Is this a solid top guitar?
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SGT120NT-SAGE-SERIES-Acoustic-Guitar-?sku=512326

This is what the description says:
The SGT120NT features a solid spruce top that not only sounds great now, but will continue to age and improve over time.

And then,

Ibanez SGT120NT SAGE SERIES Acoustic Guitar Features:

* Dreadnought body
* Spruce top
* Mahogany back and sides
* Pearloid rosette
* Ibanez chrome die-cast tuners
* High gloss finish
so is this a solid top guitar? I'm thinking about this one, or the Ibanez v200s, which definitely has a solid top. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-V200S-Solid-Top-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=514520
No. On websites like Musician's Friend, if it's a solid top guitar, it will specifically say 'solid spruce top.'

On some websites, usually the company of the website, they will specify that every guitar in a particular series is solid wood, so they won't put it in the specs. But in this particular case, you're looking at a laminate top guitar.

edit: As well, Ibanez isn't known for having the best acoustics. Try giving a look at Yamaha or Alvarez. Both wonderful alternatives with consistant quality.

edit 2: Went back and read the post again. It COULD have a solid top on it. But I have my doubts, and I doubt it's that good of a guitar anyway. Sorry for the constant edits.
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature
Last edited by iband48 at Jun 29, 2010,
I think this one's come up before. If Ibanez's site says it's a solid top, it's probably a solid top.

Anyway, I still wouldn't touch it with a 39 1/2 foot pole.
i believe that is a mistake by musician's friend. for $200, you could get a yamaha fg700s that really does have a solid top. if you get it at gc, you may be able to save that 15% for fourth of july, too.
Quote by iband48
Ibanez isn't known for having the best acoustics. Try giving a look at Yamaha or Alvarez. Both wonderful alternatives with consistant quality.

edit 2: Went back and read the post again. It COULD have a solid top on it. But I have my doubts, and I doubt it's that good of a guitar anyway. Sorry for the constant edits.

Really? what makes an acoustic a good guitar? because i was also looking at this one, which has a solid top, but it's also an Ibanez. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...itar?sku=514520
The big thing about Ibanez that a lot of people don't like, concerning their acoustics at least, is just that their build quality can be pretty eclectic. Sometimes you'll get a guitar from them that is absolutely phenomenal, and other times you could get the exact same model that has a hundred things wrong with it.

The things that are going to effect how good an acoustic guitar is are the quality of wood used and the quality of construction. Yamaha is, as many consider it, the company that makes the best low-end guitars. Because they use good wood for the price, and are consistant in how good of a guitar they make. Wahsburn and Alvarez are also two companies that put forth some great quality low-end guitars, many of them with solid tops.

I'd go with Patticake's recommendation and get the Yamaha FG700S. It's not much more expensive than what you're looking at, and is one of the best budget guitars on the market.
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature