This is the first draft of a new tune I recorded tonight. It's supposed to have vocals, and the solo isn't there yet (I'm working on some crazy stuff, I just gotta make it even weirder). There will also most likely be added another section with a new riff before the last section. ^____^

Most of it is 4/4 but there is a section with time signature changes from 13/16 to 12/16 and straight forward 6/8.

Heavily inspired by Textures, Meshuggah and Buckethead.

Hope you like it! Feedback appreciated!

*C4C*

Listen to it wherever you like:

http://soundcloud.com/ddj1991/daniel-d-johansen-3-ways-to-die

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/BlisteringDDj/

*Updated*

Renamed to "Crossfire". It's in my profile, or you can listen to it here: http://soundcloud.com/ddj1991

Added solo, expanded a section to fit with the solo, and mixed it a little better (kick drum is adjusted).

Still C4C!
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Last edited by BlisteringDDj at Jul 17, 2010,
Quote by rickyj
megadeth title ripoff?

Unnecessary comment. No, the title is completely random. It's just the working title anyways, I don't have lyrics for it yet...
C4C
(or in my profile!)

I really liked the riff around 0:55, it worked well with the faster snare hits. I think there are some good ideas here, but it really does need vocals and more leads. The few that were in there were pretty insane though. I've never been able to get into polyrhythmic/math stuff, but keep going with this. I think it can end up pretty interesting with some more work.
Daniel,
Guitar tone is good & the guitar riffs sound very good for this genre. Drums work well for this style of music. Feels like it could use some vocals. How on earth did you get that guitar sound at 0:50? Wild! I'm curious how you got the guitar sound at 2:50 also. You'll have to post it again when you finish it! I've never had anyone from Norway comment on my music, so I would appreciate it if you reviewed my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1332089
12/16 and 6/8 in the same song?! Did you have 3/4 too?

Joking aside, it was pretty cool. Intro riff reminded me of Nebulous (+ all the way, one of the best on Nothing) Nice guitar tone too. Wondering where you highpassed those though, they seem a little bassy. Leave that to the bass guitar. The drums were a little too thrashy for the genre in the riff at 0:55, in my opinion. I'm a fan of that snare sound, but that bass drum needs some more click to it. Boost a few dBs like 6-7 kHz. Nice riff around 2:00. Nice transition at 2:50.

Overall sweet song. Pretty good recording too. I think if you try out some of the stuff I mentioned it'll be sick.

c4c?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1332426
or just comment on Demo6 in my profile.
Thanks!

Aaron: It's supposed to have vocals, but I don't have lyrics for it yet, or a vocalist at the moment. At 0:50 I layered 4 guitars playing the same lick a second interval above each other. At 2:50 I pick scraped and faded in, while the snare was playing fast triads in the new tempo. The guitar also had phaser and frequency shifter on. (:

sambot12: Thanks for the feedback on the mix. I'm still quite new to it and I always appreciate response. Will try it out! About the thrashy drums, that's just the way I like it. I won't change it. I have my influences which stick with my in all of my compositions, I'm mainly a thrash metal guitarist as well. In almost everything I make there are hints of thrash, avant-garde, math and progressive rock/metal. (:

C4C coming up!
C4C
(or in my profile!)

Quote by BlisteringDDj
About the thrashy drums, that's just the way I like it. I won't change it. I have my influences which stick with my in all of my compositions, I'm mainly a thrash metal guitarist as well. In almost everything I make there are hints of thrash, avant-garde, math and progressive rock/metal. (:

C4C coming up!

Oh yeah dude, no need to change it, just my personal preference. I don't know if a true math metal fan would call Meshuggah math metal or not, but it's the closest thing to math metal I listen to so I was kind of comparing it to them while I listened.
Quote by sambot12
Oh yeah dude, no need to change it, just my personal preference. I don't know if a true math metal fan would call Meshuggah math metal or not, but it's the closest thing to math metal I listen to so I was kind of comparing it to them while I listened.

Meshuggah is definitely math metal! They where thrash metal back in the days though (but they sucked at it). ^___^
Check out their song Combustion from obZen. Tomas Haake uses that thrashy rhythm there!
C4C
(or in my profile!)

This is cool stuff, I like where you're going with it. The synth sounds at the beginning are a perfect start! The tone is sweeeeet! I would say some lead stuff over the repeating sections would make it sound more complete. Over all it's a great track so far! What do you use to record?

It'd be awesome if you could give me some crit as well: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1332829
Last edited by gabestigmatic at Jul 2, 2010,
Thanks! There are no synths at all. Two guitars, both with phaser effects and a lot of reverb on the drums. ^____^

I use a Line 6 Spider Valve amp, SM57 mic, Pro Tools and Superior Drummer 2. (:
C4C
(or in my profile!)

Quote by BlisteringDDj
Meshuggah is definitely math metal! They where thrash metal back in the days though (but they sucked at it). ^___^
Check out their song Combustion from obZen. Tomas Haake uses that thrashy rhythm there!

Oh I know I can't stand their really old stuff. Sounded like Jens was trying to sing sometimes and it was just awful. I like maybe the first 30 seconds of combustion. One of the weirdest drum parts is in War in my opinion. Sounds like grindcore and its just totally not their style, but yet it works really well.
*Updated*

Renamed to "Crossfire". It's in my profile, or you can listen to it here: http://soundcloud.com/ddj1991

Added solo, expanded a section to fit with the solo, and mixed it a little better (kick drum is adjusted).

Still C4C!
C4C
(or in my profile!)

That was definitely something different than what I normally listen to. I thought the small leads parts were horribly off key, idk if that's part of the genera, but from a musical perspective, didn't fit with the song. I thought the rest though was pretty well planned out, props to you for playing to a 6/8 beat, I've always had problems playing to that.

The solo was pretty good, needs to be higher in the mix though. You have a good base tone, but if you double track them and pan them hard left and right you'll have an even better tone.
One more thing, I noticed that you mix in general is quite muddy with lows, I would cut some of the lows on your guitars and maybe even your drums, like high pass the guitars and drums.

Hope I was somewhat helpful.

If you could, can you take a listen to my new song "We Deal In Lead" on my profile, it's still a rough draft, but it's like a Power/Thrash metal type thing.

^ I do have problems balancing lows and highs in the mix. It is double tracked, but I've paned them to 70/100 left and right. I'll try panning the all the way. Definitely helpful mate. Thanks! (:

The leads that were "off key" are layered guitars playing in second intervals above each other. It's supposed to sound that way. Listen to some Buckethead and you'll get it.

I'll check out yours later! *Done!*
C4C
(or in my profile!)

Last edited by BlisteringDDj at Jul 17, 2010,