What are some ways I could convey excitement and anticipation in a song?
Fast tempos and upbeat. Different chord tensions can create anticipation like the viio pulling to the I or how a V7 pulls to I as well. I don't know a huge amount about different chord relations though so I'll leave that to others if they touch on it.

Diminished and chromatic things can help to create a tense feeling
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
Last edited by FacetOfChaos at Jun 29, 2010,
Fast tempo=excitement, right? Okay, I was thinking more of excited anticipation. Like waiting for a drug to kick in or something like that. Does that make a difference? Also, I'm not extremely educated in theory, what do you mean by "pulling" to the I?
Playing ahead of the beat. Or using voice leading to turn a held dissonant tone into a stronger tone. Just suggestions...

Mostly though, use chords and melody to build tension. Listen to the music in your head. Everyone would do it differently.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Quote by hockeyplayer168
Playing ahead of the beat. Or using voice leading to turn a held dissonant tone into a stronger tone. Just suggestions...

Could you explain these a little?
Quote by editthesadparts
Fast tempo=excitement, right? Okay, I was thinking more of excited anticipation. Like waiting for a drug to kick in or something like that. Does that make a difference?

Perhaps also build up in the music by using dynamics. Slowly increase the volume or intensity of the piece or add instruments as it progresses could help.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
Quote by editthesadparts
Could you explain these a little?

Hmm...not really. Could be something as simple as a perfect cadence. If you want to learn more about voice leading, I'd ask google, not me.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Don't worry too much about what's behind the anticipation/excitement until you even know basic harmony. There are simple things like speeding up the tempo, changing the time sig, syncopation... but from what you're telling us you don't even understand basic voice-leading principles. Start there. Voice-leading is all about building tension and releasing in a controlled manner.

http://musictheory.net is a good place to start with theory.