Hi~
Im just wondering what you guys have for recording setups and/or what you would reccomend....

I want to make a setup on my own and be done with having to rely on pro studios. I think in this day and age its possible to attain pro sound in the comfort of your own home. Anyways post up some mp3's, vids, and your opinions of the most economical way to set up pro home recording. By the way I am more interested in the set ups oriented towards the metal genre. I think that makes things more complicated

Thanks
Hiram/Thousand Year War
well im no pro...
but
my setup at the moment is.....

a 5€ msn chat mic .... with cubase and reaper .....

but
if things had gone right then at this point i would've had
-alesis multimix 4 (usb interface)
-shure sm57
-Samson c01 condenser mic
-proel LDsomething condenser mic

which was a total of about 430€ ... which isnt bad at all considering how expensive shit could get

and from what the guy at the shop told me, and a friend who owns a studio, also from things i've read, that setup would be pretty good for everything...

u can hear my 5€ msn mic recordings at www.myspace.com/666dod

enjoy!
Macbook Pro > Line 6 GX Pod > Guitar.
To produce sounds I use the POD Farm that came with my GX. Simple recording stuff but it works wonders to be honest...much better than the Garage Band sounds and effects.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
A pro studio will always win because the guy at the desk is more experienced and knows all he can about how his gear works.....not to mention he has a crapload of high end equipment to work with......

My home studio setup:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=727964

I do a lot of radio imaging effects but also live streaming and podcasting.....so if ya think about it, a little of everything haha
Last edited by moody07747 at Jun 29, 2010,
well...
thats a really bold statement and definitely far from the truth:

In fact dealing with these "professionals" has me convinced that attaining the true sound I want will require going my own way. Alot of these guys, even though they really know their gear, can't pull their head of of their own ass long enough to achieve anything more than what their own ego lets them....

and there is no way you can convince me that the progression of the recording industry has not made it possible for the average joe to get a pro sound. **** man, I've already heard some stuff that sounds like it was recorded at a studio for 50/hr. that came out of a 20 year olds bedroom. haha
Cheers~
Hiram-Thousand Year War
http://www.myspace.com/thousandyearwar
well...
that is a really bold statement and definitely far from the truth:

In fact dealing with these "professionals" has me convinced that attaining the true sound I want will require going my own way. Alot of these guys, even though they really know their gear, can't pull their head of of their own ass long enough to achieve anything more than what their own ego lets them....

and there is no way you can convince me that the progression of the recording industry has not made it possible for the average joe to get a pro sound. **** man, I've already heard some stuff that sounds like it was recorded at a studio for 50/hr. that came out of a 20 year olds bedroom. haha
Cheers~
Hiram-Thousand Year War
http://www.myspace.com/thousandyearwar
I'd also have to disagree with Moody on that statement. It's really all about the guy behind the controls and the ears attached to his noggin. The only limiting factor in the home studio tends to be the vocals. For the most part though you can definitely attain pro results if you know what you are doing. With that being said. My setup as follows-

Cubase SX3
SM 57, SM 58, PG 48 for mics
A shit ton of rack effects for guitar
Line 6 Vetta II
Line 6 UX 1
POD Farm
MOTU 24 I/O Interface
MOTU Travelite
WAVES Mercury Edition
East West Symphonic Orchestra
EZ Drummer w/ DFH
Superior 2.0

All the guitar stuff I have in my profile right now is done with POD Farm...so it works well enough for piddlin around I think
I work at a professional studio and also have a home rig, but one thing I have noticed with some of the clients I have worked with is that they dont want to spend 2-3 hours getting the best sounds we can. They think it just happens in 15 minutes. I'll show up an hour early to set up mics and start patching in equipment to cut down on some time, but at the end of the day garbage goes in garbage comes out. Anyway my home rig is:

Mac Pro
Pro Tools M-Powered 8
Logic Pro 9
WaveBurner (Mastering)
M-Audio Project Mix I/O
Presonus Digimax FS
Lexicon MX300 Multi-FX unit
KRK Rockit 8 (pair)
KRK Rockit 10 (sub)
Waves Complete Bundle
SoundToys Bundle
Sonnox Oxford Bundle
Antares AVOX Bundle
Lexicon Reverb Plug-In
Guitar Rig 4
AKG Perception 200
Sennheiser e609
Not too much on the way of mics as I usually record at the studio and mix at home.
do you think we could get some pictures?

My "rig" if you could call it that:

Macbook
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
Garageband-----(soon to be Logic, I think)
KRK RP5 (pair)
SM 57
SM58
Oktava 219
Cascade Fathead
Quote by rockisalive
I work at a professional studio and also have a home rig, but one thing I have noticed with some of the clients I have worked with is that they dont want to spend 2-3 hours getting the best sounds we can. They think it just happens in 15 minutes. I'll show up an hour early to set up mics and start patching in equipment to cut down on some time, but at the end of the day garbage goes in garbage comes out. Anyway my home rig is:

Mac Pro
Pro Tools M-Powered 8
Logic Pro 9
WaveBurner (Mastering)
M-Audio Project Mix I/O
Presonus Digimax FS
Lexicon MX300 Multi-FX unit
KRK Rockit 8 (pair)
KRK Rockit 10 (sub)
Waves Complete Bundle
SoundToys Bundle
Sonnox Oxford Bundle
Antares AVOX Bundle
Lexicon Reverb Plug-In
Guitar Rig 4
AKG Perception 200
Sennheiser e609
Not too much on the way of mics as I usually record at the studio and mix at home.

Is this any good? I've heard it's okay, but I've also heard people say it ain't got shit on lexicon hardware?
Quote by strat335
do you think we could get some pictures?

My "rig" if you could call it that:

Macbook
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
Garageband-----(soon to be Logic, I think)
KRK RP5 (pair)
SM 57
SM58
Oktava 219
Cascade Fathead

Feel free to post in this thread when it comes to posting photos or videos of your studios guys:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=727964
You can get very good results at home, but there is a reason why pro studios cost what they do.

Sure, you'll get something very listenable at a home studio, but are you ever going to touch a Bob Rock, Mutt Lange, Tom Lord Alge production at home? No friggin' way. Ever. Unless your home IS a pro studio - pro gear, pro experience, pro room treatments, pro construction, pro everything.

BTW - my home studio:
http://www.greenroomrecording.now-here-this.com/

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Mac Pro
Pro Tools 8 M-Powered
Logic 8
Profire 2626
Digimax D8
Mackie MR-5 monitors
Guitar Rig 4
Superior Drummer 2.0
Waves Bundle
Melodyne
AKG 414 matched set
SM-81