I'm looking for something other than an OFR, trying to save money and everywhere I look, everyone is saying different things will and won't fit. Since I don't really want to buy something that doesn't work for me, will Gotoh/Schaller/anything other than an OFR be a direct drop without any routing?
why are you so agaisnt the OFR... I've seen it swapped with an edge III and it worked perfectly...
Gear:

Ibanez RG350DX w/ Seymour Duncans and an OFR
Genz Benz Black Pearl 30 Head
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
My family's store used to be an authorized Ibanez dealer. I can tell you that the only trem that will be a direct swap with an edge III is an OFR. BUt you WILL need the studs for mounting.

I can tell you right now that I've never seen a bad Edge III trem. They are just a bit picky about having a good setup on the instrument. If your action and neck tension is correct, then you should have NO tuning stability problems.

If your having tuning stability problems, then chances are that your trem is out of alignment. If your trem keeps moving out of alignment, then chances are that something else on the guitar is causing the issue. I've had many players bring their Edge III trems to me and I've set them up and they STAYED perfect. You just have to know what your doing. An original Edge or Floyd allowed you a large margin of error with its alignment. An Edge III trem does not.

That said, I personally like the Edge III (*gasp*). They have a much greater sweep range then some of the other trems and don't feel as bulky or as obtrusive. But I wouldn't recommend them to players that are either novice trem owners or do not know how to perform a pro setup on their guitars. ESPECIALLY a NEW guitar. A brand new guitar will fluctuate so much in its first year (usually caused by the wood still drying out), and you will have to perform quite a few pro setups on your new guitar in the first 2 years. Having a trem (especially a picky trem) only further compounds this issue.
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Last edited by theraven871 at Jun 29, 2010,
It's not that I'm against OFR's, it's just that I don't have $200+ to spend on one right now. Also rules out Edge Pro's since I'm trying to get around the $110-$130 I see Gotoh and such going for.

And Raven, it's actually just the D string that keeps coming out of tune. Since I hear so much heartache about it, I just figured I'd swap it out now instead of waiting for it to fail.

Plus, the guitars new and I'm a novice locking trem owner. I've owned two two point trems in the entire 2.5ish years I've been playing, so I tried my best to adhere to the diagrams and such in the Ultimate FR set up thread
The only two trems that directly swap with the edge III(without any mods to the studs)are the OFR and the Edge Pro..sorry, the gotoh wont fit..
Quote by archenemyfan
The only two trems that directly swap with the edge III(without any mods to the studs)are the OFR and the Edge Pro..sorry, the gotoh wont fit..

+1

Quote by theraven871

I can tell you right now that I've never seen a bad Edge III trem. They are just a bit picky about having a good setup on the instrument. If your action and neck tension is correct, then you should have NO tuning stability problems.

If your having tuning stability problems, then chances are that your trem is out of alignment. If your trem keeps moving out of alignment, then chances are that something else on the guitar is causing the issue. I've had many players bring their Edge III trems to me and I've set them up and they STAYED perfect. You just have to know what your doing. An original Edge or Floyd allowed you a large margin of error with its alignment. An Edge III trem does not.

I've had 3 Edge III's fail on me. They're decent trems in the first year or so, but once the knife edge wear out (and they do quickly if you use it at all)...time to replace.

All 3 guitars got OFR replacements.
Quote by eyebanez333
+1

I've had 3 Edge III's fail on me. They're decent trems in the first year or so, but once the knife edge wear out (and they do quickly if you use it at all)...time to replace.

All 3 guitars got OFR replacements.

That's odd. I've never seen a bad one yet.
I've also personally owned 2 of them and they functioned perfectly.
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Quote by theraven871
That's odd. I've never seen a bad one yet.
I've also personally owned 2 of them and they functioned perfectly.

Edge III on my old RG crapped out on me in 6 months of regular usage.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia