hi everyone
i want to buy a tube amp and started searching for one. after all those models, i'v decided to buy the marshall 1987X , best amp i have ever heard.

so the sound is great, but i actually don't know a lot about tube amps. what should i know about valve amps? how valves affect on the sound and what is the difference between types of valves (EL84, EL34, KT88 etc) ? how should i use it and handle it? how reliable are they? etc etc...

as you can see i dont know a thing about them. help?
thanks
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Nietzsche
Swapping output valves is not always as simple as plugging a new one in. What is in it at the moment? Those came in both 5881 and EL34 varieties.

The power valves last a year or two depending on how often/hard you play. Preamp tubes last twice that at least. Don't chuck it around but it is pretty solid.
Most important thing - don't turn it on without a speaker connected
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i meant i wanted more info about tube amps in general :
how they work
how should i treat it
how does the tubes affect the sound
and so on

idk nothing about valve amps !
Nietzsche
Man that's a mouthful. Do you mean how a tube actually amplifies?
Different tubes do sound different but you didn't answer my question - what is in it now? Read what's written on the big valves.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Im sorry , my english isn't any good. First of all i must have explain myself carelessly- I haven't bought the 1987x yet, I am planning on buying it in ther near future.
Second of all, sorry for the rude response, I tried to explain myself a little better.

I want to buy this marshall , and i would like to know how should I use it in order to maintain it.
Nietzsche
It is a fine amp and you'll enjoy it. Nothing much to know except what I said in my first post.

"The power valves last a year or two depending on how often/hard you play. Preamp tubes last twice that at least. Don't chuck it around but it is pretty solid.
Most important thing - don't turn it on without a speaker connected."

Also, turn it on while it's in Standby mode, give it a minute to warm up, then switch it out of standby. To turn it off, just flick the power off. Using standby during short breaks is not wise really, better to just turn the volume down to zero.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
make sure you know what you're getting into buying an amp like that.

a 1987x is going to need the right cabinet to sound its best. Also, don't expect to plug right into it and sound like Page or Hendrix. Its not going to happen without turning the amp loud. Its not an amp that you rock out to in the bedroom. Its a stage amp. If you are just playing in your bedroom all you're going to get is a very loud, very bright, clean sound. If you've tried it and you're ok with how it sounds and responds then go for it, like Cathbard said, it's a great amp, but know in advance that it doesn't have a master volume and the only way to get that Marshall crunch is to turn it up. Its not like a peavey or something where you can just turn the gain up and keep the volume down. a lot of people don't realize this and buy amps like plexis because they're associated with the likes of Page, Clapton, Hendrix, etc. without ever trying them out first and then are sorely disappointed when they plug into them for the first time.

unless you are playing large outdoor gigs, you'll need to either have the amp modded for a master volume, use an overdrive pedal for dirt, or use an attenuator. The 1987 is a finicky amp. The volume is basically an on/off switch, it's reasonable at 1 but then at 2, it's basically at full volume, and it stays clean until you hit 4-5 on the volume and you won't get into that Zeppelin, Hendrix territory until you reach 7-8 on the volume.
Last edited by al112987 at Jun 30, 2010,
it's a good amp, and it's tube, make sure to have a cabinet attached. it should work fine for guitar.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam