Well the title pretty much says it all. My neck pickup came undone a while ago, because there was maybe a centimeter of wire, the leads are pretty much gone in both pickups!. I'm sure this happens often in older guitars, so even though I have plans on a new set, I would still like these working, and maybe even in the best condition they have seen for 30 years!

Anyways, I figured there could be some slack to work with, and now its just not connected anymore? I am assuming I will have to completely disassemble the bobbins and wire and such? Tried google and the UG searchbar, if any of you have any links to guides or something that would be stellar.

Thanks!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Well, a little messing around and I have realised that I need to connect both ends of the tiny copper wire to both the lead and shielding of maybe some 14 gauge shielded wire.

How would I tell which end is which, or does it not matter?
For the cost of shipping both ways I'll gladly repair them for you if you'd like. I've done it for several people on this site. Just ask anyone in the 'jim thread' and they'll tell you i'm great at it . It's a very delicate process (and that's a big understatement) so that's why i'm offering to do it. I love saving vintage stuff and if that start wire gets broken off during a bad repair, then the pickup is rendered useless.

If you dont trust me with the job i can send you a pm with detailed instructions, but i cant be held responsible in that case.

just let me know chief.
I'm relatively handy with a soldering gun? I would totally send them both in to you, Jim, but half the point is that I learn a little it on the way, right?

I am hoping these won't be my only vintage pickups, hell a person can even make a living off such things. Even though I am not going in the same persistent direction as you it has been a dream of mine for years. (Maybe when I'm an old guy?)

The wire is pretty damn thin, but I don't see why I can't just solder it up and start actually enjoying my leads again.

Why would it be useless? Is the wire really that fragile?
I really hope you mean soldering iron. a gun is overkill and will ensure failure.

The wire is indeed that fragile. The tensile strength is incredibly low so if you pull it too hard or man-handle it too much it'll break right off. I ruined many, many nice and old pickups because I thought I could handle it. Learning to do this yourself is all well and good, but only if you practice on shitty pickups like First Act and stuff, not vintage pickups (no matter the quality).

This is not a procedure to be taken lightly. In all honesty, you'd be incredibly lucky to pull this off without destroying the pickup. I'm not just saying all this in an attempt to make you send me the stuff, I'm just trying to warn you.

The finish lead isnt too big a deal if it breaks off because you can just take 1 turn off the bobbin and essentially start over. The start wire is a whole other beast. there is a very limited amount coming out from under the entire coil and if you mess up too much it'll be too short to work with and thats why the pup will be useless.

Good luck. You will certainly need it.
Quote by Invader Jim
I really hope you mean soldering iron. a gun is overkill and will ensure failure.

The wire is indeed that fragile. The tensile strength is incredibly low so if you pull it too hard or man-handle it too much it'll break right off. I ruined many, many nice and old pickups because I thought I could handle it. Learning to do this yourself is all well and good, but only if you practice on shitty pickups like First Act and stuff, not vintage pickups (no matter the quality).

This is not a procedure to be taken lightly. In all honesty, you'd be incredibly lucky to pull this off without destroying the pickup. I'm not just saying all this in an attempt to make you send me the stuff, I'm just trying to warn you.

The finish lead isnt too big a deal if it breaks off because you can just take 1 turn off the bobbin and essentially start over. The start wire is a whole other beast. there is a very limited amount coming out from under the entire coil and if you mess up too much it'll be too short to work with and thats why the pup will be useless.

Good luck. You will certainly need it.
You're scaring me...

I will mess around on the pup from my Peavey Patriot then, maybe even break it just to see how strong the wire really is.

Infact, I might as well use the wire from that pickup, I hate it anyways (its a Schaller if its anything to you)
If you really want to test the strength of the wire break the end lead, not the start. Breaking the end lead doesn't really matter. Be aware that older wire will be more brittle and the wire gauge could be different, too.
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
i'd like to add to the warning. I attempted changing 3 wire pups to 4 wire a while back... on my first attempt I broke the start wireon the north bobbin, resoldered it several times, with it breaking every time I tried to put the pup back in the cover and finally broke it off to close to be able to do anything with it.

of course, the second pickup I did worked perfectly, but I ended up ordering some duncans anyways.
Ok, brief update here. I decided to just dive into it. The tape was really really on there and I thought a steak knife would be a good tool to get it going. Horrible idea BTW, I broke multiple wires on the end bobbin. Luckily (sure, why not, yay luck!) I was able to save the beginning coil. It's back in the guitar and sounds pretty iffy, I think I may try some 250k pots! xD

A usable sound none the less, and now when I do it for the bridge I wont break it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Ok, brief update here. I decided to just dive into it. The tape was really really on there and I thought a steak knife would be a good tool to get it going. Horrible idea BTW, I broke multiple wires on the end bobbin. Luckily (sure, why not, yay luck!) I was able to save the beginning coil. It's back in the guitar and sounds pretty iffy, I think I may try some 250k pots! xD

A usable sound none the less, and now when I do it for the bridge I wont break it.

the moral of this story... never take a steak knife to your pickups....
i'm Ginger its fun