I'm currently away on vacation at my cousin's house and he accidently spilled his water on my Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe and on the pickups. Obviously I'm really pissed off right now typing this. less than a teaspoon of water spilled into the neck pickup. will it still work? The pickups are open coil and i just cleaned it out as fast as i could. If i have to get it replaced than i'll make my cousin pay for it don't worry
let it dry a day or so before playing it again so all the water is evaporated
Drum drum drum away!
Give it a few hours to dry up and it should be fine. Maybe some WD-40 or those little packets in shoe boxes that absorb moisture will help.

Put it face down on a towel while you're at it.
Last edited by pwrmax at Jun 30, 2010,
Quote by pwrmax
Give it a few hours to dry up and it should be fine. Maybe some WD-40 or those little packets in shoe boxed that absorb moisture will help.

Would not advise this

Let it dry out completely before plugging it in and it should be fine. Just make sure it dries out completely.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
should not really matter much at all. a pickup is just two plastic bobbins, a magnet and insulated wire.
should be fine as no current goes through the pickups, and the copper winding should not rust, just leave it a day to dry out
i dont have this problem exactly, but i too would like to know exactly how vulnerable to water guitars and amps are in a situation like carrying them from the house to the car in the rain.
Actually, this one time at band camp... well, band trip.

I played bass guitar in a marching band with a wireless system. It wasn't raining where we played, it was POURING. We were all completely drenched. It was a Jay Turser P bass ripoff and every screw was rusted, the bridge was rusted, the jack was rusted ... but it still worked after then. That bass has also been through 4 Christmas parades.
The coils on passive pickups are covered in wax, which keeps them from giving feedback from any little vibration. It's might only be a little wax, but it'll keep the water out and not cause an corrosion. As for the screws or poles, they may not be as protected, so wipe those down. It'll be fine once it's dry.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
well its a mechanical part, not entirely electrical. so as long as the water clears, no harm will be done. to what? metal and magnets?

but i wouldnt play while wet. let em dry off. cant be good.

wikipedia : dave mustaine

"Another incident occurred when Mustaine, who had been drinking, poured a full can of beer down the neck and into the pick-ups of Ron McGovney's bass. When McGovney tried playing it, he received an electrical shock which he claims 'blew him across the room and shocked the hell out of him'. McGovney then told Mustaine and Hetfield to leave his house and left the band shortly after"
Quote by ikey_
well its a mechanical part, not entirely electrical. so as long as the water clears, no harm will be done. to what? metal and magnets?

but i wouldnt play while wet. let em dry off. cant be good.

wikipedia : dave mustaine

"Another incident occurred when Mustaine, who had been drinking, poured a full can of beer down the neck and into the pick-ups of Ron McGovney's bass. When McGovney tried playing it, he received an electrical shock which he claims 'blew him across the room and shocked the hell out of him'. McGovney then told Mustaine and Hetfield to leave his house and left the band shortly after"

if i remember correctly he used to use active basses tho which have an electrical current going through them when the guitar is plugged in....ive heard of people getting shocked from them but not to that degree
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
Try putting rice ON it, NOT in it.

It gets water out of cellphones, so maybe putting it on the pickups would work.

Hair dryer on cool?
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
Quote by Bertallica
The coils on passive pickups are covered in wax, which keeps them from giving feedback from any little vibration.
Not all of them. My pickups came un-potted, so I can talk into them and hear myself coming from the amp. Its fun :P

Anyways, it should not cause any damage. It's not like you spilled on your laptop keyboard and broke the A and Z keys and you now need to use an external keyboard cuz you're too lazy to go out and get the laptop keyboard fixed.....

But yeah, it should work fine.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Quote by al112987
should not really matter much at all. a pickup is just two plastic bobbins, a magnet and insulated wire.

well this is one of the reasons dave mustiane got kicked from metallica, he was so drunk he spilled beer on [former bass player] ron mcgovonry's bass pickups, literally electrocuting and sending ron flying across the room, and it might be cuz its a bass it might of gotten in the electronics, and theres more shit in beer than water that could be bad for a pickup, but it it gets into the wiring is wat id be worried about, but if its on purley the pickup itself, then you should be fine
Eh.
Just let them sit and dry. Passive guitar pickups are incredibly simple. The pickup wire is usually coated in enamel/poly-whatever, to prevent from shorting out. They are also most often potted in wax, so they don't get feedback whenever you use it.

So I don't really think you have anything to worry about.

Quote by Himelnator
well this is one of the reasons dave mustiane got kicked from metallica, he was so drunk he spilled beer on [former bass player] ron mcgovonry's bass pickups, literally electrocuting and sending ron flying across the room, and it might be cuz its a bass it might of gotten in the electronics, and theres more shit in beer than water that could be bad for a pickup, but it it gets into the wiring is wat id be worried about, but if its on purley the pickup itself, then you should be fine

But... He used active pickups, as said before, didn't he? Water+active pickups =/= good.

Pfft, he was probably just as shit drunk, there's no way he 'literally flew across the room."
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Jun 30, 2010,
Quote by kumamilesbear
Not all of them. My pickups came un-potted, so I can talk into them and hear myself coming from the amp. Its fun :P

I love doing that! I used to do it all the time with my ex-girlfriend's First Act!
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kumamilesbear

All passive pickups are potted. You can make your voice come out of any electric guitar as long as you have enough gain.

The pickups will be fine.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Quote by nav00
if i remember correctly he used to use active basses tho which have an electrical current going through them when the guitar is plugged in....ive heard of people getting shocked from them but not to that degree

I was gonna say, a tiny little 9V battery sending someone across the room?
Quote by SilverRock113
I'm currently away on vacation at my cousin's house and he accidently spilled his water on my Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe and on the pickups. Obviously I'm really pissed off right now typing this. less than a teaspoon of water spilled into the neck pickup. will it still work? The pickups are open coil and i just cleaned it out as fast as i could. If i have to get it replaced than i'll make my cousin pay for it don't worry

lol that remindes me of the time i spilled orange juice in my bands lead guitaist Boss ME-70 Guitar Multi-Effects Pedal certain settings still don't work....he was so pissed but we have been friends forever so he got over it
Quote by anthemprincess
lol that remindes me of the time i spilled orange juice in my bands lead guitaist Boss ME-70 Guitar Multi-Effects Pedal certain settings still don't work....he was so pissed but we have been friends forever so he got over it

Quote by SlayingDragons
Just let them sit and dry. Passive guitar pickups are incredibly simple. The pickup wire is usually coated in enamel/poly-whatever, to prevent from shorting out. They are also most often potted in wax, so they don't get feedback whenever you use it.

So I don't really think you have anything to worry about.

But... He used active pickups, as said before, didn't he? Water+active pickups =/= good.

Pfft, he was probably just as shit drunk, there's no way he 'literally flew across the room."

Ron used actives? i didnt no that, that explains alot, yeah ik that active pickups + water =/= good
Eh.
Long story short, my friend was trying to spray another friend with water. He pushed his hand, and now my starcaster had water in the pickups and fretboard. I got surface water off, but couldnt stop water from getting directly on surface of the pickups and inside them. I had the guitar in the bag, face up in our car. For the better part of an hour. Finally we got back home, and i plugged it in to see if it still worked, nothing. It seems i went against every piece of advice here without knowing till now. is there any hope for me? i have lessons this sunday and this is my ONLY (that's right) ONLY guitar. its now sitting face down on my bed. i need the quickest response POSSIBLE.
Quote by BigPoppaGask
Long story short, my friend was trying to spray another friend with water. He pushed his hand, and now my starcaster had water in the pickups and fretboard. I got surface water off, but couldnt stop water from getting directly on surface of the pickups and inside them. I had the guitar in the bag, face up in our car. For the better part of an hour. Finally we got back home, and i plugged it in to see if it still worked, nothing. It seems i went against every piece of advice here without knowing till now. is there any hope for me? i have lessons this sunday and this is my ONLY (that's right) ONLY guitar. its now sitting face down on my bed. i need the quickest response POSSIBLE.

Distilled water bro. Take it out and rinse with distilled water.
Quote by TheLifeguard
Try putting rice ON it, NOT in it.

It gets water out of cellphones, so maybe putting it on the pickups would work.

Hair dryer on cool?

what about sand...hshould he put some sand in it? XD

No, TS, I'd just let it dry, and the moisture absorbing p[ackets is a great idea.
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.