Sometimes in an ad for a musician to play or for auditions or stuff etc, it will say "professional gear required." What exactly does this mean anyway?
Tick tock and waiting for the meteor
This clock is opening another door
gigging equpiment?
or you must have spent like £5409605986409803 on it
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
It's subjective, but usually means all tube amps, American made guitars, analog pedals. In other words the DONT want a kid with a Mexican Strat, B52 amp and Digitech pedals.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Quote by handlerb
It's subjective, but usually means all tube amps, American made guitars, analog pedals. In other words the DONT want a kid with a Mexican Strat, B52 amp and Digitech pedals.

You exagerating a bit, I think what they in the ad is just like no starter pack guitar and amp. A mexican strat would be fine woth something like an hot rod deluxe or Vox AC15 would be fine.
Your profile states that you have a Gibson les paul, so you are fine for the guitar I think, now what's your amp?
To me, the amp is what makes the difference between a good rig and a bad rig, way more than pedals or guitar.
Some groups might want you to have an expensive, nice-looking rig, but mostly it just means that they don't want to have to worry about your rig, i.e. tuning issues, volume problems, noise/feedback, etc.

The 'American guitars and analog pedals' comment is too far, IMO. I don't think anyone's ever been turned down for an audition for having an MIJ Fender or a digital reverb pedal. That's kind of silly.
Quote by AcousticMirror
slo and a 59

You're taking it WAAAAAAY too far, buddy -_- They'd probably accept a '60 Custom and a Splawn.
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
Quote by Phantom123
You're taking it WAAAAAAY too far, buddy -_- They'd probably accept a '60 Custom and a Splawn.

are you trying out for collective soul?
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
best way to find out what they mean is to give them a call and ask them.

some bands might actually mean you need $2k+ worth of gear to play with them, and if you arent playing top notch stuff dont show up. other bands mean dont show up with a squier and and a frontman.

most of those bands are expecting you to have gear that sounds good and wont break down. i doubt anyone would have a huge issue if i showed up with one of my chinese made amps and one of my chinese made guitars. both are solid pieces of gear that i think would be fine for an audition.

if you have decent gear and the band turns you away because you dont have a splawn or matchless or something, well then i know thats not a band i would want to join anyway.
Obviously it varies from band to band. They might need amps >30 watts (not saying that you can't gig with a 15 watter ), and usually with a good tone. I would say a good minimum would be over $1000 for guitar and amp, but that's a huge generalization.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Quote by AcousticMirror
are you trying out for collective soul?

Yes. Yes I am
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
i always see professional gear as just being reliable and easy on the ears, genre will determine what type of gear they would prefere you to have more than anything...i am influenced by early rock, classic rock, and shoegaze type stuff so my Bassman works! now bringing a bassman to a symphonic metal band audition? that could be pushin it lol
Gig-worthy. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm sure they won't mind if you show up with a decent 112 and blow their brains off with skillz
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
now bringing a bassman to a symphonic metal band audition? that could be pushin it lol

Never say never!

Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Reliability/Gigworthy. Honestly, if you've got the skills and can make it sound good, just bringing anything that won't break down is acceptable. You'll find some snooty types that might immediately judge you for whatever gear you have, but melt their faces off with your playing and they won't care if its a Spider
Quote by Phantom123
A custom? Sorry, but '60s bursts ONLY. Quit being poor. Go clean my loafers you peasant.
An extremely high end PRS and a Diezel are the only pieces of gear allowed when answering those listings.
Quote by handlerb

There's way too much of this going round these parts at the moment.

EDIT: Pro-gear I would imagine is gig worthy and reliable. If you've got that you should be fine really.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

oh my god you guys.
freakin' HI-Larious responses -

keep in mind people laughed @ Eddie Van Halen's crappy patched together guitar / amp/s & pedal board - and of course when he plugged in and played - It was all over.

a Pro Rig generally means an amp that can handle either large volume or be easily mic'd thru a pa system, which most are - tonal flexibility is also important. -

the kind of guitar is completely trivial as long as you can play it and it sounds decent. ( i.e. no horrendous pick up buzz - stays in tune etc...)
Last edited by StevieRayHalen at Jun 29, 2010,
Quote by Sguit
You exagerating a bit, I think what they in the ad is just like no starter pack guitar and amp. A mexican strat would be fine woth something like an hot rod deluxe or Vox AC15 would be fine.
Your profile states that you have a Gibson les paul, so you are fine for the guitar I think, now what's your amp?
To me, the amp is what makes the difference between a good rig and a bad rig, way more than pedals or guitar.

My main amp is a 50 watt crate tube amp. I also have a boss distortion crybaby wah and a Jam-man loop station
Tick tock and waiting for the meteor
This clock is opening another door
What it really means is "only serious, experienced musicians need apply". If somebody turns up with "real" equipment you can generally assume they are serious about their art, if they turn up with a Spyder and a Walmart student's guitar then they probably aren't. Middle ground equipment (as long as it's capable of keeping up) will usually get you an audition but you will be listened to with a more critical ear.
But really it just means they want somebody that knows their way around a stage.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I see it on ads everywhere for my local area.
I actually think half of them just put it because they've seen it else where, I'm starting to believe a 5 watt valve combo and a guitar that looks expensive might get you through.

But generally gig-worthy and good sounding, if they turn you down and you tick those boxes then they probably don't know their stuff and aren't worth it.
end of the day...if you show up and are awesome at playing it's all good.
if you suck, it doesn't matter what you've got.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by handlerb
In other words the DONT want a kid with a Mexican Strat, B52 amp and Digitech pedals.

Oh right....

There is n-o-t-h-i-n-g wrong with Fender Standards.

Pro gear just means suitable gear suitable to gig with and durable enough on the road.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
This thread is hilarious.

Great break time material.

But like the others have said, generally no starter pack guitar and amps. If you're hammering together a guitar from parts, make sure you know what you're doing and that it stays in tune, no awful noise etc.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by handlerb

So what if I come with my MIJ Strat, a Eventide Timefactor and an AxeFx? Ain't that professional?
Quote by WtrPlyr
So what if I come with my MIJ Strat, a Eventide Timefactor and an AxeFx? Ain't that professional?

Maybe so but I know I'd be thinking, "Just what we need, a guitarist bitching about the foldback."
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Most bands when they say pro gear required usually want people serious with their instrument and have gig worthy gear.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
i guess it depends on whether the guy who wrote the ad is on tgp or not.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?