I have been buying pedals lately due to a hefty chunk of money ($360) for my birthday. I have already bought a wah pedal and an overdrive pedal. I plan on definitely getting a reverb and chorus, and possibly a flanger and compression sustainer, but am still iffy on whether I need a delay pedal or not. I don't use it that much, but think it could be very useful in the future. Any thoughts?
I called myself Joe Strummer 'cos I could either play all six strings at once, or none of them at all.

-Joe Strummer

She had to go 'cos she didn't know who Joe Strummer was.
My budget is about 350, but I want to buy some other pedals as well. I play any thing from classic rock to punk and a lot of Indie and new wave sort of stuff. I play my Fender Stratocaster through my VOX Wah and my Boss OS-2 into my Line 6 Spider III. However I'm picking up a used Marshall head and cab for $400. I'm thinking reverb is an absolute must, and delay is probably a must, as well, eh?
I called myself Joe Strummer 'cos I could either play all six strings at once, or none of them at all.

-Joe Strummer

Delay is probably the greatest creative tool I've ever encountered personally. Flanger is pretty much a gimmick - oh cool, it sounds like a jet.
Quote by Kozlic
Music doesnt need to be quality to be good.

Press eject, give me the tape, if you know what's good for you
Yeah I agree on the flanger, it sounds pretty good, but then again I probably wouldn't use it. I only use it for a handful of songs anyway. I'm not sure of what the Marshall head is, but I know she bought it along with 2 cabs for her son in 2005 for $1500. I think I'll end up going with the delay, though. I would find some sort of use for it. Now dropping the flanger that leaves me to a compression sustainer and a reverb. Any suggestions on those 2 stompboxes?

-Joe Strummer

for reverb i suggest the hermida reverb. 1 knob, therefore it will be easy to dail in your sound and its only $99.

I'd wait untill you get the amp before you get a compressor but a good one I can reccommend is the Retro Sonic Compressor. Perhaps a bit expensive but really good.
Well I go on ebay and can get these for damn good prices, so we'll see about these. Do you know anything about the EHX Holy Grail reverb and how it is? And for compression. Do you know anything of MXR's Supercomp, Visual Sound's Comp 66 or Boss's CS-3?

-Joe Strummer

The holy grail is ok. Not really what I want from a reverb. I would look into the malekko chicklet.

Chorus....look at cmatmods analog chorus, analogman chorus, dod 460, ehx small clone, malekko chorus.

Delay, I would get the malekko 616 tbh. The EHX memory boy/memory boy delxue is also great. If you want something more digital, the boss dd3, 6, and 7 are good.

Don't cheap out on compression, you'll end up with a ton of noise. I'd recommend a barber tone press. The retro-sonic is fantastic, as is the keeley and the rothwell love squeeze. It's a subtle effect, you could put it off till you can afford something quality.

Not a fan of flange at all.