Okay, I had a bit of a thought earlier on today and its sorta bugged me alittle so I thought what does everyone else think. Didnt know to post this here or the pit forums, so i took a guess and posted here.

Ive now been playing over a year now and over this year when I think back to early days, my playing has came quite a long way. The more I have practised, the faster I have become. I remembered I struggled to play 2 notes per beat at 60 but now I can play 2 notes per beat at 104 (and maybe even higher, I hadnt really pushed that far). Chord strumming is alittle slower, like 2 notes per 70ish bpm. and chord changing is like 50-70 depending on the chord shape and change.

I think what ive done is okay but I think in some places there is room for improvement. But my main point is what is your thoughts on the speed that the average guitarist should be able to achieve? like single string picking/chord strumming/chord changes etc in bpm?

I know speed isnt everything. I mean just cause you can play at the inhuman speed of Herman Li/Sam Totem doesnt mean you should play like it all the time but im just curious

Edit: On second though maybe you could even post how long you have played guitar for and your speeds like I have
Quote by GezzyDiversion
Sadokun: Eating cardboard never tasted this good!

Quote by Otis Lee Crenshaw
Billy Ray Cyrus? Billy Ray Cyrus is about as f****** country as a bag of f****** wet mice, alright?
Last edited by Sadokun at Jun 29, 2010,
I don't know the bpm of my playing, but in a year and a half of true practice and dedication, I can go Herman Li-ish speed. The technique still needs a bit of refining (I can hit 48 out of 50 notes cleanly, I would guess), but for raw speed, probably about TTF&F intro stuff. No sweep picking yet, but I am learning it.
I can play as fast as the Dragonforce guys once I speed it up on the computer

Seriously though, just keep practicing scales and all that good stuff. You've progressed a year successfully but you need another 4 or 5 to get to the speeds you seek.

EDIT: Watch this and you will see there's a difference between playing fast and playing fast well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwWOKxRsNRE
Last edited by pwrmax at Jun 29, 2010,
HERRO I AM HERMAN RI AND ROOK AT MY FAST RICKS

okay seriously? don't ever use herman li as an example of an inhuman guitarist ever again. agh. Anyway, speed is just a byproduct. There's no average speed of an average guitarist, and finding out the speed of all those things you listed is a complete waste of time.

And to your edit, I've been playing for almost 2 years and some examples of the speed I can play at is Technical Difficulties (full song & solo) at full speed and Cliffs of Dover (intro included) at full speed as well. Only reason I can play that fast is because I work my ass off playing guitar for hours at a time every day.
I've been playing 5 years and I have no idea how fast I can play and I don't care because it sounds shit when I do. If you play guitar to play faster than everyone else, you are playing for the wrong reason.
Quote by pwrmax
I can play as fast as the Dragonforce guys once I speed it up on the computer

Lol, Yeah I knew these jokes would come once I wrote their names lol.

Quote by pwrmax
Seriously though, just keep practicing scales and all that good stuff. You've progressed a year successfully but you need another 4 or 5 to get to the speeds you seek.

Wow that is a long time O.o.

Though im not heavily interested in meeting the speed of DF if thats what you think. Just a nice speed of that of a pro guitarist I guess, Like being able to keep up easily with a song on youtube/itunes or something.
Quote by GezzyDiversion

Billy Ray Cyrus? Billy Ray Cyrus is about as f****** country as a bag of f****** wet mice, alright?
200 bpm 64th notes, if you can do that then the skies the limit, I've been playing for 3 years, I could really do that at about 2 years though, basically tremolo picking is an important skill if you want to play any kind of metal, or even jazz and some blues
A good speed to play, is on one where you play cleanly and evenly, hopefully even one where you can really look at vibrato, pick attack, etc.

btw, lol @ sam totem
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Playing faster (totally clean) than you can jerk off is respectable. Kind of a half joke, but i didn't know what else to compare it to!

But stopping unwanted noise, vibrato, bending, pick attack etc is much more important than speed. Nobody likes the kid who plays fast and bends a note that makes babies cry.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Quote by BgOslicK
HERRO I AM HERMAN RI AND ROOK AT MY FAST RICKS

okay seriously? don't ever use herman li as an example of an inhuman guitarist ever again. agh. Anyway, speed is just a byproduct. There's no average speed of an average guitarist, and finding out the speed of all those things you listed is a complete waste of time.

And to your edit, I've been playing for almost 2 years and some examples of the speed I can play at is Technical Difficulties (full song & solo) at full speed and Cliffs of Dover (intro included) at full speed as well. Only reason I can play that fast is because I work my ass off playing guitar for hours at a time every day.

okay, Firstly I was using Herman Li as an example of speed. I wasnt saying he was like the best guitarist of all time or anything. Calm down. Yeah speed is a by product, like I said just because a person could play really quick doesnt mean you should always be like that.

Secondly, I havent wasted time finding those speed. I play/practice nearly EVERYTHING to a metronome, unless its something really new or I have to break the exercise down. And when its 95-99% perfect, I up the speed, always pushing it.

Thirdly, hmmm that is very good speed, kinda made me think abit more. cheers
Quote by GezzyDiversion

Disregard everything I said, practice Flight of the Bumblebee everyday and speed it up each day with a metronome (if you can) and you'll see some improvements.
Clean > Speed

Although, that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to be faster. Just be patient, and when you practice, don't do other things. Turn off your TV, PC and cellphone, find a good spot to sit, and spend the next x minutes on practicing .
All depends of the music you want to play. If you're not satisfied with your current technique, then obviously you should work on the part that you want to improve.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Well I must say I definitely feel a lot more comfortable about my skill after having read your post

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Quote by Bad Kharmel
200 bpm 64th notes, if you can do that then the skies the limit, I've been playing for 3 years, I could really do that at about 2 years though, basically tremolo picking is an important skill if you want to play any kind of metal, or even jazz and some blues

64th notes at 200 beats per minute is over 53 notes per second and would make you the fastest guitarist in known history.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.