Ive been practicing alot and have noticed that i dont always alternate pick when i should, which means usually i end up just down really choppy down strokes on fast stuff and I know alternate picking would be way easier once I got it down so could anyone tell me the best exercise to help this. A good example of what im having trouble with is A Dance with Aera Cura by Miss May I :33 to :50
Try this:

Start with a C major scale played on one string in groups of 3.

On the low E string, this would look like...
--0-1-3-1-3-5-3-5-7-5-7-8-7-8-10-8-10-12-10-12-13-12-13-15 and back down in 3's.

Do this to a metronome at about 15 BPM and pay attention to your right hand once your left hand knows what it's doing. Make sure your right hand is not wasting motion. If you do this for awhile and then gradually start to speed it up, you will find your tremolo picking speed improves drastically.

As for where to go from there, I would move on to playing the same C major scale on 2 strings in what the Guitar Grimoire series refers to as "coils" and Petrucci refers to as "scale fragments".

After that, try scale positions again and see how much faster you are.
so basically you need help to play a super extra hardxcore generic metalcore riff (complete with drop c tuning)? just practice it... thats the only way youll get better. not posting threads when you should be practicing the thing you wanna get better at.
Quote by esredshore657
A good example of what im having trouble with is A Dance with Aera Cura by Miss May I :33 to :50

Then turn that into an exercise and practise the shit out of it!
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.