Seriously how many god damn "New Metal Guitar?" threads are started here each day? For the love of god what the hell does metal guitar even mean? Just about any damn guitar can play metal. The answer to this question once and for all is get rid of your MG50 or Spider and get a real amp!!! Then you can play metal on any $50 piece of shit you can find. Sorry for the rant
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Quote by yellowv
Just about any damn guitar can play metal.

Let's be honest, which of these guitars would sound better playing metal?

Quote by pwrmax

Really? What makes one better then the other? Seriously, the answer is obviously this one.

Every guitar can play metal. Metal was invented on slightly hotter then vintage spec pickups through mid-gain amps by todays standards. If you can't get metal out of your rig you're doing something wrong. You've already got more then what evh and randy rhodes started with.

that's a hollowbody spruce with a set of warpigs that gets run into a slo. it'll out metal anything.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Jun 30, 2010,

/87df7863c3b632c2a46db0450887da03.jpg

If you had Crushing overdrive you could.
You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
Quote by AcousticMirror

Every guitar can play metal. Metal was invented on slightly hotter then vintage spec pickups through mid-gain amps by todays standards. If you can't get metal out of your rig you're doing something wrong. You've already got more then what evh and randy rhodes started with.

True, but you're basically saying that all guitars are equal in every genre. Yeah, I can crank the gain and play metal on my Gretsch, but there's no way in hell that it's a good guitar for that genre. Though the thought of some EMG's in a Gretsch... Man, that'd piss some people off

There's nothing wrong with threads asking for good guitars for metal. It's no different than asking advice on a good blues guitar. Every guitar is capable of playing any genre, but they're not all equal in their ability to play a specific genre.
Quote by irishstang_87
True, but you're basically saying that all guitars are equal in every genre. Yeah, I can crank the gain and play metal on my Gretsch, but there's no way in hell that it's a good guitar for that genre. Though the thought of some EMG's in a Gretsch... Man, that'd piss some people off

There's nothing wrong with threads asking for good guitars for metal. It's no different than asking advice on a good blues guitar. Every guitar is capable of playing any genre, but they're not all equal in their ability to play a specific genre.

that doesn't make any sense at all. you'd have to do things to a full hollowbody guitar running hot pickups. Maybe superglue.

But a good guitar for metal from one to person to another has nothing to do with pickups, body style, wood, brand or any of that.

Pickups can be changed, bodywoods can be compensated for. If you want a floyd make sure it has a floyd.

The only thing that matters really is, the neck shape, the fretboard radius, the scale length, the body routes. Even there it just matters what's the most comfortable for a particular player.
My point was simply that this question gets asked at least 5 times a day and in most cases the people asking already have a guitar capable of playing metal, but are using a junk amp.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Quote by AcousticMirror
that doesn't make any sense at all. you'd have to do things to a full hollowbody guitar running hot pickups. Maybe superglue.

But a good guitar for metal from one to person to another has nothing to do with pickups, body style, wood, brand or any of that.

Pickups can be changed, bodywoods can be compensated for. If you want a floyd make sure it has a floyd.

The only thing that matters really is, the neck shape, the fretboard radius, the scale length, the body routes. Even there it just matters what's the most comfortable for a particular player.

The neck is far from the only thing that matters. Maybe I'm reading into this wrong, but you're saying that since a guitar's deficiencies can be compensated for, it's wrong to ask what a good guitar for a genre would be? That makes no sense. You're right in saying that the definition of a good guitar varies from person to person, I'm not arguing that at all. However, the rest of what you're saying doesn't add up. Certain woods will give you a certain tone, as will pickups and body styles. Why not start out with a guitar that works for the genre that you want to play, instead of trying to fight the guitar to get the tone that you want?
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
dude. pointless thread. this is dumber than the metal guitar threads.

At least this thread doesn't get started 5 times a day
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
no, but its just as bad there are 2 threads with totally different titles, and theres not metal guitar threads 5 times a day. we have 2 real metal guitar related threads. they were made about 2 days apart.
Any guitar can play metal, but some are more "metal" than others and that where we get the whole "metal guitar" term.
Quote by pwrmax
Any guitar can play metal, but some are more "metal" than others and that where we get the whole "metal guitar" term.

mostly they are guitars with weird body shapes that can kill people

I dont get the point of the whole "metal guitar" thing,they just ignore some great brands like ibanez,washburn etc. etc. because they dont look Br00tz and doesnt have EMG's..
i started a "new metal guitar" thread because i needed some help because i don't really know that much about guitars and i don't wanna buy something that just looks cool. you know you don't have to look at every thread on here right? and there really aren't many on the forum, so suck it up
how about you just don't open those threads? and IF you're concerned about them taking up space on the first page then you shouldn't have posted this, because (1)other people are going to post more "metal guitar" threads anyway and (2) this thread takes up space too. if you really wanted to help stop those kinds threads, then you should've made a more detailed post explaining your opinion, maybe it'll be really helpful and a mod sees it and sticks it.

pointless thread is pointless

/rant
Last edited by Sik9 at Jun 30, 2010,
Quote by Sik9
how about you just don't open those threads? and IF you're concerned about them taking up space on the first page then you shouldn't have posted this, because (1)other people are going to post more "metal guitar" threads anyway and (2) this thread takes up space too. if you really wanted to help stop those kinds threads, then you should've made a more detailed post explaining your opinion, maybe it'll be really helpful and a mod sees it and sticks it.

pointless thread is pointless

/rant

it makes perfect sense since the whole question of which guitar is best for metal is stupid, pointless, and has no answer.
Quote by archenemyfan
mostly they are guitars with weird body shapes that can kill people

An ESP Explorer with smoothed edges and a Hello Kitty paintjob is still a metal guitar, just gets a better metal sound. I guess there's a difference between a guitar looking metal and sounding metal.
Quote by pwrmax
An ESP Explorer with smoothed edges and a Hello Kitty paintjob is still a metal guitar, just gets a better metal sound. I guess there's a difference between a guitar looking metal and sounding metal.

yeah,I get it,what I said was,that is the reason why most people (in this forum) call a guitar,a metal guitar
Quote by AcousticMirror
it makes perfect sense since the whole question of which guitar is best for metal is stupid, pointless, and has no answer.

TS rants about it and doesn't try to explain..

Also
Quote by lilwill322
suck it up

that