you can have any gauge string if you're using a floyd rose.

...just as long as you have your guitar adjusted for the different tensions
its all personal preference. i know a guy that uses 12's on an FR for standard.
DIMETHYLTRYPTAMINE
lol
Quote by --ESTRANGED--
its all personal preference. i know a guy that uses 12's on an FR for standard.

some one on my street does that with whammy O.o but i mean will the string untune faster?
its a floyd rose it locks the string. If you want to go for 11s go for it but it needs some setup. 1 famous player i know that uses 11s is kirk hammett (on a floyd rose)
Quote by Mobiusr
its a floyd rose it locks the string. If you want to go for 11s go for it but it needs some setup. 1 famous player i know that uses 11s is kirk hammett (on a floyd rose)

its funny because i have his sig guitar.. and i dont like him much. but i love his neck! what would i have to do?
When you string the 11's on the FR, there is more tension because the strings are probably bigger than what it was set up for stock, 9's probably. So You'll have to adjust the tension on the springs in the back by screwing the claw in or out.
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
Just bring it in to a tech. 11s will have a good bit of tension, you may want to tune down a little.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Zamorak
When you string the 11's on the FR, there is more tension because the strings are probably bigger than what it was set up for stock, 9's probably. So You'll have to adjust the tension on the springs in the back by screwing the claw in or out.

oh i know how to do that. what im worried about is the strings needing to be fine tunned a lot then having to lossen the nutt retune and all that
Quote by Darkdevil1584
oh i know how to do that. what im worried about is the strings needing to be fine tunned a lot then having to lossen the nutt retune and all that

For example if you were using 09s then switch to 11s your gonna need a setup anyways. Go look up on the forum there is a full tutorial on how to set it up. It seems hard but its really easy
Quote by Mobiusr
For example if you were using 09s then switch to 11s your gonna need a setup anyways. Go look up on the forum there is a full tutorial on how to set it up. It seems hard but its really easy

... i know how to set up a floyd.. its easy.... floating it is not hard. what i want to know is will it go out of tune quicker with 11s..