today in philosophy, while discussing Nietzsche, we talked about history, and whether it's actually useful or not. what do you guys think? personally, i love history, but i can see why some people would find it useless up to a certain level, like math or science.

pit, do you think history is useful?
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
Without history, humanity is doomed to repeat its mistakes.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
History puts the present in context. So yes, hugely useful.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
Quote by doomded
Without history, humanity is doomed to repeat its mistakes.

Doomded is right about the doomed part.
Quote by carlos_almighty
today in philosophy, while discussing Nietzsche, we talked about history, and whether it's actually useful or not. what do you guys think? personally, i love history, but i can see why some people would find it useless up to a certain level, like math or science.

pit, do you think history is useful?

Wat? Math and science are way more important than history, they make technology. And some parts of history can be useless; why does it matter who ran against Millard Fillmore?
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Last edited by rgrockr at Jun 29, 2010,
Chomsky said (I think it was Chomsky) something like "People don't like to learn history; it teaches you too much". Or something like that. So yeah, history is definitely useful.

Also, being as your a philosophy student, fancy recommending me some good philosophy books to read?
Quote by rgrockr
Wat? Math and science are way more important than history, they make technology. And some parts of history can be useless.

Every scientific endeavour of the last century backwards comes equally under history as it does science.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

Quote by leeb rocks
Every scientific endeavour of the last century backwards comes equally under history as it does science.

History tells us when science was used/researched/discovered, science itself tells us how the world works. The latter is more important for human advancement.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
it's only useful for people who actually want a job in politics or whatever else involves planning stuff on behalf of humanity. for those who don't want that, it's utterly useless.

and this
Quote by deaththrashcore
Almost all of history as we know it is full of lies, errors, and biased editions.

i don't like studying what i can't possibly ever see to be true.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Jun 29, 2010,
Yes as long as you don't take into account that the books are written from a political stand point.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Quote by rgrockr
Wat? Math and science are way more important than history, they make technology. And some parts of history can be useless; why does it matter who ran against Millard Fillmore?

i meant up to a certain point, depending on your chosen profession. i doubt i'll ever use calculus very often, if at all, in my life, so would it be the same for history?

and another thing brought up is, if you look at history, we kind of repeat the same mistakes anyways, so what good is looking back?
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
Imagine a civilization that doesn't know where it came from. We already are ****ed up enough, that would make it much worse.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by rgrockr
History tells us when science was used/researched/discovered, science itself tells us how the world works. The latter is more important for human advancement.

It'd all be pretty useless if you couldn't document it.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by 0RI0N
Yes as long as you don't take into account that the books are written from a political stand point.

One of the biggest parts of studying history is studying these different viewpoints, at least once you study it at a decent level. It's not all just this shit happened at this time because this bloke did some shit.
Quote by rgrockr

Without context science is neutered of a huge part of it's use. Don't presume it to be some omnipotent study that carries the world on it's back. It's just as subjective to history or philosophy as they are to it.
Quote by Nosferatu Man