Page 1 of 2
As some of the regulars here know, I've been working on my own version of a tremolo. I have all the research i need done, and it's time to start the drawing and proto process. So i ask, GB&C, what features,abilities, etc, do you look for in a tremolo unit?
Elaborate as much or as little as you please.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
I assume you mean a vibrato bridge and tailpiece. Make it so it has a built-in tremol-no pretty much; dive-only and hardtail settings. Staying in tune in general is nice lol I've used a linear trem before, was nice. It just mounted on the surface so you didn't lose a bunch of wood and the strings stayed the same height as it traveled. It also stayed in tune really well because the whole bridge assembly moved with the strings. Called a Stetsbar. Idk why I don't own any trem guitars...make me want one bad enough and I'll buy yours :p
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
I like a tremelo to look good. Floyd's look good if you like the heavy metal crap, but I personally hate the way it looks. A subdued look is important. Staying in tune is a no-brainer. I love how the bigsby adds mass and has a good solid mount, it actually adds a tonal change (I think a little better sustain, a bit fuller sound). Plus, bigsbies, IMHO, look just AWESOME.

Wait tremelo, are we talkin' pedals here? Can't help there. I like real rotating speakers, real leslies and such.
Last edited by LeviMan_2001 at Jun 30, 2010,
Quote by LeviMan_2001
I like a tremelo to look good. Floyd's look good if you like the heavy metal crap, but I personally hate the way it looks. A subdued look is important. Staying in tune is a no-brainer. I love how the bigsby adds mass and has a good solid mount, it actually adds a tonal change (I think a little better sustain, a bit fuller sound). Plus, bigsbies, IMHO, look just AWESOME.

+1

No ugly shit.
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
Were talking floyd's, bigsby's, fender trem's, etc.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
christ. tremolo, vibrato. nobody cares about the semantics so shut it.

as for design, i think a bigsby-like range (but a little more extended) is more important than being able to dive. if you want to divebomb, get a floyd ffs.

basically im saying have the range of a strat trem with the smoothness and pull-up ability of a bigsby.

bigsby's are ugly as shit imho so smt traditional and universal like a strat trem is important as well.

idk now im just rambling.
I would ****ing love to have a trem being fully capable of doing what a floyd does, with the looks of a bigsby. I would freaking love a trem like that. I would get one and put it on EVERYTHING and tell my friends to put them on everything.
Easy to retune, stays in tune, large range, easy enough to push/pull without trouble, but firm enough to stay put during songs (I anchor), and quick string changes.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Well everyone is going on about the bigsbys, but if you are going to go for a floyd rose style, I would take some notes from the Ibanez ZR bridge. Those Japanese had a damn good idea with he 'zero point system', it is really smart. To me, tuning stability is the biggest thing.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
See: Trem King.

That's it for me really. Wide range, best tuning stability, looks great. :/
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
^ have you ever used one?

There not as good as they seem.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Last edited by metalwarrior40 at Jul 1, 2010,
My ideal tremolo, would be the exact same as a floyd rose, but it would not go out of tune when tuned down.
Whenever I tune doewn me E to a D, everything tunes down withit, making it a huge hassle.
..I was watching my death.
I know on steinberger trems, you can use it to bend chords and they stay in tune relative to each other, which is super useful. The ability to tune/drop tune the low string quickly and easily is important. Smoothness and a good range.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

what i say is a floyd rose systerm but what you need to do is make a readily accesible way to alter the string tension in the back of the floyd for changing tunings without entire setups

i say make some sort of hotshot tremolo spring with a variable tension (have a whole set ((2-5springs based on prefernce)) being adjusted at once/or seperately

maybe have it driven by a small elec motor seperate of guitar electronics with its control
near the main pots and such (give it some sort of precaution to prevent accidental adjustment)

or instead of the of the motor have a tesioner/relief like a chainsaw has to tighten/loosen its chain

diving and raising.
fine tuning at bridge (not locking unless it happens to help the guitar stay in tune during tremolo wankery)
PLEASE HAVE 7 STRING VERSION (and other ERG)
that is one of the most wanted and hated aspects of many guitar hardware,
exteneded range isnt readily availible as much which is now becoming apparent as more and more bands and genres use ERGs
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
I would like to thank you guys for the input so far, it really is helping. I have decided to split this into two models thus far, but no more details will be said just yet

Keep it coming!
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
I like my Edge Zero. If it stays in tune through severe abuse, then it's good.
I guess you could have better control over the adjusting of the saddles (height, intonation without shimming/loosening), but the way FR does it makes more sense really as it's not very often you ever need to do that.
it needs to look incredibly classy for my to want to use,

i really like the look of a bigsby, but without the black section in the middle, so mroe like this bigsby

more streamlined and classy.

tremelo units that can retro fit guitars without being invasive are cool, but so far they have all be clunky and ugly.

finding a way to make it easy to string, easy to tune without having to play with the spring tension for an hour would be great.

im kinda in shotgun mode just spitting out random ideas. but deal with it.

for a bigsby style, the abilty to move the place where the strings connect towards or awaqy from the bridge wold proove quite usefull on different sized guitars. aswell as where the strings break over that roller bar.

a tremelo arm that can be adjusted to either spin freely, spin and then stay in place, or stay in place all the time would be good,

easily removable/attatchable arm (even on bigsby style)
Jason, on your last part, the second last one,
The Original Floyds do that. They can either stay in place, with some careful positioning, and if you hit im a little harder, BAM! Down it goes. Well not really BAM!, but you get my point. It could just be because mine is brand new though.

Why does it have to be 9:00 AM? I want to play my guitar
I'm perfectly fine with rambling
Ideas are ideas, and this thread has aided me so far.
I will say this- one of the models will have the range of a floyd, but will require absolutely no routing. It might still need a locking nut, but i'm working on a way around that.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Quote by metalwarrior40
I'm perfectly fine with rambling
Ideas are ideas, and this thread has aided me so far.
I will say this- one of the models will have the range of a floyd, but will require absolutely no routing. It might still need a locking nut, but i'm working on a way around that.

How will it go up?
Also, about the nut, maybe you could make some sort of pressure system robot, or something, which detects when the tuning pegs are being turned, so it releases pressure on the nut.
If the tremolos that you're making go up for sale in a year or two, I'll surely buy one. It seems you're onto something good here.
"Bobby Tremolos"
I can see that working
Me and and the other guy helping with the project have already come up with several plausible ways to counter act the needed tension, and not be so bulky as to look like a hunk of metal.

Goal is to have working proto's within a year or so.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Quote by metalwarrior40
^ have you ever used one?

There not as good as they seem.

Yes, he has one. So do I.

What do you find to be a problem with them?
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
I like my tremolos to keep in tune, be miminum maintinence, work smothly with a firm response, and to be made of blue galvanized steel.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I just realized, I've pretty much never played a guitar with a good tremolo, never a floyd, or even a floyd knockoff, only strat knockoff trems...

But I'd imagine, good tuning stability, excellent range, preferably a way to lock into hardtail so that it can't be bumped out of tune, or at least one that is easier to change tunings on without it going all funky.

EDIT: and make it easy to string, so that you can keep the ball ends on your strings, and if it does need routing, be sure to include full installation instructions, as in my guitar I'm building I'm putting in a floyd, but that is all I got, no idea on routing pockets, or setup, just the parts.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Last edited by MonkeyLink07 at Jul 2, 2010,
Quote by Skeet UK
Yes, he has one. So do I.

What do you find to be a problem with them?

I dont own one, so i can comment on if this is true or not but:
Upon doing research on the thing, i found a forum in which multiple users were complaining that it constantly broke strings, and there was another problem or two that i cant seem to remember. This was a long time ago (6+ months) so i have no idea if it has been fixed or not, or if it was even a real issue.

I also personally find a problem with the spring system used in other tremolos, such as the fender one, floyd, etc. Trem king did do a better job with it, but again, i dont think it's the best design approach to this.

Just my opinion of course.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Quote by metalwarrior40
I dont own one, so i can comment on if this is true or not but:
Upon doing research on the thing, i found a forum in which multiple users were complaining that it constantly broke strings, and there was another problem or two that i cant seem to remember. This was a long time ago (6+ months) so i have no idea if it has been fixed or not, or if it was even a real issue.

I also personally find a problem with the spring system used in other tremolos, such as the fender one, floyd, etc. Trem king did do a better job with it, but again, i dont think it's the best design approach to this.

Just my opinion of course.

Not sure about string breakages. In all honestly, I don't play my electric much, but it has had a thrashing since the TremKing went in and no breakages.

It does come with Graphtec inserts in the saddles now, so maybe it was teh first batch or so that caused breakages?

