hi, i was wondering if anyone could help me with the problem a lot of people have?
"sounding good/cutting through a mix of instruments(live)"
what EQ settings are good?
why do my "awesome(when i'm playing at home)" sounds on the digitech rp250 sound like shit at band rehearsals, and why do my "shit" sounds sound much better?
anything else you recommend?
thanks in advance
MY GEAR:
Digitech RP250
Stagg Acoustic
Ibanez RGA32 (EMG 81/85)
amp doesn't matter :P
Could it be different acoustics? (Assuming you don't have band prac at your place).

Buh :S
Your light bulb knows everything you do in your room.
Quote by denied
Sounds like you need to up your mids. It'll help you cut through the mix

yep, my mids are pretty high....
also my bass is very high although i turned it down both on the processor and the amp(that doesn't happen if i go just through the amp)
i've found the presence knob helpful, but not all amps have it...

Quote by reaper_x
Could it be different acoustics? (Assuming you don't have band prac at your place).

Buh :S

nah, we have rehearsals at some studio...
MY GEAR:
Digitech RP250
Stagg Acoustic
Ibanez RGA32 (EMG 81/85)
start with your bedroom tone, then turn it up. then experiment with your bandmates, changing the mids
Quote by neopowell
That would be amazing. "I WILL BURN EVERYTHING!" *Garrigan appears with bucket* "Fuck this for a giggle, I'm outta here..."

Blog?
follow me
Quote by denied
What is your gear setup like?
Are you micced during gigs?
Have you balanced volume across the board?

Go easy on the bass, you don't want to end up with a muddy and undefined tone

we change gear from studio to studio... (that's the situation in my country...)
gigs are fine(i guess?), we get micced, what worries me is the sound of rehearsals...
no idea about the volume, i guess we do have it balanced
i will lower my bass
MY GEAR:
Digitech RP250
Stagg Acoustic
Ibanez RGA32 (EMG 81/85)
Quote by denied
oh. I get it.

Your plugging a processor into all kinds of different amps and then wondering why it sounds different??

nope. it sounds the same... too much bass, low mid unless i take the bass down to -12 and krank the mid to +12...
MY GEAR:
Digitech RP250
Stagg Acoustic
Ibanez RGA32 (EMG 81/85)
Quote by denied
????????????

omg.
some of my patches sound awesome when playing home on my little shit amp (fender frontman 15g) alone, with no other instruments, but they sound awful(well, they aren't cutting through) when playing with the whole band. get it now?
MY GEAR:
Digitech RP250
Stagg Acoustic
Ibanez RGA32 (EMG 81/85)
Quote by IYanoplathizoI

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha that made my day xD (don't quite know why)
MY GEAR:
Digitech RP250
Stagg Acoustic
Ibanez RGA32 (EMG 81/85)
If you want to rule out acoustics take your little Frontman with you and just see what it sounds like in that room.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Nesha Strah
omg.
some of my patches sound awesome when playing home on my little shit amp (fender frontman 15g) alone, with no other instruments, but they sound awful(well, they aren't cutting through) when playing with the whole band. get it now?

Don't get snappy. You said "it sounds the same." If you can't give a consistent account of your problem, no one can help you.

You're talking about two different things. If they suddenly sound awful cranked in the studio (I'm assuming your not using the FM there), it's most likely because you are running through a totally different amp. It can also be the internal room acoustics. Are you using Solid state studio amps? They don't sound quite as good cranked.

If the issue is the sound is fine but simply not cutting through, it's really either an issue of volume or mids. Your projection is obviously going to be altered when in a band setting, as you don't get to hog frequencies.
Quote by Cathbard
If you want to rule out acoustics take your little Frontman with you and just see what it sounds like in that room.

i'm certain that the acoustics are good (+ the fender shitman sounds like shit with volume above 3 )
the main thing i'm looking for are EQ settings, 'cause the studio amp cuts through on its own, but doesn't sound as sexy as with the processor, with which the amp is a bit too bassy and doesn't cut through as much

btw. i can try tweaking the EQ on the spot, but it may take too much of the rehearsal, and rehearsals last 2 hours...

Quote by denied

If the issue is the sound is fine but simply not cutting through, it's really either an issue of volume or mids. Your projection is obviously going to be altered when in a band setting, as you don't get to hog frequencies.

and that's what i'm asking for in this thread: what EQ settings sound best in a mix of instruments?

Quote by forsaknazrael
Why don't you tell us more about the patches and settings you use on the RP, and what amps you're using at rehearsals?

well, my "best sounding in studio" patch has the next eq: b:0 m:10 t:10, and still sounds a tad too weak in the mix
amps? i used all tube randalls, marshalls, hh electronics; combo peaveys, marshalls... etc
MY GEAR:
Digitech RP250
Stagg Acoustic
Ibanez RGA32 (EMG 81/85)
Maybe your reverb is too wet? Too much reverb can make it disappear. Back it right off.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Maybe your reverb is too wet? Too much reverb can make it disappear. Back it right off.

not using reverb :P
Quote by forsaknazrael
If you're using all those good amps...why bother using the RP250 at all?

those amps are only for use in the studio....
i have to make a good sound (at least until i get a good amp of my own) on the rp250 so i have the same good sound on every amp i plug in
Quote by denied
It sounds like the processor is losing some of your mids. You've boosted mids on both the amp and processor?

actually no, just the processor... amp EQ is flat
i have a feeling that the processor's EQ is crap... i think i got more EQ response even from my frontman
ill check it out on my next rehearsal
MY GEAR:
Digitech RP250
Stagg Acoustic
Ibanez RGA32 (EMG 81/85)
Last edited by Nesha Strah at Jun 30, 2010,
Quote by denied
Oh, then definitely raise your amp mids. That should do it.

Again, keep it easy on the bass, don't let things get muddy.

thx m8
MY GEAR:
Digitech RP250
Stagg Acoustic
Ibanez RGA32 (EMG 81/85)