Ok I'm looking for a 24 fret jazz bass, that is NOT a fender (squier's ok) and is under 500 bucks.
preferably passive electronics but ill take what i can get.

any ideas? ive been searching for a good bit and cant find jack.
I would recommend some ibanez (not the gio ones...) but they may get out of your budget, and... I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.
Quote by Damaged Roses
I would recommend some ibanez (not the gio ones...) but they may get out of your budget, and... I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

You probably want to expand your musical horizons beyond the realm of AC/DC then.

In regards to the TS; why specifically a Jazz bass if you don't want a Fender one? Anything else is just going to look the same, not sound the same, so you'd be better off with an Ibanez or a Schecter or something.
Quote by Damaged Roses

This made me lol.
Which aspect of the jazz bass do you want? The shape of the pickup configuration?

Quote by Damaged Roses

Quote by Spaz91
Which aspect of the jazz bass do you want? The shape of the pickup configuration?

I'm a bit confused as well on this. My knee jerk reaction was to find a used Fender Jazz 24 but to flip Spaz' comment, what don't you like about the Fender line?
i guess i should have made this a bit more clear. hey it was late and i was haf asleep when i made the thread.

i mainly want the pick up configuration. i have an ibanez 5 string jazz and love it, but it only has 21 frets.
about fenders, i think most of them are just over priced and not worth the quality.
Quote by Alucard817
i guess i should have made this a bit more clear. hey it was late and i was haf asleep when i made the thread.

i mainly want the pick up configuration. i have an ibanez 5 string jazz and love it, but it only has 21 frets.
about fenders, i think most of them are just over priced and not worth the quality.

For what you pay, a Fender is definitely not over-priced. They're cheaper than most other instruments in the same quality range.

If you don't want to spend that much, then find something by a cheaper brand, but it won't be as good.

Anyway, you could look at one of the cheap Rockbass Corvettes if you want two single coils and 24 frets.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Warwick-Rockbass-Corvette-Basic-Electric-Bass-Guitar?sku=582366
Quote by Alucard817

For the record, you're 100% wrong there but I don't want to start a war so moving on...

Here's a few to look at:
Warwick Rockbasses, a few different models have JJ pickups and most of them have 24 frets.
Yamaha RBX A2, possibly above your price range.
There's more but I can't quite think.
I agree that fenders arent anything special, and are sort of overpriced. But They invented the jazz bass as we know it. If thats the sound you want, you wont be able to do better.

Lakeland is the only brand I can think of off the top of my head that makes really good j and p style basses. But those are custom, and way out of your price range.

By the way, what do you have against squier? My understanding is that their VM stuff is barely a step below the actual fenders.
Quote by tubatom868686
By the way, what do you have against squier? My understanding is that their VM stuff is barely a step below the actual fenders.

Again, way off the mark.

I recommend people simply stop trying to knock Fenders.
Quote by tubatom868686

oh nothing at all, i said i would go for a squier, probably more so then a MIM fender. the squier VM line is all intense and purposes a fender thats made over seas.

Quote by Spaz91
For the record, you're 100% wrong there but I don't want to start a war so moving on...

Quote by Ziphoblat
Again, way off the mark.

I recommend people simply stop trying to knock Fenders.

or what exactly?

Are you two some kind of fanboys or something, we are entitled to our OPINIONS regardless of whether you agree with them or not. have either of you seen the shoddy quality coming out of fender lately? go take a look at talkbass forums theres quite a few threads on the subject.
now i will be the first to admit pre CBS fenders KICKED ARSE, but CBS has changed fender, and not in a good way.
just get over it guys, not every one likes fender, not everyone likes Ibanez, or ESP or "X" company. thats why there are so many manufacturers, to account for the millions
of different tastes.
Last edited by Alucard817 at Jun 30, 2010,
Quote by Alucard817
oh nothing at all, i said i would go for a squier, probably more so then a MIM fender. the squier VM line is all intense and purposes a fender thats made over seas.

or what exactly?

Are you two some kind of fanboys or something, we are entitled to our OPINIONS regardless of whether you agree with them or not. have either of you seen the shoddy quality coming out of fender lately? go take a look at talkbass forums theres quite a few threads on the subject.
now i will be the first to admit pre CBS fenders KICKED ARSE, but CBS has changed fender, and not in a good way.
just get over it guys, not every one likes fender, not everyone likes Ibanez, or ESP or "X" company. thats why there are so many manufacturers, to account for the millions
of different tastes.

Have your own opinion by all means, but don't try and throw it in everyones faces in a thread where your opinion is not required.

Also, trying to suggest that Squier instruments are equal instruments to Fender has nothing to do with opinion, but rather stupidity.
Quote by Ziphoblat
Have your own opinion by all means, but don't try and throw it in everyones faces in a thread where your opinion is not required.

actually quite a few people asked me about my opinion on fenders, therefore making my statements REQUIRED.
how in the **** am i throwing anything in anyones face? do you have to read my posts? no do you have to read my threads? no. is anyone here forcing you? no. am i knocking on your door at 7am telling you about my opinion on fenders? no.
so i ask yet again how am i throwing anything in anyones face?

Quote by Ziphoblat
Also, trying to suggest that Squier instruments are equal instruments to Fender has nothing to do with opinion, but rather stupidity.

oh nice ad-hominem. this right here proves that you have nothing valid to point out just your hostility towards anyone with a different view.

and for the record the definition for opinion is:
a particular belief that is NOT based on evidence or certainty.
example: someone who says a particular type of music sucks, is an opinion.
my statement of both fenders and squiers is my OPINION.
next time your in doubt feel free to peruse over the definition again.

damn its a good thing i didnt cite my OPINION about gibsons, someone might just blow up my house.
Last edited by Alucard817 at Jul 1, 2010,
Quote by Ziphoblat

Ive heard from people that own both fenders MIA and MIM and VM's that they think the VM's are almost as good as the fenders.

And Ive played both, and while I admit the VM is a small step down, Its close.

Im also not just trying to "knock" fenders. Ive played a lot of basses. A LOT of basses. Ive practiced, gigged, and recorded on a lot of basses and I know that fender is not the answer for everyone; especially not me. I think they are chunky, boomy, and generally have slow necks. Thats my opinion, and I bet TS feels similar since he said he doesnt like fender. Im sick of being knocked for having legitreasons to not like fender

So gtfo

EDIT: TS, I thought you said you were against squier for some reason, so thats why I asked why you didnt want one. My bad.
Last edited by tubatom868686 at Jul 1, 2010,
Quote by Alucard817

For the record, CBS no longer owns Fender, and you can only apply the shoddy reputation of CBS-era instruments to basses from the 70's to the early-mid 80's, when corners were cut on production. Fender's since then have drastically improved in quality.

Now, on to business, with an under $500 budget there aren't a whole lot of options for 24 fret basses, but a used Spector Legend may be worth a look. Same goes for a Traben Array if you're willing to compromise on the pickup configuration in favor of a 24 fret neck.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Ziphoblat

I wouldn't suggest that they're equal to any Fenders, but they're certainly better than the MIM line. The quality of the parts are at least the same (certainly better pickups).

Quote by Alucard817
have either of you seen the shoddy quality coming out of fender lately?

No, no I have not. They are still amongst the best quality of production model basses. And I'm not a fanboy, I've owned Fenders in the past but I'm sticking to my Ibanez now.

Now just look into the basses we've suggested, I doubt you'll find anything else. Most 24 fret basses tend to be on the 'high-tec' side of things with humbuckers.
I had a fender jazz 24 and it was the best bass ive yet owned, dont know why i sold it, but hey thats life im looking for another.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
thanks to everyone thus far for the options. i looked at the fender jazz 24's and i think theyre discontinued, i could be wrong but thats the way it looks from my end.
i could go for a traben array or any other active humbucking bass, but i already have two (carlo robelli and my ltd-b104) so thats really not an option.

i did find this sexy beast
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hamer-Velocity-2-Ash-Bass-Guitar?sku=515180
hamer velocity 2, and it looks like it has everything im looking for, minus the passive elctronics. thats something i might change though.
Hmmm I dont see where you get off saying Fender is bad quality and is overpriced.. And dont say im a Fender fanboy because im not. Im a warwick fan =).

