pretty sure that my next new pedal day is going to consist of one. Enjoy.
The amp is great though, what do you have your controls set to?
mine at from left to right; 5-8-5-10
Quote by stykerwolf
The amp is great though, what do you have your controls set to?
mine at from left to right; 5-8-5-10

On the 5 watt setting I have: Bass - 6, Mids - 8, Treble - 6.5, and depending who is home I have the volume anywhere from 2 to 10, although I figured out that I like my Big Muff with the Volume on the pedal all the way up so it still gets a little loud when the amp is just at 2.

EDIT: @Stykerwolf, I just looked at your picture with your homemade OD, A/B box, and fuzz... This is what I want to do with my Tubescreamer and my Big Muff. When I'm at home and I can't get high enough volumes for my amp to distort, I have to use my tubescreamer, and it's just too much of a hassle to click both pedals at the same time to switch one off and the other on... May as well keep both on all the time and just switch between the A and the B
You know, all three of those pedals are out of commission; gave the AB box to a friend, the Face Fuzz was ripped out and now has a new circuit in it but it's not a fuzz, the od pedal just stopped working and i haven't found the time to fix it.

Currently i have a weber attenuator so i never really bother people, i also use my tanabe dumkudo for some overdrive, but really the amp at 10 is just epic.

going to order a SUF Violet Ram's Head muff, can't wait to try it out with my amp.
Quote by stykerwolf

Currently i have a weber attenuator so i never really bother people, i also use my tanabe dumkudo for some overdrive, but really the amp at 10 is just epic.

going to order a SUF Violet Ram's Head muff, can't wait to try it out with my amp.

Yeah, I wish I had a practice space though, separate from the rest of the house, when I turn it up to 10 it shakes my whole room

Is that an Electroharmonix Ram's Head copy? Or is that what the Electroharmonix Ram's Head is actually called?

Also, I got a pretty simple pedalboard built:

Just 2 square pieces of wood I found in the shed and I super glued them together, and then I used double-sided mounting tape to stick the pedals on there (the only 3 pedals I ever use ). I like the mounting tape better than velcro actually. the only problem is that I have 3-foot patch cables, and they are so bulky and awkward. I'm trying to figure out a way to hold them down so they don't dangle over the edge of the board or move around or anything, but anything I've thought of looks messy, and I want it to look neat as possible.
we basically have the same guitar/amp combo...happy npd!
Agile AL-3000 HSBF>
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz V1>
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive V1>
Hardwire CM-2>
Delta Lab Chorus>
EHX Holy Grail>
Boss DD-7>
BBE Sonic Stomp>
Digitech JamMan>
Blackheart Little Giant
Quote by rking19
we basically have the same guitar/amp combo...happy npd!

Nice

I'm going to be getting a new main guitar soon though... A DiPinto Mach IV. I love my AL-2000, but the Mach IV has a single-coil in the neck and a humbucker in the bridge, which is pretty much perfect for the tone I'm looking for. Plus it's one sexy guitar

Awesome, HNPD!

Once I've bought all the stuff I'm already gonna buy, I'll probably look to get the M Audio Crunchbox or Fulltone OCD.

And 'stuff' includes a new head, new guitar, a new mic/stand and a PA

Hopefully I'll have everything I aim to get by the end of the summer
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
Nice

I'm going to be getting a new main guitar soon though... A DiPinto Mach IV. I love my AL-2000, but the Mach IV has a single-coil in the neck and a humbucker in the bridge, which is pretty much perfect for the tone I'm looking for. Plus it's one sexy guitar

*awesome guitar pic*

That's one awesome looking guitar, I love weird shaped guitars (no that doesn't include BC Rich )
And HNPD
Quote by CL/\SH
Awesome, HNPD!

Once I've bought all the stuff I'm already gonna buy, I'll probably look to get the M Audio Crunchbox or Fulltone OCD.

And 'stuff' includes a new head, new guitar, a new mic/stand and a PA

Hopefully I'll have everything I aim to get by the end of the summer

I was going to get the M Audio Crunchbox at one point but then I realized my Tubescreamer can get a decent AC/DC and GN'R tone on the HOT setting, so I decided against it. I should get some mics soon too, for recording, as the one I used to use doesn't work anymore. Recently, I've been using my computer mic... On garageband I'll turn the noise gate on really high and then put my cabinet really close to the mic... It sounds okay, but it could be a lot better with a decent recording mic.

Quote by stykerwolf
Going to order from here: http://www.stompunderfoot.com

the Face Fuzz was a fuzz face clone, now it's housing a modded electra distortion pedal but it's more of a bass booster and low gain muff lol

It must be a clone of the Electroharmonix Ram's Head then. It should be pretty good, some people say the Ram's Head is better than the Big Muff, but I've never been able to tell much of a difference between the 2.

Now i'm wondering... what did you do with the guts of the Face Fuzz?

Once again, clips will be up Thursday or Friday

Quote by Sguit
That's one awesome looking guitar, I love weird shaped guitars (no that doesn't include BC Rich )
And HNPD

Yeah, that's another reason why I'm getting it, it's a pretty original shape. And I believe Jack White has played a Mach IV live once or twice before so that's pretty cool
Italia guitars are pretty funky too.

I think Jack Whites red guitar was an Airline, not sure though.

Congrats on the Muff, I'm set out to get one soon.
Quote by Tedward
Italia guitars are pretty funky too.

I think Jack Whites red guitar was an Airline, not sure though.

Congrats on the Muff, I'm set out to get one soon.

Yeah, his main guitar is an Airline, but he's played a Mach IV live before.

Here's a picture from DiPinto's website:

As you can see, that's not his Airline, an Airline doesn't have the "horn" or whatever you call it at the top of the body, at least it's not the same shape as the one in this picture. And you can also see the star inlays and the slanted single-coil in the neck position. All of which are characteristics of a Mach IV.
Ya sorry I wasn't trying to correct you or anything I was just saying a vintage Airline would be cool to have..
It's laying around in a box next to me, and yeah stompunderfoot muff = awesome, it's like a really awesome boutique fuzz, without costing +300 bucks. arguably one of the best big muff cloners in the bizz
Quote by Tedward
Ya sorry I wasn't trying to correct you or anything I was just saying a vintage Airline would be cool to have..

Oh yeah, I see what you mean now.
bump for anyone who wants to hear some clips. I got one on my profile. I didn't record through my Blackheart though, I ran the Big Muff and my Tubescreamer through a POD instead of my amp, and then chose a British-esque setting on the POD to try to get kind of close to my Blackheart.
Quote by stykerwolf
Sounds nice, but i really want to hear it with the BH

I'll have to get a decent recording mic first... I tested it with my computer mic with a noise gate almost all the way up, but since my computer is like in this cabinet thing it made my tone way too bassy, even when I turned the bass down on the amp. And it didn't really pick up some of the really subtle things about the Big Muff that I like, like how it sounds like it "tears" into notes or chords. It just made it sound like another distortion pedal.
HNPD! My favorite way to use my Muff is in front of the amp with decent distortion running on it already. Muff on top of distortion is greattt.

Maybe you ought to get a delay next?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
HNPD! My favorite way to use my Muff is in front of the amp with decent distortion running on it already. Muff on top of distortion is greattt.

Maybe you ought to get a delay next?

I already have a delay I usually just use it for a slapback sound, I'm not really a big fan of all the fancy stuff done by The Edge and others like him And I've tried it with my Tubescreamer on the HOT setting and the Drive at about 8, and it's not my cup of tea. It sure gets a decent metal sound, but that's not what I'm going for.
No, I mean with the amp's drive up a fair bit, and the Muff's sustain down low... volume high, though. It gets this great, raunchy, White Stripes-type sound.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??