so.....
what do you guys think about the epiphone lp / sg gx(with the gibson dirty fingers pickups)?
Eh they're not really my thing. Epiphone electronics tend to be pretty second rate. Cheap components really, suck the tone out and the pickup selector will inevitably die within 9 months. But replacing (or removing altogether) those components ain't too pricey and helps tone a lot. The Dirty Fingers pickup is a nice bit of gear, but beware the top end on it, it's vicious.

All of that said, I've got a (heavily modified) Epi Les Paul Custom which I've been slamming away on for years now and I've never had a build quality issue. So at the very least you know it won't fall to bits on you and as I've said, you can replace substandard parts and still come in well under the cost of a gibson and get a tone that's a bit more individual as well.

So yeah, could be a good buy, if you're willing to put in the work to fix up the inherent problems.
what are the parts that should be replaced?
pots and pickups selector?
and the input jack?
Yeah pretty much. On my LP I removed the tone controls completely, replaced the volume pots with gibson ones and the selector with a gibson selector. Also installed a killswitch of my own design.

Some of the hardware is a bit sketchy too, but not urgent to replace, I put new tuners on and had the nut filed, but that's just me being a bit pedantic because it gets such heavy live use.

You'll notice the little things in the finish and setup aren't quite as nice as gibsons, paint job not quite as nice and the odd rough edge here and there. But if you're not too fussed about that sort of thing then a decent setup will at least allow it to play like a gibson, even if it doesn't look like one.
it has grovers
and the nut filing is included in the place i will get it set up
I prefer the EX with EMG's, FOR TEH BR00TALZ. Not really a fan of Dirty fingers.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
what do you think about the guitar not the pickups....
and i need a versatile one so i prefer the fingers. with coil tap.
i never liked the necks on them. The satin finish never felt fast like it was "supposed" to, but rather sticky. plus, the LP with 24 frets is useless, they didnt do anything different to the neck joint so its still impossible to even hit the 22nd fret
NOPE
1. is my silence treatment over? =]
2. they noticed it and changed it, moving the neck out
This is a forum, Not an IM chat room. You're allowed to wait longer than 4 hours for a response believe it or not...

Now, that said, If you're looking for a fair mount of versatility I'd say the dirty fingers will do ya. I'd go about replacing the majority of the parts ASAP though.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Jun 30, 2010,
in this forum after 4 hours this thread would be on the 4th page =]
the parts you would change would be pots+switch+inputjack?
(tuners are grovers)
Mine in guitar gear and accesories was finally allowed to slip into the second page and I made it early yesterday morning...

Definitely pots and switch. I'd let the input jack sit until it started getting wobbly but that's just me. Tuners are fine, pups are fine.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

what is wrong with the stock pots and switch?
do they affect the tone?
(assuming that both stock and replacement are.... lets say 500K)
You buy a new guitar so you don't need to replace anything on it.

Basically, if it's not broke, don't fix it. If the pots are fine, don't replace them.

Go out and try the guitar.
Indeed, it's silly to be planning modifications before you've even played the guitar. Go try one out, that is the only way you'll know if it suits you and if anything needs to be changed.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
dude get the EX model, its so awesome, when i went to get one i was originally after the GX model (mainly because it looked awesome) but i walked out of the shop with the EX instead. its so much better, mine was the display model and its still the best guitar i own =)
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
EMG's aren't for high gain metal only.

Why don't you play both the EX and the GX, and see which one, if either one, are right for you?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
well, emg 81+85 is a metal pickup combo isnt it?
and oing to play a tony iommi sg to see if i like the neck, imagine it without the glue-finish on its back, see if i like it, then take a les paul, see if i like the shape, then if i like both im going to check other guitars, and if i dont like them im going to order it from the web
and i need the guitar to do anything, jazz blues rock metal and anything you can think of.
so passive humbuckers with coil tap is a pretty good idea if you ask me.
and i read good reviews on HC about these pickups...
Most people who use EMG's use them for metal, but that's not what they were originally intended for, and that's not the only thing they're good for.

I mean, David Gilmour uses EMG's, and the last time I checked, Pink Floyd isn't metal.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by philipk
im not getting one with emg's, i dont play high gain metal only...

neither do i... and that comment seems to surgests that you are taking a very narrow minded aproach to buying a new guitar.
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
I had an SG GX for a couple days, and returned it. There was pretty significant neck-dive, which was my biggest issue with it. I remember the hardware and construction seemed good, and I actually liked the satin neck. Just my opinion, but it didn't look as cool in person as I thought it would. Also, the fingerboard stain was coming off on my fingers (turning them black). I don't know if that would stop after a while or not, but not a good sign IMO.

If you're thinking SG shape, I'd definitely try one first. For me, the neck dive was too big of a hurdle for how expensive the guitar was. You might not be as bothered by it as I was...
Last edited by Oppenheimer at Jul 1, 2010,
so you guys are saying emg's can do jazz/blues?
anyways i was just at the local shop and tried a tony iommi sg and it was pretty cool
tried an epiphone lp plus or something like that, the best Epiphone lp that they had and it sucked(sound-wise), it felt good
also tried an ibanez szr520 and it was also very nice