Hi

I'm a newbie to this so it will probably seem like a stupid question.

But I want to connect my guitar up to my computer to record onto my computer, what do I need? And whats the most cost-efficient (ie. cheapest) way to do this/cheapest 'item' I need to buy to be able to do this?

Thanks.
If your amp has a record out jack, you could get an adapter to plug that directly into your computer. Or, get and audio interface to record with, and some sort of DAW software, like audacity. Most interfaces will run you over 100 dollars if you want something decent.
Machine F**king Head \m/
Go for a USB interface. External soundcard.

Use Free amp modeling VSTs on clean signal.

=

professional sounding quality.
There is a guitar cord being manufactured that allows you to plug your guitar directly into a usb port. it has a 1/4" jack on one end and a usb jack on the other. it costs about 10-15ish dollars. It bypasses the need for an interface.

I use it, and it obviously costs waaay less than an interface, and I think it sounds better than using an interface.
Last edited by charles_ebarb at Jun 30, 2010,
^ Apparantly these USB guitar leads are rubbish...

I guess they are from the price but I have no experience with them...
This would be the cheapest thing to but for about 3 bucks, and download Audacity which is free to record. If your amp has a Line Out or a headphone jack then use that, if not then plug your guitar straight in but don't expect it to sound good.
Quote by Kämpfer
^ Apparantly these USB guitar leads are rubbish...

I guess they are from the price but I have no experience with them...

In terms of sound quality, I think an interface would clutter up your signal. and this cord really saves the need to buy an interface. I dunno, but I can't imagine myself wasting money on an interface, when there is a simple cord that does the same thing, for less.
Quote by pwrmax
This would be the cheapest thing to but for about 3 bucks, and download Audacity which is free to record. If your amp has a Line Out or a headphone jack then use that, if not then plug your guitar straight in but don't expect it to sound good.

+1
That's even better than the cord I was talking about! haha 3 bucks! FTW!
Quote by charles_ebarb
In terms of sound quality, I think an interface would clutter up your signal. and this cord really saves the need to buy an interface. I dunno, but I can't imagine myself wasting money on an interface, when there is a simple cord that does the same thing, for less.

Interfaces do alot more than just guitar stuff.

Also, I don't think you'd have much control over the volume / gain etc when using just a simple USB guitar lead...

EDIT: TS, if you aren't willing to save up a little bit for a decent set-up and really want the cheapest option? go with that little $3 adapter thing.
Last edited by Kämpfer at Jun 30, 2010,
Quote by Kämpfer
Interfaces do alot more than just guitar stuff.

Also, I don't think you'd have much control over the volume / gain etc when using just a simple USB guitar lead...

when recording from your line out or headphone jack, on your amp, you have the same control over your volume that you would with an interface.( I think)

I don't see why buying yet another volume nob in a signal chain already full of them would justify buying the interface. I agrre that the interface does more than just "guitar stuff." But trust me, there's is a simpler way than spending a $hit ton of money just to end up adding another volume nob.

A fool and his money are soon parted.
Quote by charles_ebarb
+1
That's even better than the cord I was talking about! haha 3 bucks! FTW!

Probably sounds the same in the end.
Quote by charles_ebarb
when recording from your line out or headphone jack, on your amp, you have the same control over your volume that you would with an interface.( I think)

I don't see why buying yet another volume nob in a signal chain already full of them would justify buying the interface. I agrre that the interface does more than just "guitar stuff." But trust me, there's is a simpler way than spending a $hit ton of money just to end up adding another volume nob.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Yes, But since I guess TS will be using his line-in (or mic input, but that isn't advised) wouldn't he need to work with problems such as latency etc? This puts a lot in charge of his on-board sound-card etc but usually these things aren't very reliable, and getting a good on-board sound card isn't exactly cheap.

Also, a "$hit ton of money"? it isn't that much

Do you have a link to any music that was recorded so cheaply that sounds good? I'm actually interested...

EDIT: wow that iphone amplitube thing is pretty cool.
Last edited by Kämpfer at Jun 30, 2010,
Quote by Kämpfer
Yes, But since I guess TS will be using his line-in (or mic input, but that isn't advised) wouldn't he need to work with problems such as latency etc? This puts a lot in charge of his on-board sound-card etc but usually these things aren't very reliable, and getting a good on-board sound card isn't exactly cheap.

Also, a "$hit ton of money"? it isn't that much

Do you have a link to any music that was recorded so cheaply that sounds good? I'm actually interested...

EDIT: wow that iphone amplitube thing is pretty cool.

TS has stated that he needed the cheapest way to record his guitar. A 3 dollar adapter is by an far the cheapest.

I personally don't have any examples to hand over, but I am sure that many of them can be found online.

I agree with you, I am interested in knowing if buying an interface is really worth the money or not.

How about this. since you have an interface an recording capabilities. ( I do not, btw) which means you have the ability to use the 3 dollar adapter into your recording software, thus bypassing your interface. Make a recording, then make another, using the same settings but this time use your interface. see what each of them sounds like, and post the results in a new thread. It would really be interesting, no doubt!
Quote by charles_ebarb

LOL, come back when you know what you're talking about. Interfaces come with built in sound cards which generally improve audio quality, making it less fuzzy and genrally better quality. They also have technology which prevents latency, I guarantee using any kind of plug to plug the guitar straight to the computer will create a lot of latency. Also many interfaces are used for more than one instrument to be used at the same time for recording, e.g. many XLR inputs, many guitar inputs. And you can get decent interfaces for only a couple times the price of cables like that.
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
Quote by robbo546hall
LOL, come back when you know what you're talking about. Interfaces come with built in sound cards which generally improve audio quality, making it less fuzzy and genrally better quality. They also have technology which prevents latency, I guarantee using any kind of plug to plug the guitar straight to the computer will create a lot of latency. Also many interfaces are used for more than one instrument to be used at the same time for recording, e.g. many XLR inputs, many guitar inputs. And you can get decent interfaces for only a couple times the price of cables like that.

I honestly doubt TS is concerned with latency or any other crap. he asked for the cheapest way, we told him.
unless your interface cost less than three bucks, you lose.
Quote by charles_ebarb
TS has stated that he needed the cheapest way to record his guitar. A 3 dollar adapter is by an far the cheapest.

I personally don't have any examples to hand over, but I am sure that many of them can be found online.

I agree with you, I am interested in knowing if buying an interface is really worth the money or not.

How about this. since you have an interface an recording capabilities. ( I do not, btw) which means you have the ability to use the 3 dollar adapter into your recording software, thus bypassing your interface. Make a recording, then make another, using the same settings but this time use your interface. see what each of them sounds like, and post the results in a new thread. It would really be interesting, no doubt!

I don't have an interface anymore that's why in my signature it has an interface listed in the items I want to get but don't have right now.

Give me a few weeks and I'll be able to Record (I'm getting a computer upgrade and buying an interface)

I don't have an amp, I used to use the method I think I described in my first post (I can't remember if I did, sorry) which involves using a clean signal of a guitar and applying VST effects (free amp modeling AcmeBarGig, LePou, Nick Crowe etc)to the tracks.

I could apply the VSTs to a guitar track recorded with a $3 adapter thin (I have one somewhere) and compare it to a track recorded with an interface with the VSTs on it.

Sound good? I'll do the comparison in a few weeks.
Basically, I'm not a very skilled guitar player, the recording reason is just to start up a one man Black Metal (or maybe Grindcore) project, possibly get a few songs together etc. My skill level can't justify a big pricey interface, as basically I'm a crap guitar player but just like coming up with my own Black Metal and Grindcore type stuff.

So thanks for all of your suggestions and input, but I'll just stick with the cheapest method right now.
Last edited by Dual09 at Jun 30, 2010,
BLACK METAL?!

damn you should have said that right away. I used to record my own black metal one man project stuff.

I used my guitar going into a distortion pedal going into the computer's line in. That's all you need for the kvlt.
Quote by Kämpfer
I don't have an interface anymore that's why in my signature it has an interface listed in the items I want to get but don't have right now.

Give me a few weeks and I'll be able to Record (I'm getting a computer upgrade and buying an interface)

I don't have an amp, I used to use the method I think I described in my first post (I can't remember if I did, sorry) which involves using a clean signal of a guitar and applying VST effects (free amp modeling AcmeBarGig, LePou, Nick Crowe etc)to the tracks.

I could apply the VSTs to a guitar track recorded with a $3 adapter thin (I have one somewhere) and compare it to a track recorded with an interface with the VSTs on it.

Sound good? I'll do the comparison in a few weeks.

That's an excellent idea! be sure to pm me when you have the results and have posted your thread, ok!
Quote by charles_ebarb
That's an excellent idea! be sure to pm me when you have the results and have posted your thread, ok!

OK, I will do this but to my understanding, not using an interface will add noise into your DI signal, as well as add unpleasant coloration to the sound.