I did a cover of californication, one version is unmastered the other is. Please tell me any tips i did wrong with mastering regarding compression,eq,limiting, and etc.

www.myspace.com/silverrock224

the unmastered one is named californication cover.
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster by Squire
Ibanez Acoustic
Casio Keyboard
Line 6 Spider II
Zoom G2.1u pedal
Epiphone Les Paul Studio

Quote by Colohue
Nope. I'm far too honest.
In the verses, I'd watch the high end on the overheads, or whichever mic(s) are picking up the hats, specifically the open ones - they stick out a bit. The drums also feel a little too distant. It makes the entire piece feel a bit lost, I'd turn the kick up a bit, and probably sort out any reverb on the snare. The snare also had a little bit too much top end I felt.

My only other criticism would be the bass. It needs to stand out more - it's RHCP. It needs more top end, to increase the clarity. You need to be able to hear each note as well as just feel it.

Overall though, I thought it sounded pretty decent.
Mastered? or mixed?

masters generally come out louder due to the compression.

is the bass a pitch shifted guitar? if not, it needs some eq help... if it is, there's not a whole lot you can do to help that.

as far as mixing goes, the drums are a bit quiet and the guitar is very overpowering at times. all the instruments need to sit together and compliment each other. they'll each sound better if they're supported correctly by the others.
@zipho : the drums were pulled off of youtube and I did my best to compress them and smooth them out, I do agree the drums weren't where id like them to be at though. The bass,honestly I messed up on a little and wanted to cover it up. No excuse to not rerecord but sadly I was lazy. I'll try to get more on the ball with that though thx for the comments.
Gear:
Ibanez Acoustic
Casio Keyboard
Line 6 Spider II
Zoom G2.1u pedal
Epiphone Les Paul Studio

Quote by Colohue
@sandy : both are mixed one is mastered, I honestly don't know what I'm doing mixing and mastering wise, so thank you for the things you pointed out. the mastered one was supposed to be louder but due to the fact that my head phones were louder then the ones I used to do the unmastered I turned the master down and forgot to put if up. That is a guitar with a sub octave effect to subs the bass. But maybe playing with the eq would give it a more authentic bass sound so I'll try that next time. Again I'm A newb at mastering and mixing and its all literally 2 days old for me. So thanks so much for your tips. I might post a (re)mastered version now that I know more.
Gear:
Ibanez Acoustic
Casio Keyboard
Line 6 Spider II
Zoom G2.1u pedal
Epiphone Les Paul Studio

Quote by Colohue