well i've been playing for about 8 or 9 months and i can play surprisingly well for how short of time I've been playing. The only problem is i either have to be shown how to play something or look up the tabs and I feel like I'm crippled by this because if theres not a tab then i really can't play it, is this bad? and if so how should I learn to play by ear?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
Learning music theory will eliminate most of the confusion you are experiencing. The basics to learn would be:
1. Notes of the fretboard
2. Intervals (being able to find octaves is imperative)
3. Scale construction (major scale first)
4. Chord construction (specifically diatonic chords of the major scale)

Following that order would be most effective.

musictheory.net has very good lessons.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
you'll get there eventually.
I was chained to tabs for a long time.
I remember when I first started to learn by ear I would pause the first note in a song and I would slide my finger up the fretboard on a string until I heard the same note I was trying to reproduce. After a short while you'll get used to it and be able to hit the note without sliding to find it.
If you have a guitar buddy there is a little game you could play.
stand back to back with your guitars and take turns playing little licks or chords for the other one to reproduce.
alright thanks for the help especially at 5 in the morning, i've learned the scales, intervals and the notes already, i didn't really think of chord construction though, i think its more of i used to be a drummer and its just that its made me like tone deaf or something haha
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
Last edited by grungebaby at Jun 30, 2010,
I personally think you haven't been playing long enough to worry about figuring stuff out by ear. Learn technique a bit more and become more comfortable before you worry about that. And the tabs are okay to use, I've been playing for almost 4 years and I still use tabs. My opinion is that you should try to figure out something by ear first and then if you can't, use the tab. Or use the tab to double check it after even if you think you're right.
Be careful with tabs, they can stuck you in the dark when they don't have rhythm value. Learn what is a quaver, semi quaver, a black triplet... how to do them and to reproduce them... Guitar pro's one are better cause they got rhythm value.
By the way, you must know where all your notes are(G G# C#...) and how to read them all on G key with rhythm, then train yourself to ear a note and to know what she was !
Then you will be able to reproduce a melody by brain and to take your guitar and instantly reproduce her. That's really very long so be patient and work hard with consciousness and a great focusing capacity.

Seriously, whe are in 2010, a total feeling guitar player don't have his place anymore, 70's are over so wake up.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...
Last edited by Venusio G. at Jun 30, 2010,
Quote by Venusio G.
Seriously, whe are in 2010, a total feeling guitar player don't have his place anymore, 70's are over so wake up.

I didn't understand that..
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
I didn't understand that..

Yes the expression "total feeling guitar player" is not really Suggestive, what I meant :
Some players only play by ear without learning anything about Music Theory with contempt, denial... some rare exception may live and win enough money today but they can't go far anymore. Music Theory is very useful for inspiration and understanding and is Sine Qua Non if you want to compose something valuable for 2010 advanced guitar player, that's really useful even if you play in a simple but beautiful POP band.

So if you want to tab something properly, take time to learn a lot of Music Theory, music dictation, rhythm dictation, tonality, modality, modulation.... and that will be really useful for you brain dictation !! your composition will be really better and more inventive...
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...
Quote by Venusio G.
Yes the expression "total feeling guitar player" is not really Suggestive, what I meant :
Some players only play by ear without learning anything about Music Theory with contempt, denial... some rare exception may live and win enough money today but they can't go far anymore. Music Theory is very useful for inspiration and understanding and is Sine Qua Non if you want to compose something valuable for 2010 advanced guitar player, that's really useful even if you play in a simple but beautiful POP band.

So if you want to tab something properly, take time to learn a lot of Music Theory, music dictation, rhythm dictation, tonality, modality, modulation.... and that will be really useful for you brain dictation !! your composition will be really better and more inventive...

absolutely. +1.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by Venusio G.

Ah, thanks. I see. I totally agree on that though, just the first time I didn;t really get it
I do not want to have a signature anymore.