so im looking at cheap, quality tube amps, as i am looking to play rhythm guitar in a punk band that im starting up. will this amp cut it? i probably get a tubescreamer or something similar in front of it if the gain isnt enough. im aware that its a brittish voiced amp, and thats what i want. i was also looking at the valveking. ill be buying used too. also, is the windsor cab decient, or should i get a different cab.
thanks all
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
Well, the windsor is a jcm800 clone, and JCMs do great tones for punk, so i don't see why the windsor wouldn't work.

The guitarist for a band i saw (they weren't really punk, but punk influenced) basically got by with his overdrive and the amp.
Last edited by Mack56 at Jun 30, 2010,
Quote by Mack56
Well, the windsor is a jcm800 clone, and JCMs do great tones for punk, so i don't see why the windsor wouldn't work.

The guitarist for a band i saw (they weren't really punk, but punk influenced) basically got by with his overdrive and the amp.

I always thought they were more of a Plexi clone
Quote by AxSilentxLine
I always thought they were more of a Plexi clone

i heard that they were def a single channel jcm 800
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
Doesn't matter, turn the sucka up and bada bing bada boom - punk!
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
will it have enough gain though?
i should also mention that my main guitar is a tele, but i also use an esp ex 401
Quote by BobDetroit
What kind of punk are you going for? Is it like a modern heavy punk or old school punk thhat just had a bit of crunch and a telecaster? Either way it'll probably do it fine, just don't max out that gain knob if you're going for a old school punk sound, obviously.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
im hoestly going for more of a pop punkish sound, a little grungy too i guess. stuff like the offspring.
Quote by BobDetroit
ya it'll have enough gain
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
would the valveking do a better job?
Quote by BobDetroit
my budget is a quality tube amp for as cheap as i can get. i can pick up a windsor for like 200 bucks off ebay and that was my plan. same with the valvekings
Quote by BobDetroit
I use a Valveking in my punk band.
It was fine when we started out, then we got another guitarist who plays through a dual rec, so cutting through became a problem for a while, but with some tweaking I think I'm holding my own against him now
any other opinions?
Quote by BobDetroit
I think it's a great amp for rock, unless you're talking more metal tones. Then again it's not the best sounding amp, but it'll do just fine.

For punk, if you're talking about proper 70's and 80's punk, absolutly any amplifier that goes loud and distorted will do
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
I personally think the Windsor head is perfect for what you need. Like forsaknazrael said it doesn't have much clean headroom/capability and the Traynors are better but for $150 it is a lot of amp for your money. There are also mods that can be done to it. They were selling new for $200 so it should be more like $150

The Windsor cab (and Valveking cab) is poo, so find something else - like a decent 2x12 or a used Marshall 1960b.
i was planing on getting an avatar 2x12 cab used off ebay. those go for pretty cheap too
Quote by BobDetroit
what kind of speakers should i keep an eye out for? im new to cabs
Quote by BobDetroit
See if you can find one with their Hellatone 60s. They are rebranded Celestion Vintage 30s that are already broken in. That is what I would do if i could do it over. Will need at least 100 watts worth of speakers so keep that in mind.

Vintage 30s are 60 watts. 60 x 2 is 120 watts. Perfect.
whats the difference between broken in sprakers or not?
Quote by BobDetroit
when they say broken in, that means that someone has played through it enough to get it worn in? shouldnt buying any cab with vintage 30's thats used be worn in?
Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by primusclaypool1
when they say broken in, that means that someone has played through it enough to get it worn in? shouldnt buying any cab with vintage 30's thats used be worn in?

well yes - as long as they are worn in and not worn out.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
are there any better alternitives to the windsor?
Quote by BobDetroit