I searched but couldn't find anything so far.

Problem is that my band's singer isn't loud enough to cut through and be heard well. Generally, if my understanding is correct, the vocals should be the loudest, followed by the guitar, then bass, drums, etc.

If any gear gurus could weigh in on what I may need, that would be great.

We're using a Behringer 550watt PA speaker, through a small mixer that claims to have amplification for the mics. All we're running through the mixer/speaker is one mic and a keyboard.

I play guitar through a Peavey 6505 112, we have a bassist with a fender 100watt amp, and an acoustic drum set. For practice inside, we're passable at best as far as volume levels are concerned, but outside it sucks. The drums are loud, so I have to crank my amp to be heard over them, and in doing that, the vocals are lost.

What kind of gear/amp/whatever do we need to make the vocals louder? I would think a 550watt speaker could handle anything we throw at it, so we shouldn't need another speaker, right?
Has he tried standing closer to the mic?
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
How about instead of cranking up all the amps to be heard over the drums you just tell the drummer to play softer and keep the amps at a lower level?
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
Quote by MAC2322
How about instead of cranking up all the amps to be heard over the drums you just tell the drummer to play softer and keep the amps at a lower level?
****ing this.

Also, how many watts is your mixer? A 1,000,000 watt speaker ain't gonna do shit if you only have a 2 watt amp.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
Has he tried standing closer to the mic?
Also, this.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
First, playing outside will never sound good unless you use proper sound reinforcement, which requires, money, gear, and expertise.

Second, the volume of your mic comes from the pres in the mixer. You should be getting plenty of volume from the pres without cranking the gain. If this isn't the case, get a new mixer with decent mic pres. If that doesn't work, try a different mic.

It's pretty hard to pinpoint help for you seeing as that I have no clue what mic or mixer you are using, so hopefully this serves as a starting point for you.
Yeah I forgot to mention that the presence on the mixer is high as it can go. If it gets any louder, the thing starts squealing. My singer's having to rip her throat out screaming loud to even be heard, which needless to say isn't good. So proximity to the mic/mumbling isn't the case at all.

And can't recall the exact brand/model of the mixer, but it's a cheap behringer I think. And the mic's a pretty old dynamic, but in decent shape. But when using my SM57, it's not any better. Would a better mixer solve the problem, or some sort of preamp?

And to the folks talking about telling the drummer to drum softer? Not sure if you guys know, but the point of playing any kind of music is to express yourself. If the drummer is into what they're doing, they want to beat the hell out of the drums, just like guitarists want to bang on the guitar as much as possible. I need the equipment to make up for the variables in volume.

And I can't play my amp quieter. A 6505 with the volume on 2 sounds like ass.
Quote by MAC2322

This. Loud drummers are one of my biggest pet peeves.

Quote by Squier2Knight
And to the folks talking about telling the drummer to drum softer? Not sure if you guys know, but the point of playing any kind of music is to express yourself. If the drummer is into what they're doing, they want to beat the hell out of the drums, just like guitarists want to bang on the guitar as much as possible. I need the equipment to make up for the variables in volume.

"Express" yourselves during shows. When you're at band practice, try 'practicing'.
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Jun 29, 2010,
Quote by Squier2Knight

Volume =/= Expression.

You can easily put emotion into your music and 'feel' what you're playing without driving the instruments and amps to their max volume. If your drummer is playing so loud that he impedes the performance of the rest of the band (which he is doing, if what you say in your post is correct), then there is absolutely nothing wrong with asking him to play a bit softer.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
When we have the problems, it's during shows/gigs.

But even if I've got King Kong on the drums with tree trunks, is there no way in the world to make the microphone volume go over 9000??
Seriously, quiet the drummer and it will make a world of difference.

And if the amps are too loud, buy smaller ones, or invest in a device called a power soak (goes by a couple other names). Basically it's like a master volume control so you can crank the gain without earsplitting volumes. I think Scholz Research & Design made a good one back in the 80s, or you can even find schematics to build them yourself online.
Quote by Mudmen190
Problem 1.

wow, someone who doesn't like behringer because their low end stuff sucks.
Behringer makes FANTASTIC products, such as higher end amps and good mixers.

EDIT: As already posted, tell drummer to not hit so hard, try a new mixer, and as said, a super loud speaker wont be worth it if you have a really small amp.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Last edited by Tango616 at Jun 30, 2010,
I've heard this problem a few times and it always confuses me - My band practises with an acoustic drumkit, a 120W guitar amp and a 100W bass amp. We use a 120W PA for vocals and it's more than loud enough. Why doesn't your drummer just pad his kit a bit? That way he can still hit it hard but it isn't as loud. It doesn't matter if it doesn't sound great in practise..
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
How many watts is the PA speaker? And can you hear the keyboards pretty well.

And also, the instruments shouldn't really be louder than each other, they should kinda be even, and turned up a bit if you have a solo. Given the fact that you're cranking your 60w valve amp to the max, and I don't even turn my 15w valve amp up halfway to be heard over the drums (yes, I know how watts work, and that 15w is more than half the power of 60w), you might want to consider turning stuff down.

Put amplifiers and speakers up on stools as well. It'll seem louder. The drummer in my band is pretty loud, and so is the other drummer I know, so really don't make any excuses like that. If he's too loud, don't turn everything up to compensate, tell him to not smash the drums like a psycopath.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Well I don't crank my amp to max. I just have to be on at least 3.5 on the volume or it sounds crappy. And that's where I stay, unless I'm soloing in which case it goes to 5. We have a good mix between the guitars and drums. It's just the keyboard and vocals that suffer.

And don't get me wrong, my drummer doesn't smash the hell out of every hit all the time. She plays with pads a lot, but I can't explain properly unless you've heard us. Suffice it to say the drum hits aren't the problem.

What I'm gathering now is that I need a better amplifier. I know very little about vocal/PA amps and the like, so what exactly are they called, and what are some good ones out there? I've heard of pre-amps for vocals, but is this not what I need?
tell him to eat the mic, and bass can be louder than guitar sometimes, think carry on my wayward son
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Also, work on experimenting with where you put the PA speakers, that way you can turn it up louder before it feeds back.
Can't s/he just sing louder? It's not that hard to increase singing volume and maintain the same tone.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

We raise the Vibratory so high
That all untruth will fall of its own dead weight
Quote by incarnation
Can't s/he just sing louder? It's not that hard to increase singing volume and maintain the same tone.

Like I said earlier, she's ripping her throat out now. After around 20 songs she can't get the higer notes because she's starting to get hoarse. And that's not a healthy practice anyway.

I may have found something though. It's a powered mixer, with 220watts I think it said. I can't remember the brand, but would something like that give me good volume?
*Reported*
There's a forum for vocals.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
1. Tell your vocalist to project. Having a microphone in front of your facehole is not an excuse to sing softly all the time.
2. Tell him to hold it closer. This does wonders for volume.
3. Turn that shit down. Have the drummer play softer, lower your volume and have the bassist do the same.
4. New PA.
5. BOrrow the venue's PA.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 71-73
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 1-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 10-5