I used to own a Fender MIM and it was not overpriced for its quality. And even if that is my opinion, what evidence do you have to back up your opinion on them? When I go into a music store and play a bass I dont like, I dont go to the conclusion that there overpriced for there quality. Its just that its not for me.

And I dont see why you would take a squire over a Fender MIM? I think the whole purpose of squire is so you can get a idea and a feel of a actual Fender without actually having one.

And no I havent seen any shoddy quality coming out of Fender lately.

Edit* With your comment on the pre CBS Fenders. Have you ever even played one? The reason I ask is because the comments you have been saying about fenders in general seems like stuff people have been saying about them on talkbass.

Im beginning to think that your opinion on fenders is just based on what you have read of others peoples opinions about them.
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Last edited by The1bassist06 at Jul 1, 2010,
Quote by The1bassist06
Hmmm I dont see where you get off saying Fender is bad quality and is overpriced.. And dont say im a Fender fanboy because im not. Im a warwick fan =).

I used to own a Fender MIM and it was not overpriced for its quality. And even if that is my opinion, what evidence do you have to back up your opinion on them? When I go into a music store and play a bass I dont like, I dont go to the conclusion that there overpriced for there quality. Its just that its not for me.

Ill tell you my own opinion on why I dont like fender.

The tone is good, theres essentially nothing wrong with it. Not my favorite, but I can appreciate it. My main problem with fender is how it feels to play them. I like thinner necks. When I play fenders, the neck just feels stuffy and debilitating. I also like basses with the strings higher off the body; it makes playing flamenco and slap and tapping a lot easier to have the strings off the body. Im also not a huge fan of the string spacing, it feels kind of far apart on their 4 strings anyways. Also, I generally dont get along with the tone and volume knobs. Im a fan of onboard eq's. Last but not least, the necks just feel long to me. I feel like Im doing a lot more reaching when I play fenders

So to sum it up, I dont dislike the tone, I just dont like how they play
Quote by The1bassist06

And I dont see why you would take a squire over a Fender MIM? I think the whole purpose of squire is so you can get a idea and a feel of a actual Fender without actually having one.

And no I havent seen any shoddy quality coming out of Fender lately.

Edit* With your comment on the pre CBS Fenders. Have you ever even played one? The reason I ask is because the comments you have been saying about fenders in general seems like stuff people have been saying about them on talkbass.

Im beginning to think that your opinion on fenders is just based on what you have read of others peoples opinions about them.

all anyone has to do to see the declining quality of recent MIM fenders is to do a simple google search for "bad fender quality" and there are posts littered on the interweb about this issue, will every one of them have these issues? no. however fender should not have allowed these to leave the plants without first fixing them.

my uncle had a 1961 fender strat (dont ask the exact model) and i loved it, even though it was an older guitar it was phenomenal to play and hear. in my opinion newer fenders dont have the feel of the pre-cbs fenders. btw i do frequent the talkbass forums on occasion.
and i think the MIA fenders are over priced simply becuase theres nothing special, same bolt on construction that the million other companies have, same type electronics and the same wood quality that you find in most guitars that are around the 600-800 price range.
all you pay for with an MIA is the F E N D E R and for it to be made in the US, thats it.
the build quality may be higher then the MIM's but you can find the same build quality in an 700 dollar Ibanez or jackson.

the squier VM series is incredibly high quality, i think when i say squier; you think "bullet", and yes the bullets do suck, i would never in a million years own one....except maybe for fire wood. that being said the higher end squiers sound fantastic, i cant say how they play cuz i have yet to get the chance (soon hopefully) also every review i have seen of them, both professional and amateur, have raved about the squier VM series.

if i had the money i would probably grab one or two.
Last edited by Alucard817 at Jul 1, 2010,
Quote by Damaged Roses

cliff burton's bass solo in orion by metallica. he plays the 23rd fret.
You dug this up just to say that? Seriously? I also have come to despise any mention of that song on this forum.
Quote by Damaged Roses

=( cliff burton! ONE OF THE BASS GODS!!!!! dude if u wanna shred on bass u need the higher frets, claypool, wooten, some flea i mean come on!