I've been reading several posts here and (on other sites) there about Gibson using weird 300K pots in their Gibson USA Guitars and wondered where that supposed fact has come from. I did some research and Norlin apparently did this (among other changes to the LP - 3 piece maple Neck, pancake body!).
So I took my Trad's cover off and used my Digital Multi Meter and as I suspected the pots are 500Kohms not 300K as written about by many.
If you have the tools, you can check yourself but you need to use the Tone pot to measure (all are same value anyway) as it has the capacitor on it which prevents a DC resistance reading thru the parallel paths of the other Volume pot and humbucking PU.
While I can't measure a Standard, I've no reason to believe Gibson would do any differently on it as well.
Moving on.....
Wow, I bet if I knew anything about electronics, my mind would be blown.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

umm not correct. the problem with gibson was that the pots they used were completely random.
mine had 300k tone pot and 500k volume pot.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Then it's either random which I don't believe for a minute, or the values chosen depend on the Pickups themselves (very likely) or the model (somewhat likely too), or they use a different value for Vol and then Tone. TIt would be weird to have a lower value Vol pot than the tone pot though. The tone pot would have very little effect initially when turned until it got closer in value to the vol pot.
I'll unsolder mine this weekend and measure the Vol pot out of circuit (since I already know the tone is 500 K) and post back.

EDIT: Well it drove me nuts so I just unsoldered my Treble PU and checked the pot.

300Kohm so that's 300K for Vol & 500K for Tone, so much for common sense.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jun 29, 2010,
Quote by al112987
mine measured 315k ohms (I just detached all the connections)

Detached??! Do you have a circuit board? What model of LP are you talking about?
Moving on.....
Quote by AcousticMirror
myth debunk debunked.

Well, 50% debunked anyway! I still have 2 - 500K pots in my Gibson.
Moving on.....
I have no idea what pots are in my Traditional, nor do I care....cuz it sounds badassssszzz. I'ma playin and I'ma likin
My Gibson R9 had 500k pots for the volume controls and 300k pots for the tone controls (give or take a little of course, from what I recall the two volumes were both just shy of 500k and the two tones were just a touch over 300k each). Seems to be pretty common.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Why were people complaining about the pots in the first place? It seems like the decision to use the pots they use weren't just random or carelessness. Gibson is one of the main sources for 300K pots. The choice to use 300K pots with 500K pots was probably after extensive testing. Now if they used 250K pots, then that would be something to inquire about.
Quote by KenG
Detached??! Do you have a circuit board? What model of LP are you talking about?
2001 les paul studio, the pots in my guitar are 500k RS pots, the one that I measured came out of the guitar ages ago. forgot whether it was tone or volume. pretty sure it was volume though.

But yep, 315k.
Last edited by al112987 at Jun 29, 2010,
yeah my old LP Studio had 500k volume pots and 300k tone pots, i believe it was a '95
but my SG has all 500k pots
Quote by JELIFISH19
Why were people complaining about the pots in the first place? It seems like the decision to use the pots they use weren't just random or carelessness. Gibson is one of the main sources for 300K pots. The choice to use 300K pots with 500K pots was probably after extensive testing. Now if they used 250K pots, then that would be something to inquire about.
The tonal difference between 300k and 250k pots is nigh-on nothing, especially when you take into account how rare it is to get potentiometers that are actually the precise values they are listed as being.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.