I just bought a beautiful used MIM Strat for almost half the price. Still had the plastic on it! Anyways, I hate dislike tremolos so I'm thinking about throwing more springs in it and locking it back. I know there is some beneficiaries to this such as a little more sustain and whatever, but is there any bad consequences from doing it? Thanks.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
if you block and lock it then the only thing you lose is the ability to move the vibrato, since you're basically turning it into a fixed bridge guitar. That's it. Everything else is improved. If you're not going to use the vibrato then you might as well block and lock it, there are no downsides in that instance.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
i dunno, i like the tone when it's floating...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i dunno, i like the tone when it's floating...

I have to agree with this. I tightened all of the springs on my Strat for some time and it lost some of the "Strat" tone. It didn't sound bad, just different. I have it back to floating now.

Edit: the main tonal difference I noticed are you get more sustain and a fuller tone when the springs are tightened. Sounds good on paper but you lose that airy, springy, bell-like tone. Those are the best tonal assets of Strats IMO.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Jun 30, 2010,
yeah, exactly. It's not really "better", more "different". Granted on any (most) guitar other than a strat, that might be construed as "better", but on a strat those things work against the strat's inherent tone, imo.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?