the more i read the more i am confused.

broken down into plain english, if you put a small cap in, what does it do? brighter or bassier?

on a tone pot, what effect does changing the pot have? big cap? what does it do? brighter or bassier?

i have read explanations, but im getting turned around to the point where i am second guessing myself.
Last edited by ikey_ at Jun 29, 2010,
How about don't be a douche bag.

You can't say what a cap will do without saying where it will go. Give us a circuit diagram or some description of where the cap is, and then maybe you will get your answer. And ask nicely.

Finally, regarding the scientific crap you're talking about - it's not actually that complicated. In fact, really it's rather simple. I would know, having spent years at uni doing electrical engineering. Anyway, more info and then you get help.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
capacitors block DC, so they let higher frequencies through. the size of the cap as well as where it is placed determine what it does. the exact same 2 parts placed in different ways can have extremely different effects. so what the hell kind of circuit are we talking about here?
sorry. tone pot. if i replace the cap on my tone pot with a big one or a small one. didnt cleanr that up.

or a small one. basically, what does a a small/large cap do to a tone pot?

billm - big cap = less high? because it allows more lows?

but isnt this only when its being turned towards 0? what about on ten?

how do you limit when its on 10? a 250k pot instead of a 500 one? the pot gets bassy. i want to take off the highs on level 10
Last edited by ikey_ at Jun 29, 2010,
Since the tone pot is basically controlling your amount of treble.. together they make a variable low pass filter... which basically means it controls the frequencies going through.

So check it out, a low pass filter is going to allow the lows through, but it filters out anything above a certain frequency, and the capacitor determines this frequency...

So what does this mean for you?

A LARGER capacitance results in a LOWER cut off frequency.
A SMALLER capacitance results in a HIGHER cut off frequency.

If that doesn't make sense:
Larger Cap = less treble when you have your tone pot turned all the way to 10.

Smaller Cap = more treble when you have your tone pot turned all the way to 10.
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
Tone pots have less effect on 10 than volume pots. If changing to a lower value tone pot doesn't do it for you I'd go for a lower value volume pot. You could also try lowering the treble side of your pickup a bit to quiet the high strings in general.
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
Quote by LeviMan_2001
Oh I got a good idea. Turn down the treble on the amp

Oh hush you. That's not GB&C talk! WE MUST MOD!
My Tele Project!

Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
this is spot on:
A LARGER capacitance results in a LOWER cut off frequency.
A SMALLER capacitance results in a HIGHER cut off frequency.

but this is wrong:
Larger Cap = less treble when you have your tone pot turned all the way to 10.

Smaller Cap = more treble when you have your tone pot turned all the way to 10.

and the second quote isn't explaining much either...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by billm90
and your shouting douche?

agree'd. for some one who is admitting they dont know what or how capacitors wok, i thought the question was worded fairly well.
Quote by rgoring
agree'd. for some one who is admitting they dont know what or how capacitors wok, i thought the question was worded fairly well.

thats cause the original post was edited.
this is spot on:
but this is wrong:[/quote[
not sure how thats wrong, since both quotes are saying the same thing IMO. if you have a large cap and the cutoff frequency is low enough, that means you will be cutting treble when the pot is at 10. a really small cap will allow all audible high frequencies through, so you have more treble at 10.
The two quotes are saying the same thing. The lower the cut off frequency means the more highs are cut out of the signal, ergo when the tone pot is fully engaged, the signal will have less treble. Likewise, when you have a higher cut off frequency, more highs are kept.

Sorry if that didn't make sense.
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
i did edit the post.

thanks big cap. but i ALREADY have a big cap. so what would do more? a 250 k pot? i have 500s in.

or suppose i put an even bigger cap in.

oh yeah and tehy get MUDDY at 0. like, my guitar turns into a bass guitar. i go from bass guitar to omg turn it off treble from 0-10.
Then put a smaller cap in. You don't adjust your baseline treble by changing the capacitor size. You only adjust the corner frequency. Changing pot value will also adjust the corner frequency, but at the same time it will allow slightly more to bleed to ground at ten. Changing the volume pot to 250K would probably have a greater effect, though. Or you could just turn the treble down on your amp or run your tone knob at nine if it really bugs you that much. Hell, even using a softer pick material will have more effect at ten on the tone knob than changing the capacitor value. But yes, if it's muddy as hell at 0 then you probably want a SMALLER capacitor value or you can just not turn it down to 0.
My Tele Project!

Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah