Hi, ppl im new to the forum and hope to have a great time here on ultimateguitar.com

Ok cut to the chase... 2 years ago i decided to sell my Ibanez SZ2020 Prestige because of an economical crisis i was facing at the time... 3 days ago i saw the same guitar listed on sale on my local marketing webpage... i was really excited about it but the thing that is holding me from buying it right now is the fact that the guy modied the guitar... The neck was scalloped and the guitar was refinished into a shiny laquer (before was a satin finish) all the work was done by a pro.

So, if you were on my shoes... would you buy that beauty again ?

Here are the pictures...

Last edited by TheStratGod at Jun 29, 2010,
Welcome to the forums

The scalloped neck is what would kill it for me; have you ever played on a scalloped neck? You've got to have a really light touch, it's not like playing on a standard neck at all. I'd say definitely don't buy it unless you've tried out a scalloped fretboard before.

Other than that... Damn, that's a good looking guitar
If the scalloped neck benefits you and you know what it's like to play one, then yes. It does look really nice!
:S
all scalloped is a bit much.
its a pretty looking guitar no doubt, but i highly recommend you try it out before doing anything else.
Quote by irishstang_87
Welcome to the forums

The scalloped neck is what would kill it for me; have you ever played on a scalloped neck? You've got to have a really light touch, it's not like playing on a standard neck at all. I'd say definitely don't buy it unless you've tried out a scalloped fretboard before.

Other than that... Damn, that's a good looking guitar

is the light touch because if you push too hard it would pull the string taught and raise the pitch because theres no wood to stop the string?
Man, I've never seen an entire neck scalloped. Usually from 12 up, but not the whole thing. Looks weird. I wouldn't mess with it IMO.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by rickyj
is the light touch because if you push too hard it would pull the string taught and raise the pitch because theres no wood to stop the string?

Exactly. Makes you a more accurate player, but it's not my cup of tea.
WOW !, thanks very munch for the input all of you... that's what i call a fast response. Well for those who asked if i played an scalloped fretboard before the answer is no... and thats why it keeps me suffering, i never stop asking myself "What if i like the scallops ?" and then "If i dont like the scallops im going to f*ck up pretty hard "...

Im looking a guitar like this to complement the tones that my strat cant handle... and i dont know a guitar that does it better than this one... well... until it was scalloped.

Quote by cdr_salamander
Man, I've never seen an entire neck scalloped. Usually from 12 up, but not the whole thing. Looks weird. I wouldn't mess with it IMO.

Actually you can have a complete fretboard scalloped on guitars like the malmsteen and blackmore strats, theres nothing wrong with that...
I wouldn't imagine that the tone would be effected much by the scalloped fretboard, However if the guitar was refretted the tone could be different depending on the fret width and fret compression. I didn't see you say that it was refretted but I'm just saying it.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Quote by Gargoyle2500
I wouldn't imagine that the tone would be effected much by the scalloped fretboard, However if the guitar was refretted the tone could be different depending on the fret width and fret compression. I didn't see you say that it was refretted but I'm just saying it.

The seller indeed dosent states that... but who knows ?.

Now, for those that are really into the scalloped thing... What do you guys think of that scalloping job ?, it is a light or deep scallop ?.
Quote by TheStratGod
Actually you can have a complete fretboard scalloped on guitars like the malmsteen and blackmore strats, theres nothing wrong with that...

I was just saying I haven't seen anything like that. Seems like it would be learning the guitar all over again.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by cdr_salamander
I was just saying I haven't seen anything like that. Seems like it would be learning the guitar all over again.

Some people get over it quickly and others dislikes the feel so munch that dosent even get used to it... thats my fear, especialy because im mainly a Blues/Rock player and this types of mod are most commonly for people who play metal.
Nope.Not me.If you want a guitar with a scalloped neck go for it other wise run like hell.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Personally i'd be more inclined to buy it with the mods than it was before, that thing looks ridiculously awesome!

Scalloped frets are a bit of a taste thing as you may have guessed, but don't knock it till you've tried it. I was always very on edge about scalloped frets, that was until i tried an ESP Kiko Loureiro signature model which has scallops from the 12 fret onwards. To be honest, at first it threw me a bit, and you do have to think about what you're doing for a bit but once you fall into the groove of it, it becomes so much more natural to play. In fact, i found it so much easier to play on scalloped frets that i found it harder going back to an un-scalloped fretboard!

Many people are focusing on the negatives of scallops, but contrary to popular belief you don't have to play lighter (unless you fret really stupidly hard) but you do have to play with your hand more relaxed. In exchange for this though, you get way more control over your notes, because it's just your fingers touching the strings without the fretboard getting in the way creating drag. If you have any more questions about the scalloped fretboard go here https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1059109, it's a really great guide on scallops and has a pretty helfpful FAQ and they'll be able to answer any more questions you have.

But if you're really THAT put off by the scallops, i'd say get it anyway, because no doubt you could sell it again quite easily if you hated the new feel of it, it's a very unique guitar with some history to it which i know some people would be really interested in (me included). Also, sorry for the wall of text haha
Last edited by SDM at Jun 30, 2010,
First of all, I have to say that the work on the guitar has been done to a very high standard, so the guitar has been looked after whilst it's been in the other guys care.

Secondly, if it's on Craigslist, can't you just go and play it and see if you like it? That'd be the best thing to do really, as none of us can tell you if you will like the scallops or not.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Maybe buy another one that's similar or even the same.

You already had your moments with the guitar, but it's not the same anymore... Like a high school sweetheart :/

>implying I ever had one
Quote by SDM
Personally i'd be more inclined to buy it with the mods than it was before, that thing looks ridiculously awesome!

Actually thanks for taking your time explaining your experience with scallops... im not saying that i dont like this mod, indeed it looks awesome... but i have kinda of fear to screw with it, the guitar is being sold on a Ebay style website of my country and the guy lives in a different state than mine, plus the guitar seems not to be easy to sell because i found out that it was listed many times before i discovered it... maybe because the same fear that i have to scalloped frets.

One thing that i renember about this guitar was the heaviness of the body (1 Piece Mahogany with Maple top), so scalloping this neck (Set Neck) might have trown the guitar out of balance... what do you think ?
Scalloping doesn't require you to have a lighter touch than a guitar with large frets. If you press down too much on large frets, you'll make the note go sharp. It's the exact same force that's required on a scalloped neck for that. Most people who play with large frets never touch the fretboard unless they're bending. Even then, it's likely that you won't touch it. Scalloping is just a way to get the fretboard out of the way. But that's the same purpose as larger frets. It probably won't make a huge difference. I highly doubt that scalloping threw the guitar out of balance. I would buy that.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Scalloping doesn't require you to have a lighter touch than a guitar with large frets. If you press down too much on large frets, you'll make the note go sharp. It's the exact same force that's required on a scalloped neck for that. Most people who play with large frets never touch the fretboard unless they're bending. Even then, it's likely that you won't touch it. Scalloping is just a way to get the fretboard out of the way. But that's the same purpose as larger frets. It probably won't make a huge difference. I highly doubt that scalloping threw the guitar out of balance. I would buy that.

hmm... basically yeah,but you dont need to scallop if you have jumbo frets

scalloping on medium frets=jumbo frets

scalloping on jumbo frets =well,more sensitive than playing on jumbo frets

but still,I also dont think that would be problem..as what scalloping does is make strings lighter and easier to bend and play..
Yes i have just noticed that on my Fender Strat that has Medium-Jumbo frets, my fingers are not actually touching the fretboard when doing scales and chords... Also i noticed that when you use heavy strings you cant bend the note by going inwards the fretboard due to the high tension, so maybe if i string this guitar well i will not have many problems of notes going sharp when i press hard.
stringing it in a different way wont help you,You got to adjust to feel of scalloped frets ..ie you will have fret lighter
Quote by archenemyfan
stringing it in a different way wont help you,You got to adjust to feel of scalloped frets ..ie you will have fret lighter

Yes, i know im going to need a lighter touch anyways but the heavier strings will surely help me to not throw the note out of tune rather that if i string it with lighter strings... because of the tension i will not be able to bend the note inwards that easy.
yeah thats true,but its better if you can get used to playing scalloped frets with lighter strings since you're gonna keep this guitar for while (assuming that you'd buy it)
Quote by archenemyfan
yeah thats true,but its better if you can get used to playing scalloped frets with lighter strings since you're gonna keep this guitar for while (assuming that you'd buy it)

Yeah... thats my plan but are you saying that refreting a scalloped guitar would be a problem ?
Quote by TheStratGod
Yeah... thats my plan but are you saying that refreting a scalloped guitar would be a problem ?

umm why would you wanna refret?

if you're talking about the replacing the fingerboard to get rid of the scallop that would be a huge task,it would be much easier to buy a new neck and put it in..
Quote by archenemyfan
umm why would you wanna refret?

if you're talking about the replacing the fingerboard to get rid of the scallop that would be a huge task,it would be much easier to buy a new neck and put it in..

Every guitar player has to be aware that one day you will need to do a refreting or fret job in order to keep the guitar in good playing condition, so if the scalloped fretboard would dificult this that would be a problem, and more knowing the fact that this is a set neck guitar so the neck is not replaceable.
Quote by TheStratGod
Every guitar player has to be aware that one day you will need to do a refreting or fret job in order to keep the guitar in good playing condition, so if the scalloped fretboard would dificult this that would be a problem, and more knowing the fact that this is a set neck guitar so the neck is not replaceable.

,I thought you were gonna refret to get rid of the scalloping :confusing:

I dont think refretting will be harder than normal,of course I've never refreted a scalloped guitar so I cant be sure of that
Quote by TheStratGod
One thing that i renember about this guitar was the heaviness of the body (1 Piece Mahogany with Maple top), so scalloping this neck (Set Neck) might have trown the guitar out of balance... what do you think ?

I wouldn't imagine it'd throw the balance out since the amount of wood taken would be very minimal. Even if it did throw the balance out it'd be toward the body of the guitar instead of the neck, so you won't have to worry about neck dive.

As far as re-fretting goes i wouldn't say it'd be impossible to re-fret a scalloped guitar, but it'd probably be more difficult than a normal board so i'm guessing it'd cost you a bit more to get done by a luthier. It looks professionally done so i'd be pretty confident with it coming out well.

Also, as far as resale goes, you could quite easily sell it here, ebay is good and all but you won't get as many guitarists on similar ebay sites than you would in the classifieds section on UG, as long as the price is right you'll make the sale. Out of curiosity, how much is he asking for the guitar? Since it's a prestige model i wouldn't imagine it'd be cheap, but some people knock the prices into stupid levels once they've modded them.
Scalloped necks are for players that never picked up an acoustic and built up finger strength. Just saying.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger

Taylor 414CE
Quote by cdr_salamander
Scalloped necks are for players that never picked up an acoustic and built up finger strength.

Or former sitar players.