my book says "A triplet occupies the same lengh of time normally occupied by two notes of the same value"

so if you have 3 half notes does that last for 4 beats of 6, im confused
if its only 4 whats the point in triplets ? becase if you have, say 3 quarter notes that still only last the same lengh of time that 2 quarter notes why is there 3?

i've most probably just not uderstood this properly.

thanks.
better shred than dead
It's an awful way of expressing it. This is how I'd interpret it though;

So if you were counting out a bar in 4/4 time with 8th notes you'd count it like so;

1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and (end bar)

So there's two counts per beat.

But if you were to count them out as triplets it would be;

1 and a 2 and a 3 and a 4 and a (end bar)

So there's three counts per beat, rather than two. But it's still a strange way of expressing it.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
i understand what the book means, but i already know what triplets are. honestly, that is a pretty awful explanation.

alan's example is spot on.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.

This is a good picture of what that book is talking about. Notice how the 3 8th notes on top take up the same amount of beats as the 2 on the bottom staff? That's what that definition is saying.
Quote by DiminishedFifth

This is a good picture of what that book is talking about. Notice how the 3 8th notes on top take up the same amount of beats as the 2 on the bottom staff? That's what that definition is saying.

This.

DiminishedFifth seems to answer every question in MT.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
Quote by GoIrish668
This.

DiminishedFifth seems to answer every question in MT.

Don't give me more credit than I deserve! But thank you :]

Honestly, I got brought up by the likes of Griff, darren, FP, Archeo Avis (many may hate him; I enjoyed him) and many others. Aeolian came after I started, but now we're even!
^ i'm flattered

I liked Archeo, it was enjoyable to read his posts What happened to him?
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Jun 30, 2010,
Quote by griffRG7321
^ i'm flattered

I liked Archeo, it was enjoyable to read his posts What happened to him?

I asked this question awhile ago... I got various answers. The most probably one (and most often said) was that he moved to somewhere where he won't have internet connection for a long while. The other answer (and least probable) is that he died. I honestly don't hope it's the second! I'd be sad

Pretty sure it's the first though... now I'm waiting on the second coming
archeo? man, i don't know why i waited until 7/09 to join the forums. i should have joined back when i first found this site in 12/07.

oh well. so ist das Leben.
Quote by AeolianWolf
archeo? man, i don't know why i waited until 7/09 to join the forums. i should have joined back when i first found this site in 12/07.

oh well. so ist das Leben.

Have you ever read Archeo's posts? It's a longshot, but I would say he was one of the most booksmart people on here. He DEFINITELY knew his stuff.

His only fault? He didn't really say it in the nicest way possible sometimes xD
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Have you ever read Archeo's posts? It's a longshot, but I would say he was one of the most booksmart people on here. He DEFINITELY knew his stuff.

Him and bangoodcharlotte were probably two of the smartest people around when I joined but they were definitely two of the most arrogant . Luckily there was always (that's supposed to be : followed by D) to diffuse the tension.
Last edited by 12345abcd3 at Jun 30, 2010,
Quote by DiminishedFifth

kind of reminds me of most of us here on MT. i don't know, i'd like to think that, collectively, we're a pretty intelligent group. i've lost a lot of my arrogance, though -- somehow talking to guitarmunky over the course of half a year makes you lose your elitism.

anyway, TS, the image that d-fifth provided you with is pretty cut-and-dried; that's precisely what triplets are.
Wow. It's kind of interesting to hear about MT before I came here. I've been in the Pit since I registered, but when I got decent at theory, I decided to check this forum out.

First thing I learned: THOSE AREN'T MODES!
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Diminished5th, where did you get that triplets over eights example from? I have been studying that stuff lately.
Quote by spiderjump
Diminished5th, where did you get that triplets over eights example from? I have been studying that stuff lately.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyrhythm
Quote by DiminishedFifth

Lol, I remember one time I got in a 9 page argument with him. He kept trying to tell me that major thirds didnt need to be flat, minor thirds didnt need to be sharp, etc etc.

Yikes, he didnt like to be wrong
Quote by tubatom868686
Lol, I remember one time I got in a 9 page argument with him. He kept trying to tell me that major thirds didnt need to be flat, minor thirds didnt need to be sharp, etc etc.

Yikes, he didnt like to be wrong

Oh definitely not xD

But he definitely knew enough to back up anything he said and he made his mark here.

Just wondering... do you mean about how major thirds are technically a little sharper than they should be in our 12-TET system?
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Oh definitely not xD

But he definitely knew enough to back up anything he said and he made his mark here.

Just wondering... do you mean about how major thirds are technically a little sharper than they should be in our 12-TET system?

The argument was that in 12 tet every interval is the exact same distance apart, and even in chords, you shouldnt have to alter the pitch of the note for tuning. That was his argument.

The problem is, even after a couple hundred years now, our ears dont totally hear in 12 tet. We still hear just intonation in chords. Our ears want major thirds to come down 17 cents, minor thirds to go up 12 cents, and perfect fifths to go up 2 cents. In fact, in the world of wind and fingerboard instruments, your considered an idiot if you dont know that.

Of course, he wouldnt have any of that Finally I got the testimony of a very prominent college teacher/freelancing tuba player that I study with on occasion, and he believed me.

But the worst part was that everyone who came in the thread was like, "Oh if archeo says it, then it must be true." Even though he was clearly wrong. I understood his argument, but he was trying to say balancing chords this was is not common practice
Quote by shredda2084
my book says "A triplet occupies the same lengh of time normally occupied by two notes of the same value"

this is the technical way of explaining it, and yeah it does make sense, but it's a bit hard to get your head around unless you're pretty good at reading music.

the easiest way to figure out triplets is by listening. find an audio sample or something similar with triplets in it, and learn the rhythm from that.
2009 Epiphone Dot Natural
Vox VT100 Valvetronix
Last edited by JMF3 at Jul 1, 2010,
Quote by tubatom868686
The argument was that in 12 tet every interval is the exact same distance apart, and even in chords, you shouldnt have to alter the pitch of the note for tuning. That was his argument.

The problem is, even after a couple hundred years now, our ears dont totally hear in 12 tet. We still hear just intonation in chords. Our ears want major thirds to come down 17 cents, minor thirds to go up 12 cents, and perfect fifths to go up 2 cents. In fact, in the world of wind and fingerboard instruments, your considered an idiot if you dont know that.

Of course, he wouldnt have any of that Finally I got the testimony of a very prominent college teacher/freelancing tuba player that I study with on occasion, and he believed me.

But the worst part was that everyone who came in the thread was like, "Oh if archeo says it, then it must be true." Even though he was clearly wrong. I understood his argument, but he was trying to say balancing chords this was is not common practice

I think I remember this argument... I think this was the same thread I read that EVH tunes his B string just a little flat to compensate.