The first time i saw Emil werstler of DAATH play his guitar, i was confused jealous envious but above all i wanted to learn everything about his playing style because of how captivated i was and still am. I to watched his jamplay lesson video on youtube.com but I didn't understand why he kept saying the word jazz until i watched the video while i was high as hell and i finally understood.

Apparently he's a jazz influenced metal musician. I love his playing style his songs, his solo's and i want to know how i would go about incorporating jazz into my metal playing. PLEASE HELP!!
Listen to Jazz. Learn some songs. Getting a teacher would benefit you a lot more than you think.

After this, listen to more metal. Incorporate your own newfound Jazz capabilities into the metal songs you write. There. You have done it!

Or, alternatively, you could learn and analyze Jazz-influenced guitarists/bands that have jazz-based metal songs.
Learn some jazz standards, Autumn Leaves is a good start.
You've gotta learn how jazz musicians form their chords and their melodies, then apply the concepts in a metal context.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
The jazzy metal artists I know like On the Virg, incorporate more complicated chord sequences and time signatures and the general atmosphere of the piece is not so 'heavy'. I suggest making sure that the bass is very clean, the drums are light (not much use of cymbals) , maybe use a keyboard on a kind of EP sound and don't put too much distortion on the guitar.

For playing style I would use more complex rhythms as most 'jazz rock' or jazz metal' people do, but I have also noticed that the solo styling of the instruments is MUCH more influenced by jazz than rock, it may have a heavier backing but the solo's are jazzy, not any sweep picking or shredding.
Q: What's the difference between a Mexican standard tele and an American standard tele?

A: £600
Without knowledge of how to write and play both genres decently you'll sound like nothing more than a guy who's trying to fuse to genres together who doesn't really know what he is doing.
Last edited by MapOfYourHead at Jun 30, 2010,
Quote by jenguind
The jazzy metal artists I know like On the Virg, incorporate more complicated chord sequences and time signatures and the general atmosphere of the piece is not so 'heavy'. I suggest making sure that the bass is very clean, the drums are light (not much use of cymbals) , maybe use a keyboard on a kind of EP sound and don't put too much distortion on the guitar.

For playing style I would use more complex rhythms as most 'jazz rock' or jazz metal' people do, but I have also noticed that the solo styling of the instruments is MUCH more influenced by jazz than rock, it may have a heavier backing but the solo's are jazzy, not any sweep picking or shredding.

the first mahavishnu orchestra album had some flavors that could be considered "metal" by todays players...it was not considered rock or mainstream jazz but used those elements in it...the speed and virtuosity of the players (mclaughlin and cobham are not human) in ensemble and solo playing is some of the best in what is called "fusion"...in this configuration the drums are an essential part and cobham uses the cymbals with percision and mclaughlin uses distortion (could be natural as the volumn sounds maxed out)....the one "tune" - meeting of the spirit expresses the essense of fusion for many that have listened to alot of that style of music...the freedom of jazz will always be expressed in all styles of music...no matter what that style is called...rock/fusion/metal etc

play well

wolf
Last edited by wolflen at Jun 30, 2010,
Learn some Cynic!
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Can someone post some links to examples of jazz influenced metal? I've heard plenty of people talk about it, but I don't think I've heard a metal song that made me say "that sounds kinda jazzy!"
Quote by timeconsumer09
Can someone post some links to examples of jazz influenced metal? I've heard plenty of people talk about it, but I don't think I've heard a metal song that made me say "that sounds kinda jazzy!"

Here's what I could find...

Link to a previous thread about this and a few jazz/metal bands were mentioned.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1307546&highlight=jazz+metal+fusion

Also I this comes to mind
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsTMGeZG2ac
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?