It prefers 10's over 9's. I used 9's and had some problems with returning to zero, balance really, but 10's was cool. Might have needed more time with the 9's.

However, everything else it does well. It cures all of the problems associated with regular Trems. I'm sure you have looked at what they are. The only downside, is it cant go quite to the extremes of an FR, but I think the Pro's, far out weigh the cons.

I think your Trem, should incorporate the selling points of the Trem King, as these are the major issues that Trem users have.

Spring issues eh? Gonna try Bevelles then?
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Jul 2, 2010,
Quote by Deadlock Riff
all of the people in here whos info you had used you should include by the way

What do you mean? Suggestions by the users? Or are you asking me about what i've researched?

And thanks skeet. I'm sure after the complaints, they started using those graphtech inserts.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
I'd say that I always want something that can go up or down, I find dive-only trems to be almost kinda worthless. I do agree with the Bigsby comments, being that they aren't knife edge trems they still transmit vibrations to the body well, which I like. Again, something with tuning stability is a must, and easy to restring is a good idea too. I also think that if you do something more Fender/Floyd style with the block inside the guitar, a big block is necessary, and I also like the other person's idea of a built in Tremol-no. I think that would be pretty bitchin, a trem that you can do whatever crazy shit you want to do but then flip a lever or something and effectively have a hard tail would be sweet.

Maybe I missed this, but how are you going to get the parts machined?
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
I've got a couple different designs going atm, 2 are for sure going to happen.
One is stylish like the bigsby, but has the range of a fender trem, possibly more.
The other is my full on tremolo, that i'm not going to reveal design wise for a while.

I am able to do a little of the machining, and i have access to any other tool i need.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Well I came in here with lots of ideas about tremelo effects pedals, but I can add a cent or two on guitar tremelo's. For a locking nut, it would be cool if you had some kind of lever and cam system to apply tension instead of allen keys.

(Inspiration provided by this capo)

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shubb-Original-CSeries-Steel-String-Guitar-Capo?sku=361503

Does that make sense without a sketch?

The locking nut seems to be one of the last unimproved aspects of the basic floyd design, and it would be nice to lock and unlock with one motion instead of multiple turns of an allen key, which makes onstage tuning near impossible.
Yup. I get exactly what your saying. Thanks for the idea. That's one of the things i've still been playing with, i dont want to use a traditional floyd nut.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
I love my Bigsby, it's great for vibratos and small bends, but I hate it's limited range. So I suppose I would want something similar to a Bigsby that had a larger range and stayed in tune. Pretty much everything else in this thread sounds good lol.
something that locks in place is a must. I prefer the understated looks of a fender trem, but I think if you could do something based off of a wraparound bridge design that would be cool as hell. like a two point floating trm raised off the body like a tune-o-matic.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Yay! You're finally doing this! Can't wait.
Besides what I've read on wahts already been said, I think a blocking ability would be super cool. Since pretty much every player won't use a trem on EVERY song. Having a simple way to block/unblock the system could be super useful.

As well as adjustability of the tension, kinda like on strats and whatnot, where you can change how much force you have to put on the bar. One thing that I found kinda limiting about bigsbys and the like.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
So, i guess i should give you some kind of hints as to what it will be capable of.
*adjustable tension
*adjustable arm tension
*Hardtail conversion
*Full range (same or more then a floyd)
*NO ROUTING. PERIOD (though a retrofit for trem guitars will be worked out)
*special nut (again, not needing any routing/drilling done)
*No springs for tremolo action. Which means you dont have to sit there and contemplate whether you should be using 3 springs, or 4,etc.

There's another really huge feature i've been working on implementing, but i still cant get it completely worked out. I'll leave it at that.

Keep the feedback coming.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Quote by metalwarrior40
So, i guess i should give you some kind of hints as to what it will be capable of.
*adjustable tension
*adjustable arm tension
*Hardtail conversion
*Full range (same or more then a floyd)
*NO ROUTING. PERIOD (though a retrofit for trem guitars will be worked out)
*special nut (again, not needing any routing/drilling done)
*No springs for tremolo action. Which means you dont have to sit there and contemplate whether you should be using 3 springs, or 4,etc.

There's another really huge feature i've been working on implementing, but i still cant get it completely worked out. I'll leave it at that.

Keep the feedback coming.

wow, if you can accomplish that then I think you'll put all the other trems out of business within a year.

I'LL TAKE 8!
Page 1 of 2