My Vox VT100 bit the dust the other day, JUST out of warranty. Pretty frustrated but this has opened up a couple new ideas for me. I've gutted the casing and am converting the former amp into a stereo 2x12 cab (inputs for two amps/heads to drive each speaker).

I don't have much of a budget and would be hosed if it weren't for a couple friend's helping me out. I've got a pretty small budget but am thinking of running a Kustom Defender 5H into one speaker and a Vox Pathfinder 15R into the other. Or just two of either amp. What kind of volume do you think a setup like this would push? Enough to jam with a light handed drummer? Any other amp options I'm oblivious to in the price range? A stereo rig should be pretty fun and open up some new layouts for my pedal board. I play a little of everything except modern metal (good stuff, just not what I play) and have pedals to compensate for overdrive and distortions if needed (amps must take well to pedals). And we're talking a budget of roughly $250 MAX to buy either two amps/heads, or one amp head powerful enough to jam with a drummer and bassist.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Last edited by ianae86 at Jun 29, 2010,
What happened to the VT?

Your options are extremely limited at $250. I highly suggest going used, and not buying two amps. What kind of music?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
if you're getting a small amp, get a tube amp. 5 tube watts should get you further volume wise than a 15 watt SS practise amp.

Jet City Picovalve
Vox AC4TV
Epiphone Valve Junior/Hotrod

^ these are all (well they should be) decent sounding amps, limited control but should get enough volume to jam with a drummer (albeit you won't get too good of cleans)

If you could push to $300-400 you can get a lot more

Blackheart Little Giant/Handsome Devil
Jet City JC20H
Epiphone Valve Senior
Egnater Tweaker

So basically if you can manage to spend that little extra scrilla you'll get a lot more and make jams and even gigs a lot more accessable.
Thanks for the replies. The desire for two amps was strictly for a contrast in tones on a stereo rig. Really considering two Kustom Defenders. The EL84 power section sounds great in them. I love playing with my volume as needed for cleans.

So two of the Kustoms should be louder then the Pathfinder? Before my Vox blew I ran it in stereo with a friend's VT100 and stereo delay was the coolest thing for me. And the blending of tones with different amp models. I'd love that again in my setup.

As far as the VT100's early death it seemed to be related to the headphone jack being stuck in a permanent audio bypass mode. My attempts to fix it remedied nothing and after (eek) removing the solder pads, I'd need a whole new board to fix it. It was a fun 2 years, RIP.

EDIT: I only brought the Pathfinder into the picture because they sound AMAZING for being a solid state "practice amp" and I thought the cleans would be a nice blend with the early breakup of the Kustom.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Last edited by ianae86 at Jun 29, 2010,
Yea I've heard a lot of people dig the pathfinders for a cheap SS amp.

Actually, if you REALLY wanted to you could run 2 pathfinders through a couple cheap power amps into you're cab. But that could get expensive with quality poweramps, it'd could get LOUD though.

I may be wrong, but I think running in stereo won't actually make it "louder", I mean it could sound a bit louder, but at a gig, if one amps not loud enough, 2 won't be either.

Just looked up the Defender, that thing looks really cool. For $99 it should make a great practise amp for myself lol. Just remember, if you want to play a show with a 5 watter, you'll probably need to have your amp mic'd to a PA to play anything bigger than a cafe
Last edited by Tedward at Jun 29, 2010,
Look for a used Line 6 Flextone, or a Crate GX130c or GT3500H. You might find an Ampeg VH140c or SS140c in your budget as well...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Yeah the Defender sounds fantastic. So running a guitar through two 5 watt amps won't necessarily make them louder? Just fuller?
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Ya exactly ^

It's like the difference between a 1x12 cab and a 4x12 cab.
Quote by Raijouta
Look for a used Line 6 Flextone, or a Crate GX130c or GT3500H. You might find an Ampeg VH140c or SS140c in your budget as well...

But do any of them sound remotely decent? I can find a cheap, loud amp easily but in all honesty I don't know how much I'll be playing at cranked volume pretty soon. The drummer concern was just out of curiosity. I'd hate having a rig that just couldn't hang at all if needed.

*heads to Youtube for clips
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Quote by Tedward
Ya exactly ^

It's like the difference between a 1x12 cab and a 4x12 cab.

Aha, interesting. I know the two drummers I ever play with would have to hold back a little to make a 5 watter cut through. My (ex) band's other guitarist brought his 5 watt blackheart to practice once and I never heard it when we were playing.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.