Strong Persuader
# Robert Cray - guitar, vocals
# Richard Cousins - bass
# David Olson - drums
#Peter Boe - keyboards
(with the Memphis Horns)

Arguably the classic Robert Cray album of the 1980s, Strong Persuader marked the transition of a musician from little national or international recognition, to a musician with widespread appeal. It's little wonder that an album such as Strong Persuader truly propelled Cray into the limelight.

Cray's strong vocals support the guitar playing nicely, and clearly the outstanding track for many would be 'Smoking Gun'. Opening the album, it showcases Cray's lead playing in the solo. It also emphasises the direction Cray is taking his own version of the blues. Relying on some of the same themes 'traditional' to the blues as a whole, Cray has woven an album of material relevant to a modern audience.

'I Guess I Showed Her' whilst not the most memorable track on the album in terms of playing, the song, together with 'Nothin' But a Woman', contains some excellent and witty lyrics!

Cray overturns the famous blues idea of a woman having an affair with another man, in 'Right Next Door (Because of Me)', by himself being the 'Strong Persuader' that causes the end of a relationship between a woman and the man "that really loves her". This song (and pretty much of the rest of the album) can be considered classic Robert Cray, highlighting in particular his lead style, and wonderfully clean strat tone.

'Still Around', the 5th track on the album continues with Cray's style of lead playing in the solo, and contains some of the more powerful vocals on the album. The song is not necessarily a definitive classic in Cray's arsenal, but fits the album's tone and direction brilliantly.

'Foul Play' furthers the 'modern blues' feel and theme of the album that personally I believe emanates from the album - "Said they'd hired a younger man/ I suspect Foul Play".

'I Wonder' and 'Fantasized' open with some invigorated lead playing, and add a slightly different flavour to the proceedings.

The tracks 'New Blood' and 'More Than I Can Stand' don't seem to me as strong as the rest of the album, of which at least half I would consider to form some Cray's classics. There is plenty of excellent Robert Cray music across his career, but Strong Persuader particularly highlights the strengths of this guitarist/singer.

So that's it really, one of my favourite albums from an absolutely fantastic guitarist. Perhaps my only gripe with this album is that it's made me want to buy a Strat! Feel free to leave any comments/suggestions (given that it's my first time doing an AOTM I'd appreciate this), and I hope you enjoyed the read.
Great album. Stuck.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I love the song Foul Play off this album
Some of my gear:
Epi Les Paul Custom
Fender American Special Tele
Gibson ES-339
London City Strat copy
Other Strat copy
Taylor Big Baby (acoustic)
Ibanez SGT 130 (acoustic)

Trace 2x 12" guitar amp
Dime Distortion
Quote by MXFNCK
I love the song Foul Play off this album

Brilliant song, my favourite of his.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
awesome album, i discovered it when i was looking for an eric clapton cd in my mams box of cds, saw a man with a guitar on the front, had a listen and thought wow, i love the song 'right next door' i would love to be able to play it but i find it too hard to transcribe by ear, and there isnt any tabs for it that i can find
Wanna know what gear i have? check my profile
Black Beauty Owners Group
Muddy Waters invented electricity

Paul Kossoff = Genius
Quote by gangsta_rick
awesome album, i discovered it when i was looking for an eric clapton cd in my mams box of cds, saw a man with a guitar on the front, had a listen and thought wow, i love the song 'right next door' i would love to be able to how to learn guitar but i find it too hard to transcribe by ear, and there isnt any tabs for it that i can find

Excellent album it is. But I am with you rick, I somehow find it hard to transcribe it by ear but I'm still trying. Hopefully someone could post any tabs for it though
Last edited by ndrewoods at Aug 14, 2011,
"Strong Persuader" is a great disc to jam with. His songs are not "everyday 3 chord" but not complex either. His lyrics are finely written. His vocals are very expressive and unique. He doesn't sound like anyone else & nobody sounds at all like him. Someone mentioned his tone. I noticed that right away too. He plays alot in the notch positions. I noticed on DVDs he'e always got a Matchless or two behind him. On the song "I Wonder" he gets a certain edgy nervousness in his guitar solo. His arrangements have a unique simplicity. When any artist becomes as recognizeable as Robert, they have truley "made it". I noticed that Robert plays "The Big Rooms" in Vagas and Tahoe. Those are solid and excellent paying jobs to play. Nevada's great. Musicians are working everywhere from small clubs to the Big Rooms. I worked as a musician in South Lake Tahoe and Reno both for years. I live in California now, but I loved living in Nevada. The entertainment industry is so busy up there. You might get done with your gig for the nite @ 3 or 4 AM and then meet at a popular hangout where players gather and jam.
Today was the first time I heard Robert Cray. I thought Seal had teamed up with Pink Floyd/ Dave Gilmour. Unfortunately I didn't catch the name of the song or the album, but I'll start here.

If anybody thinks they might be able to help be find the specific song or album though, don't be shy. It was very organ heavy, and not particularly upbeat, but also not too slow. That probably doesn't narrow it down at all, but I figure it's worth a try, even if only for a point in the right direction.
So Organs and middle of the road tempo?

Hey, you've narrowed it down to 90% of his songs!

You don't happen to recall any of the lyrics? Or maybe the "style" it fit into? Was it a I-IV-V blues, for example?
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
. I knew it wouldn't be much help. All I remember is it sounded like pink floyd. It had a pretty slow/scarce guitar solo, (only playing a few licks every bar, slow bends,) and as I said the organ played a pretty big role. It was only playing chords, but was pretty high in the mix.

I can't even recall what kind of progression it was, or the lyrics. I heard during a break in sets at a cover gig I was playing, so as soon as I hopped back on stage I forgot pretty much everything about it.

I read somewhere that at some point in his career he stopped with the upbeat songs for a little while. If this is correct, I'd place this song/album somewhere close to that point.
I saw him in concert around the time that album was released(it might have been that tour for the album, cant remember) and it was a great show. It was at "The Mosque" (now called the Landmark Theatre) in Richmond, Virginia where the acoustics are second to none. As a matter of fact, also saw SRV there as well.
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads