I'm looking into getting a new overdrive pedal and these two stood out to me, both of them I heard were pretty good overdrive pedals, but is there a huge difference? The TS808 costs $75 more than the TS9, so I was just wondering if there was a big difference between the two.
If I remember correctly from when I tried them both out the TS-808 has a much warmer tone, but the TS-9 has a little bit more bite to it. You'll have to try both out to figure out which one you prefer.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
Sound wise, they are a little different. Circuit wise there is literally 3 components difference, IMO definitely not worth the $75 price difference, you could easily mod a 9 to 808 specs for less than $10.
If you use your overdrive as a boost, they will sound near identical.
Quote by littlephil
Sound wise, they are a little different. Circuit wise there is literally 3 components difference, IMO definitely not worth the $75 price difference, you could easily mod a 9 to 808 specs for less than $10.

This. All of those subtleties you hear guys rave about in their boutique 808 clones are lost when used as a boost. Even when using it alone the difference is extremely subtle, not many will hear it. If you want what is IMO the ultimate boost for metal, buy a TS7, swap the chip for an OPA2134 for low noise and replace the clipping diodes with jumpers for a ton of output. If you want a stand alone OD, I'd recommend quite a few pedals over the TS series unless you want an SRV type tone.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Looking at the 2 pedals on MF your paying the extra money because its 'vintage'. You get the old style switch and a different IC certainly not worth 75$. You can always pay the 20$ and get the turbo version with its extra settings and change the IC to the vintage style.
Just hop on a Timmy when production starts back up. Doesn't color tone and doesn't have the annoying mid hump TSs have.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by littlephil

3? There's the two resistors at the output, what's the third? I mod other things myself, I like more bass and more range on the drive control but I don't know of this third component of which you speak - well unless you mean the mythical JRC4558.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification