I'm considering buying a fender, not even totally sure what kind yet, jaguar, tele, strat. However, I've heard good things about G&L guitars, how they're what Leo Fender originally envisioned. The G&L website isn't particularly informative and they're rather hard to find though, can anyone give me some information on how a G&L would stack up to a nice American Standard or Deluxe Fender, price comparision/value, how they're different
Quote by Guitar-est-GOD
I'm considering buying a fender, not even totally sure what kind yet, jaguar, tele, strat.

good deal

Quote by Guitar-est-GOD
However, I've heard good things about G&L guitars, how they're what Leo Fender originally envisioned.

not quite, G&L was formed after fender left music man, which was after fender left fender. so right around the early to mid 80's was when fender formed G&L with another badass that i can't remember right now for some reason.

these guitars are actually quite a far cry from an original fender guitar design. in his older age fender decided to start being quite innovative with guitar designs (unusual body woods, pups, bridges, and wiring). some people complain about the strange wiring for some guitars but they are very easily set back to something more traditional.

Quote by Guitar-est-GOD
The G&L website isn't particularly informative and they're rather hard to find though, can anyone give me some information on how a G&L would stack up to a nice American Standard or Deluxe Fender, price comparision/value, how they're different

well, G&L seems to use nicer pieces of wood from what i have seen, also G&L is much more liberal with their use of ash. they also use different pups. i would say both are good guitars but you can probably get a better deal on the G&L esp if you go used.

my roommate just got a quilted maple G&L from the 80's for about 500 bucks the other day, redic. you find these prices all the time too. i am thinking of picking up an ash ASAT and a couple other G&L just for some awesome 'cheap' guitars.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Noted, thanks. I've had a Schecter S-1 Elite for a few years and its been a solid guitar, I just feel as though it time for a change and since my new band has a lot more funky feel I figured that strat types would be the way to go
I've always been impressed by the bands I've seen that use G&L. Of course they also were using Divided by 13 and Matchless amps respectively...which might have had a little something to do with the tone.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
the couple of US-made G&Ls I've tried were very, very nice. Easily on a par with the Fender non-custom shop stuff, as long as you don't mind that it's a more modern style of guitar.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
my experience has suggested that an American G&L is a superior playing and sounding instrument when compared to any non-custom shop fender (try a G&L ASAT classic and then any tele, you'll see what I mean)

i think that the single largest factor in the difference in sound is attributable to G&L's own pickups (The MFD design). they seem to be much more versitile and articulate than anything fender has in its arsenal. to my ears, the MFD's have a slighty warmer tone than most fenders.

G&L's also have lots of little details that contribute to their improved sound/playability: the saddle lock bridge increases sustain and stability because of its mass and the way it locks the saddles together. the use of brass saddles warms up the tone (some also have brass frets). some G&L's offer switching options that arent available on fenders. as well, there are a number of different neck options available on G&L's that arent possible without going the fender custom route.

in my mind, G&L's are vastly superior to their fender counterparts, easily justifying the price difference (note, I own 2 G&L's and 1 fender). that, however, is purely subjective. you're gonna have to play a couple to get a sense of how they stack up and whether the difference between the G&L's and the Fenders is worth the price difference.
I very nearly bought a G&L Comanche instead of my PRS - they are beautiful guitars, and I'd say personally I'd take a G&L tribute series over a Fender American Standard any day... as for the USA series, they're beautiful instruments and if you're looking for a pure, bare bones strat/tele I can't fault them.
Even the non-American G&L guitars are very good for the price. The ASAT Special series is my personal favourite - they're amazing Telecasters.

Unfortunately, they are very hard to find in the UK, and their site, as you said, sucks hairy ass-balls.
I bought a G&L Comanche Tribute, new here in Mexico two months ago, and love the tone, the looks, and playability. Made in Indonesia, with some US Parts, at approximately half the price of the US model, I find that it suits me. I don't think, after playing this one, that I would opt for any other electric guitar. I play blues, country, and classic rock, and find that it sounds good in any of those genres. The owner's manual is pretty much centered on setting it up, I guess they figure if you can't turn volume and tone knobs to find your tone, you don't need this guitar. Mine has the "different" pickups on it, but I've found them to be great. I like to play blues stuff without a pick, and the pickups allow me to do that.

I've been playing for forty years or so, and have been through a few guitars and amps. My grandkids love me because they inherited all my old stuff. No one will pry my Comanche out of my hands!
i would take any G and L over any fender. i think the quality is better, i think they sound better, have better features and a huge one....are different than the oh so typical strat 99% of people use. jesus people lets get some originality.

but really, thier trems are better, thier switching options with thier tone cuts are nice, and i think they look better/cooler. they make anything from asian made 400-500 ones all the way up to 1500-2000 ones.