I'm looking into writing a few ska basslines, along the lines of The Specials or Toots and the Maytals.
Anyone got any experience or tips of playing this style or perhaps some good basslines i could check out? thanks
NOFX - Bob
Mustard Plug - Mr Smilie
Rancid - Nihlism
Rancid - Who'd Have Thought?
Street Light Manafesto - Everything Went Numb (It's a five string ripper but I'm sure you could transpose it)
Operation Ivy - Knowlage (Super simple bass line and it's slick)
Leftover Crack - In My Grave
Leftover Crack - 500 Channels

Theres a couple good ones. And when in doubt pedle roots.
Lots of arpeggios and octave jumps...

A great song to learn octave jumps is Little Bitch by The Specials, the closest Horace Gentleman gets to freaking out.
Quote by ImaHighwayChile
Lots of arpeggios and octave jumps...

A great song to learn octave jumps is Little Bitch by The Specials, the closest Horace Gentleman gets to freaking out.

This

But if you're looking for specific songs:
Explosive- The Planet Smashers
Unyielding Conditioning- Fishbone
All My Best Friends are Metalheads- Less Than Jake
Anarchy Camp- NOFX
Most songs by The Toasters, Big D and the Kids' Table, The Specials, Madness, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones (especially some of the early stuff) etc.

There are a lot more great ska songs/basslines out there that haven't been mentioned
GEAR:
Musicman Sterling
Epiphone Flying V Bass
BC Rich Platinum Warlock Bass
Fender BG-31 MTB Acoustic/Electric Bass
Warwick Blue Cab 60 60W 1x12 Bass Combo Amp
Last edited by L30 at Jun 30, 2010,
If you don't learn the Israelites by Desmond Dekker, I shall personally bring him back from the beyond and we'll both smack you upside the head. If you want to go "old school" also learn "The Train to Skaville" by the Ethiopians and the original "Tide is High" by the Paragons.
you might like something from the Mighty Mighty Bosstones, they're kind of ska/rock but their songs are cool, simple and fun to play