so an orange ad30 came up as part of a trade for an amp i have

wondering how heavy it can get

i play pop punk and post hardcore like you me at six early stuff,fallout boy,paramore

i like to play heavy,gainy and thick enough but not too thick

just wondering exactly whats its like as iv no way of trying it out as its too far away to collect and cant exactly have the guy deliver it then say sorry i dont want it after hes travelled 2 hours

iv heard its alot more classic/vintage rock than high gain.i love the marshall sound e.g. dsl.could it pull it off??
eh... oranges sound distinctly different from marshalls. not as much bark, more growl. they're darker and fuzzier. some people are really into them, others are not. i'm in the latter camp. also, consider that an ad30 is going to have 4 el34s, it's going to lack the balls that an el34 driven marshall amp is going to be (depending on the amp).
Never played it myself, but it sounds pretty damn good in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K6aTeWiOgI

It should do pop punk no problem. (Of course, demo videos do no one piece of gear justice.)

I doubt it would pull off a Marshall-esque sound though (Keep in mind I've only played a DSL once, and never played an AD30). I know you said you love the Marshall sound, but were you asking that question because Paramore uses DSLs?

Out of curiosity, what amp are you trading for it?
Quote by Kikuta
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.

Quote by al112987
eh... oranges sound distinctly different from marshalls. not as much bark, more growl. they're darker and fuzzier. some people are really into them, others are not. i'm in the latter camp. also, consider that an ad30 is going to have 4 el34s, it's going to lack the balls that an el34 driven marshall amp is going to be (depending on the amp).

noooo ad30 has el-84, same as a vox but not vox sounding. its a classic amp. its out of the circuit when its maxed out. its vintage. i wouldnt do it if heavy pop punk is what you want. arctic monkeys used an ad30 at one point. if you want pop punk heavy, jcm 800, triple rec
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Skagasm, just because a band uses it in a different manner, doesn't mean it can't do it. the AD30 can surely do the bands he listed. pop punk isn't that heavy.
That clip sounds like the appropriate gain range when bumped up, but it's more classic sounding. You might not like the voicing so much...
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by guitarted
Skagasm, just because a band uses it in a different manner, doesn't mean it can't do it. the AD30 can surely do the bands he listed. pop punk isn't that heavy.

four year strong, paramore, blink-182 arent that heavy in vocals but they used gain cranked amps. i told him that band so he could use it as a way to hear the amp hot. btw there is a quoting system for a reason. and i was telling him he was wrong about the tube types. sure with a top of the line distortion pedal even a twin reverb can do pop punk but so can a jcm 800,900,2000 and a mesa double and triple rec. i mean tom delonge uses a vox now for his dirty sound but the ad30 is nothing like a vox.

if you really want an orange, the rocker 30, rockerverb mk11, rockerverb 100, and any thunderverb would suit you better
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

Last edited by Skagasm at Jun 29, 2010,
I think a thunder 30 would be better to be honest. They're not on the market yet but they have a revoiced rockerverb clean channel and a way gainier dirty channel. Plus an effects loop and a half power switch. The word on the street is they'll be out sometime this summer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em8NMQWJJgU
Quote by Skagasm
four year strong, paramore, blink-182 arent that heavy in vocals but they used gain cranked amps. i told him that band so he could use it as a way to hear the amp hot. btw there is a quoting system for a reason. and i was telling him he was wrong about the tube types. sure with a top of the line distortion pedal even a twin reverb can do pop punk but so can a jcm 800,900,2000 and a mesa double and triple rec. i mean tom delonge uses a vox now for his dirty sound but the ad30 is nothing like a vox.

if you really want an orange, the rocker 30, rockerverb mk11, rockerverb 100, and any thunderverb would suit you better

there is a quote system, but it's somewhat unnecessary if i directly address you and post right after you so there isn't any real room for confusion over who was being addressed.

telling him different amps to try is also rather irrelevant since he's already told us that he is already getting the amp in a trade.

i actually own and use an AD30HTC, the twin channel head, and can easily pull the tones he's talking about.
Quote by Skagasm
noooo ad30 has el-84, same as a vox but not vox sounding. its a classic amp. its out of the circuit when its maxed out. its vintage. i wouldnt do it if heavy pop punk is what you want. arctic monkeys used an ad30 at one point. if you want pop punk heavy, jcm 800, triple rec
sorry, I meant 84s, thats why i brought up 34s in the Marshall.
Quote by guitarted
there is a quote system, but it's somewhat unnecessary if i directly address you and post right after you so there isn't any real room for confusion over who was being addressed.

telling him different amps to try is also rather irrelevant since he's already told us that he is already getting the amp in a trade.

i actually own and use an AD30HTC, the twin channel head, and can easily pull the tones he's talking about.

just because you can get those tones doesnt mean its the best. i can get a metal sound out of my old super reverb but dont cha think a peavey would do it better? he is asking if the trade is good not that he has done it yet. i was telling him if someone is willing to trade an orange ad30 for his amp than someone else is bound to trade a mesa or a marshall which would be better than an ad30.
roland AC90

Quote by al112987
sorry, I meant 84s, thats why i brought up 34s in the Marshall.

its all good
roland AC90

an ad30 is more then enuff for blink and paramore.
are those even high gain. that's like marshall jvm lead channel levels of gain. which is like a slo after a hot cup of milk and just getting up from a nap.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
well pop punk and post hardcore.basically il need a range from gainy clean,not fender clean.to a thick gained up crunch.....really id be looking at heavy enough drop d stuff.love the sound of the bands that use dsl's.and iv not seen any bands i like use any orange heads bar the rockerverb

so would i be better off just saving a bit and getting a dsl or jvm
ya the ad30 will do that. I've played dsl's and tsl's at the store. They aren't really high gain by my standards. The ad30 will do that fine
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam