well, if you saw me play you wouldn't think im a beginner, but really, i know **** all about the theory side of guitars, so i thought it's time i actually started it, and im a deep thinker when im learning, i always want to understand every aspect, and because of this i get confusd easily :S

so, i've looked everywhere for this... and i just can't find an answer o_o

so.... there's chords... so im think...hmmm they're all played at the low frets... so what about the rest of the frets? are there no such thing as chords for all the higher frets? o_O

thanks for anyone who helps (or attempts to help )
Chords are just made of at least 3 notes played in unison, it can be anywhere on the neck. Start learning the notes on the fretboard, then start looking up how chords are formed from scales.
Chords are played anywhere - at the most basic level a chord is just 3 or more individual tones played simultaneously.

Best thing to do is start at the beginning. Learn the notes on the fretboard then start with intervals and the basics of the major scale.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by sadistic_monkey
Chords are just made of at least 3 notes played in unison, it can be anywhere on the neck. Start learning the notes on the fretboard, then start looking up how chords are formed from scales.

ah ok thanks, that's helped me quite a lot since i know the e minior scale, quick question if you know, what would the e minor scale be if i moved it all up one fret because i was looking at this yesterday and i confused me a bit
Quote by zukias
well, if you saw me play you wouldn't think im a beginner, but really, i know **** all about the theory side of guitars, so i thought it's time i actually started it, and im a deep thinker when im learning, i always want to understand every aspect, and because of this i get confusd easily :S

so, i've looked everywhere for this... and i just can't find an answer o_o

so.... there's chords... so im think...hmmm they're all played at the low frets... so what about the rest of the frets? are there no such thing as chords for all the higher frets? o_O

thanks for anyone who helps (or attempts to help )

Not to be rude, but if you're claiming to sound experienced at guitar, while at the same time not knowing about 'chords on higher frets', you're being a little cocky.
Also it's much easier to help you when you punctuate your post, so that we can understand more of what you are saying.

EDIT:
Also that scale what be F minor.
Quote by DontPushMongo
Not to be rude, but if you're claiming to sound experienced at guitar, while at the same time not knowing about 'chords on higher frets', you're being a little cocky.
Also it's much easier to help you when you punctuate your post, so that we can understand more of what you are saying.

EDIT:
Also that scale what be F minor.

well not to sound big headed but if i saw someone perfecting pantera solos i wouldn't think them as a beginner :S , i did say, i know **** all about theory,

you cant really say much now days without sounding big headed can you o_O
You seem to be referring to open chords (chords which use open (unfretted) strings. You can play these same chords anywhere on the fretboard by barre-ing the notes that would otherwise be open strings.

So the basic open C Major chord is:

-0-
-1-
-0-
-2-
-3-
-x-

But you could also play this same shape in, for example, E, if you wanted to:

-4-
-5-
-4-
-6-
-7-
-x-

or any other key.

As the others said, chords are made up, in their most basic form, of three notes, the root, the third, and the fifth. The Root tells you the basic note that the chord, and any underlying scale, is based on, the Third tells you if it is major or minor, and the fifth is, in this case, just like a filler-note that gives the chord more body.

So, for the open C you have:

-0- E (natural third -major chord)
-1- C (root note)
-0- G (fifth)
-2- E (natural third -major chord)
-3- C (root, in the bass)
-x- (muted)

Maybe that's too involved or too basic, but that's to get you started.
Ibanez AF105VB
Ibanez RG2550Z
MIM '92 Fender Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
and that's it. done buying stuff. probably.
Learning a Pantera solo, perfecting it, and moving on to another Pantera solo and doing the same thing doesn't make you at all a good guitarist. But anyway, I think you should learn the CAGED system.
CAGED = C Major, A Major, G Major, E Major, D Major.
If you know all of those open chord shapes, you can play those chords all over the neck. Google the CAGED system and read about it, I'm not gonna waste my time explaining it when there's a million websites that will probably explain it much better than me.
Last edited by BgOslicK at Jun 30, 2010,
Quote by RDSElite
Ever heard of a power chord?

2 notes, not a chord.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
2 notes, not a chord.

yes, but no-one says 'power dyad'
Ibanez AF105VB
Ibanez RG2550Z
MIM '92 Fender Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
and that's it. done buying stuff. probably.
Quote by finetune
yes, but no-one says 'power dyad'

Haha awesome. I was wondering what it would be called
Quote by steven seagull
2 notes, not a chord.

No, not if you use the literal meaning of chord; in that case it has to consist of 3 or more different notes. However, I didn't mean to give an example of a ("fake") chord. It was meant to imply that someone who claims to be able to play Pantera's solos, apparently hasn't ever played power chords, thinking chords can not be played on "higher frets". Someone who plays Pantera must realise the existence of the power "chord", which (obviously) can also be played on "higher frets".
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
you can create all sorts of cool triads and move them everywhere! The real fun is bringing in that 4th tone though. Learn your intervals, and where you can find them at.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."